Pool

Started by Tomahawk, May 16, 2010, 03:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Most trick shots, including that one, are more about proper set up than they are about actual skill and execution.  That's one of the easier trick shots to do as long as all the balls are set up properly because there isn't a great deal of cue ball control required to pull it off.  In all seriousness, a player of Lee's caliber could probably perfect that shot in no more than 5 tries.     

rjs246

A player of Lee's caliber doesn't get to be of that caliber by practicing shots 5 times. Dummy.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

SD

I know no one here will admit to watching the Fresh Prince of Bel Air, but the episode where Will gets hustled only to have Uncle Phil bail him out was classic:

Geoffrey, break out Lucille

shorebird

Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 17, 2010, 01:49:38 PM
Most trick shots, including that one, are more about proper set up than they are about actual skill and execution.  That's one of the easier trick shots to do as long as all the balls are set up properly because there isn't a great deal of cue ball control required to pull it off.  In all seriousness, a player of Lee's caliber could probably perfect that shot in no more than 5 tries.     

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the placement of the balls, thats probably as important, or more important  than the stroke. But, imo she practiced a little more than three times to make it. You shoot, right? I think I remember you saying you quit APA because of all the sandbaging. Well, just so happens my APA team won our division in our league, 1st tier. We went to a place called the Green Room in Dundalk. Nice tables, good felt and wide pockets. But...I'm a 5, kinda' middle of the road player, and got my ass chewed up and spit out by a 3. Guy ran one rack, and another after I broke. 3's just don't do that crap, and the ref's never said a friggen' word. I was dumbfounded. Our team lost three straight matches, only won two games.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: rjs246 on May 17, 2010, 01:55:26 PM
A player of Lee's caliber doesn't get to be of that caliber by practicing shots 5 times. Dummy.

There's a huge difference between pool players and trick shot artists.  Lee is a pool player and will never, ever be challenged with making that shot during game play.  But as I said, that particular shot requires very little skill and is more about the set up, than the execution.  I gaurantee you she spends a lot more time setting up a rack and shooting one ball at a time than she does with trick shots. 

Quote from: shorebird on May 17, 2010, 02:04:13 PM
[Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the placement of the balls, thats probably as important, or more important  than the stroke. But, imo she practiced a little more than three times to make it.

I said 5x.  Tomato, Tomahto.  I've made that shot before and it took me about 10-15 tries to get the proper feel for the shot.  So if a hack like me can get it right in approximate a dozen tries, then I'm pretty sure one of the best players on the planet doesn't need as many attempts. 

You shoot, right? I think I remember you saying you quit APA because of all the sandbaging. Well, just so happens my APA team won our division in our league, 1st tier. We went to a place called the Green Room in Dundalk. Nice tables, good felt and wide pockets. But...I'm a 5, kinda' middle of the road player, and got my ass chewed up and spit out by a 3. Guy ran one rack, and another after I broke. 3's just don't do that crap, and the ref's never said a friggen' word. I was dumbfounded. Our team lost three straight matches, only won two games.

Yeah, I used to shoot APA for a couple years and got sick of the sandbagging.  I was a very strong 6/average 7.  The sandbaggers  kept farging up my handicap and I eventually got sick of it and quit playing.  I didn't shoot much over the last 3 or 4 years but over the last couple months I've slowly been working myself back in.  Found a local bar that has a tourney every other Saturday and some good money action every Friday night.  The bar has 5 tables and I'm not signing up for their tourney until I win at least $200 on each table in a single night.  2 tables down, 3 to go.  These are definitely some "used" tables so I gotta get a lot of shots in on each one before I start spending money on entry fees for a tourney every other week.

rjs246

Whatever.

Dummy.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Sgt PSN

Hold me, Pooh Bear. 

shorebird

Do you shoot rjs? Just wondering. Pool is a sport for old athletes. A fun game that involves absolutely no physical ability.

ice grillin you

to each his own but pool sucks and is not a sport

its a game

half credit

congrats
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

rjs246

Quote from: shorebird on May 17, 2010, 02:49:27 PM
Do you shoot rjs? Just wondering. Pool is a sport for old athletes. A fun game that involves absolutely no physical ability.

Hardly ever. But I'll swear up and down that I'm better with the stick when I'm drunk, which, coincidentally, is the only time I ever play.

Let them eat bootstraps.

shorebird

Thats most people. I can't get calmed down 'till I have at least two Bud's in me.

SD

Quote from: rjs246 on May 17, 2010, 02:55:32 PM

Hardly ever. But I'll swear up and down that I'm better with the stick when I'm drunk, which, coincidentally, is the only time I ever play.

Same and same. Amazing how much better you play drunk.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 17, 2010, 02:53:05 PM
to each his own but pool sucks and is not a sport

its a game

half credit

congrats

There's a difference between "sport" and "athletic competition.".  Pool, Bowling, Darts, etc are all sports even though there is very little or no athletic ability needed to play any of them.  Any pool player or dart thrower or bowler who ever refers to himself as an athlete is seriously mistaken though and annoys the living piss out of me.  They are sportsman, not athletes.  Just like pitchers and kickers.     

Sgt PSN

Quote from: SD on May 17, 2010, 02:59:08 PM
Quote from: rjs246 on May 17, 2010, 02:55:32 PM

Same and same. Amazing how much better you play drunk.

No one plays better drunk, they're just too drunk to realize how much they suck. 

SD

I am and trust me I'm a million times better.