Phillies 2010 Season Thread

Started by SunMo, March 31, 2010, 06:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigEd76

Quote from: KDS on August 17, 2010, 12:02:39 AM
Does anyone get more mad than easy when phillies rivals beat awful teams?

I don't give pissed off every time a rival wins, but games like last night are extremely frustrating when McCann gets a hit off the unhittable Kuo, then Torre is too scared to go to Broxton and chooses the Pirate reject instead, who walks David f'ing Ross with the bases loaded, goes full on Melky and allows a 2-run bleeder past the shortstop for the loss.

SunMo

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/philadelphia-phillies%27-chances-look-mighty-healthy-081610

QuoteThe Phillies currently line up Hamels in the No. 3 spot, where he breathes easier. Just don't be fooled by his 7-9 record; it's an illusion. Baseball Prospectus calculates Hamels would be a 14-game winner if he were getting league-average run support (Hamels has given up 57 runs, but the Phillies have scored only 56 for him).
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

MDS

Johnny been riding the homer hamels train harder then he rides his under the table illegal immigrant work force
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

Utley activated from DL, Dobbs DFA'd. 

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Sgt PSN on August 17, 2010, 03:06:09 PM
Utley activated from DL, Dobbs ritualistically gutted with a rusty butter knife. 

If only...

SunMo

Rollins 6, Utley 4, Polanco 5, Werth 9, Victorino 8, Sweeney 3, Ibanez 7, Ruiz 2, Oswalt 1
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

nikkys record in games that have a total of five runs or less...meaning games where he doesnt get a lot of support but either does the other pitcher...basically low scoring tight pitchers duels

1-6

he always seems to find a way to lose those games
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

That's because his cock is more of a mangina.

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on August 17, 2010, 04:37:29 PM
nikkys record in games that have a total of five runs or less...meaning games where he doesnt get a lot of support but either does the other pitcher...basically low scoring tight pitchers duels

1-6

he always seems to find a way to lose those games

now go up and look at every 2 and 3 starters record in games like that throughout their careers.

then compare it to hamels.

because im willing to bet a lot of pitchers have zesty records in games where they dont get any run support

also the win/loss record is a totally meaningless and baseless stat. only stubborn old idiots value it. i mean, joe blanton got a no decision in his last start because the phillies scored 8 runs in the final 2 innings. im sure that means something.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

Is W/L record the tell tale stat of a pitcher's worth?  Of course not.  But it's most certainly a meaningful stat and to completely overlook it's value is just as dumb as over estimating it as well.  Citing IGY's example, 1-6 is not good and imo, gives some validity to his claim that Hamels can't pitch in tight games without throwing that 1 awful pitch that serves up a game changing hit. 

MDS

Quote from: Sgt PSN on August 17, 2010, 05:23:36 PM
Is W/L record the tell tale stat of a pitcher's worth?  Of course not.  But it's most certainly a meaningful stat and to completely overlook it's value is just as dumb as over estimating it as well.  Citing IGY's example, 1-6 is not good and imo, gives some validity to his claim that Hamels can't pitch in tight games without throwing that 1 awful pitch that serves up a game changing hit. 

no, not really. its pretty useless and really holds no bearing on anything.

i dont watch every pitch of every game but im willing to hedge a bet that hamels throws more than 1 bad pitch per game. so does every pitcher. its just that the hitter might miss that pitch, might take it, foul it off, etc. or maybe they take that 1 bad pitch and hit it into the stands. its kind of random how it goes.

point is hamels has pitched very well this season, run support or no run support. there really is no explanation for why blanton gets bailed out and why kendrick gets runs but hamels doesnt. its just the way baseball goes sometimes. its a maddening game. the problem is so many people treat it like football (every game is life or death, every start is a battle, etc.). football you can breakdown like that. baseball you cant.

hamels pitched a good game on friday. the mets got to him a bit but he only let 1 score. meanwhile dickey threw another great game and was on fire. 1-0 loss. sometimes it goes like that.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: KDS on August 17, 2010, 05:31:01 PM
hamels pitched a good game on friday. the mets got to him a bit but he only let 1 score. meanwhile dickey threw another great game and was on fire. 1-0 loss. sometimes it goes like that.

This is about the only part of your post that makes sense. 

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

ice grillin you

you dont even have to look at stats....if you actually watch the games you will see nikky almost always blinks first when in tight late games...he loves 7th inning homers
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous