The Sports Media Thread

Started by ice grillin you, October 21, 2009, 09:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munson

Well, it's no Joe Bryant still using PA license plates, that's for sure. But hey, now the time between when something boring on TNT is on will be funny.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

ice grillin you

ross greenburg is leaving HBO
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

espn will continue to air this moron but jettisons bruce feldmen....

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/espns-colin-cowherd-thinks-roger-goodell-is-a-dad-to-fatherless-black-nfl-players/

Colin Cowherd has some interesting views when it comes to fatherhood. Back in November of last year, Cowherd went on a strange rant about Washington Wizards point guard John Wall, and how Wall's lack of a father meant that he probably wasn't cut out to run an NBA team.

The comments touched a nerve, since a) Wall's father is dead, and b) there was some perceived race-baiting in Cowherd's previous criticisms of Wall (who is black, and who Cowherd criticized for doing "The Dougie," a distinctly black dance move, during a game). So the "You don't have a dad, so you can't lead" thing was the last straw for some people.

Well, it would appear that Colin Cowherd, professor of sociology, is back at the microphone. And this time he has a theory about Roger Goodell and NFL players who don't have dads.

Cowherd references a column by CBS' Gregg Doyel, in which Doyel compares the NFL commissioner to a strict father and refutes the claim by some players and media outlets that Goodell purposely disciplines black players more than white ones.

Cowherd then takes the column and uses it as a jumping-off point for this argument: since 3 out of 4 NFL players are black, and since 71% of African-American men grow up without fathers (I'm not sure where Cowherd got this figure from, but according to the Census Bureau, 56 percent of black children lived in single-parent families in 2004), and since star football players don't get told what to do in high school and college, the NFL is the first time some of these guys have ever had a dad. Which, based on Cowherd's logic, would mean Roger Goodell, who looks like a much bigger version of Bobby from The Brady Bunch, is a dad to roughly 1,017 black NFL players.

Geowhizzer

QuoteRoger Goodell, who looks like a much bigger version of Bobby from The Brady Bunch, is a dad to roughly 1,017 black NFL players.

Roger Goddell = Shawn Kemp?

MDS

craig james is such a funhole
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

DH

Adam Amin is a buddy of mine..he's got a good strong voice, actually just finalized the gig two days ago

PhillyPhreak54

ice grillin you

the wepner one should be awesome

PhillyPhreak54

Yep...

The Bayonne Bleeder...I saw a piece on him awhile back and it was pretty damn good.

PhillyGirl

Hugh Douglas was hired by ESPN and starts tonight.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

ice grillin you

eagle preseason games just got a lot better

PhillyGirl

Chuck Gormley leaving to cover the Caps.

That sucks, I really liked his hockey writing compared to most of the local ones.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: PhillyGirl on August 01, 2011, 03:04:04 PM
Hugh Douglas was hired by ESPN and starts tonight.

4pm on NFL Live

PhillyPhreak54

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phillygossip/Will-WIP-soon-take-over-WYSPs-signal.html

QuoteStrong rumors around the local CBS Radio cluster suggest that 94 WYSP will become the FM home of Sportsradio 610 WIP and drop its longtime rock format around Labor Day.

WIP program director Andy Bloom said that he could neither confirm nor deny the rumor but that there were rumors about the stations all the time. CBS Radio market manager Marc Rayfield said essentially the same thing.

But CBS Radio recently flipped two underperforming music stations - WJZ FM in Baltimore and WBZ in Boston - to sports.

When WIP's rival sports-talk station, ESPN 950 AM, began to be simulcast on 97.5 The Fanatic in 2009, it made a tremendous increase in listenership - especially young listeners who are targeted by advertisers.

One possible sign of 'YSP's future could be Danny Bonaduce, the biggest name and salary at the station. His most recent contract was renewed for only one year

Munson

I would hate that move, simply because The Phanatic already gives me my fill of FM sports talk and there are only 3 rock stations in Philly.

They (WYSP) just need to stop being so stubborn and start playing some modern day rock/alt. No 24 year old on his way home from work in the afternoon wants to hear Twisted Sister for the 18th time that day.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds