Started by ice grillin you, March 28, 2006, 02:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

No state without pro sports or good food is coming
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

I get that and I'm cool with it. If that happened I'm moving in with you or Havas tho bc id have to leave

MDS

i have an empty room in my house i have no clue what to do with....come on over buddy
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Diomedes

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 01, 2021, 06:57:33 PMWay too white

Literally the only legit argument against.  Y'all can have the mid Atlantic.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Diomedes

Doing some errands of a Sunday; in this case, laundry.  Had a quick flashback to life before I had my own washer and dryer.  That was a long time, and now it's almost utterly forgotten.  Man, it was so nice to get that first place with my own washer and dryer.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Geowhizzer

Might just be that I'm (finally) at the last week of the school year (farging DeSantis) and exhausted, but this made me chuckle:

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1404203657999097856

https://twitter.com/JohnOates/status/1404246523265785863

PhillyPhreak54

Land in ATL and had to grab an Uber to my girlfriends cousins place in midtown. $75 for regular Uber or $77 for Uber Black. To go like 13 miles.

I chose the black since we'd be in an Escalade or Navigator or something.

Creeping through the beginning of rush hour and we got rear ended by some young dude in a Corolla not paying attention. He was prob going 15mph. Still gave us a good jolt and we caught a little whiplash. I hope I'm not too stiff in the AM from where I had the disc operation two years ago.

Nice start to the trip.

Diomedes

Rome

The city knew about the structural deficiencies.  So did the ownership group.  Motherfargers better lawyer all the way up. 

QB Eagles

Quote from: Rome on June 24, 2021, 04:32:07 PM
The city knew about the structural deficiencies.  So did the ownership group.  Motherfargers better lawyer all the way up. 

I would assume the owner will be found massively liable one way or another, but "structural deficiencies" isn't the same thing as "unsafe for occupation and and liable to collapse". I would bet that the root cause here was something that was not detected/anticipated. I don't think you're going to find someone who was warning the city and the owner that collapse was possible.

Rome

They knew.  It's a condominium btw:

QuoteCollapsed condo was about to begin corrosion repairs.

Credit...

Scott McIntyre for The New York Times
The 12-story condo building that partially collapsed near Miami early Thursday morning was about to undergo extensive repairs for rusted steel and damaged concrete, an attorney involved in the project said Thursday.

Kenneth S. Direktor, a lawyer who represents the resident-led association that operates the Champlain Towers South building, said an engineer had identified the needed repairs in order for the building to meet structural standards as part of a recertification process for buildings that are 40 years old.

"They were just about to get started on it," Mr. Direktor said in an interview.

Mr. Direktor said he has seen nothing to suggest that Thursday's collapse had anything to do with the issues identified in the engineering review. He said any waterfront building of that age would have some level of corrosion and concrete deterioration from exposure to ocean salts that can penetrate structures and begin rusting steel components.

If there had been anything to suggest that a collapse was possible, Mr. Direktor said, the process would have been handled much differently.

"What everyone is going to have to wait for is the results of a thorough engineering investigation," said Mr. Direktor, who emphasized that the building association was focusing now on helping find survivors and on supporting families.

Government requirements in many parts of South Florida require recertification reviews after 40 years in order to ensure the integrity of older buildings. Anticipating the recertification process at the Champlain Towers South building, which opened 40 years ago, managers had been preparing over the past year for possible repairs, Mr. Direktor said. In recent weeks, he said, the building had started undergoing roof repairs.

Mr. Direktor said engineers had a good idea of where the building needed restoration, but the extent of corrosion is often not clear until crews begin the work.

Charlie Danger, who retired as Miami-Dade County's building chief seven years ago and helped strengthen Florida's building codes after Hurricane Andrew in 1992, said that the county began requiring that structural engineers recertify buildings at the 40-year mark after a federal building collapsed in downtown Miami in 1974, killing at least six people.

With buildings close to the ocean, one of the concerns is that improperly protected rebar may rust and lead to concrete spalling, Mr. Danger said.

"If it was a structural failure, what you want is for the inspection to turn up those issues in time to do the work," he said.

Building inspectors also tend to worry about unpermitted remodeling inside a high-rise unit that might result in the elimination of a structural support column. "If you cut a structural column, your building is coming down," Mr. Danger said.

One resident at the Champlain Towers complex, Raysa Rodriguez, said tenants have also been wondering about whether impacts from construction on a neighboring complex could have played a role in the collapse. Ms. Rodriguez said the Champlain Towers complex had been shaking from tremors during the construction that was completed last year.

There have been other signs of concern at the complex. In 2015, a resident filed a lawsuit against the condo association, alleging that poor maintenance of the building allowed water to damage her unit after entering cracks through the outside wall. Daniel Wagner, an attorney for the resident, declined an interview but said in an email that the lawsuit related to the "structural integrity and serious disrepair" of the building.

The complex also showed signs of land subsidence in the 1990s, according to an analysis of space-based radar by a Florida International University professor. The 2020 study found subsidence in other areas of the region, but the condo complex was the only place on the east side of the barrier island where the issue was detected.

Kobi Karp, an architect whose firm has worked on a series of prominent buildings in Surfside and Miami Beach, said the way the building collapsed — and the fact that it was only 40 years old — suggested a possible internal failure. He said that might have been caused by deterioration at the point where a horizontal slab of the building meets a vertical support wall, which could lead one of the building's floors to suddenly fall, bringing the rest of the building with it.

That deterioration, Mr. Karp said, could have either happened slowly, such as over the last few years, or more suddenly if someone unintentionally damaged the structure of the building, such as while remodeling. He said there would have been signs of the structural weakening, like a crack in a wall or floor tiles, but residents may have missed or dismissed the signs, particularly in a condo where many people spend part of the year elsewhere.

Inspectors carrying out the recertification process would be looking for those kinds of flaws as well as rust and other signs of damage, he said.

"The 40-year certification is like a checkup," he said. "But this is like if I'm 40 years old and in good shape and suddenly I have a massive heart attack and die. We need to find out what happened to cause that heart attack."

ice grillin you

Quote from: QB Eagles on June 24, 2021, 06:32:43 PM
Quote from: Rome on June 24, 2021, 04:32:07 PM

I would assume the owner will be found massively liable one way or another, but "structural deficiencies" isn't the same thing as "unsafe for occupation and and liable to collapse". I would bet that the root cause here was something that was not detected/anticipated. I don't think you're going to find someone who was warning the city and the owner that collapse was possible.

if a hotel is made of steel and concrete and its steel and concrete are corroded im going with liable to collapse over structural deficiency
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

Quote:. "If you cut a structural column, your building is coming down," Mr. Danger said.

Mr. Danger.

MDS

how arent there 1,000 deaths with this thing...the video looked just like the towers collapsing on 9/11
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

It's summer in Miami.  Lotta snowbirds.  Also - there's usually only 1 or 2 people living in units like those type buildings in Florida, and they're mostly seniors too. 

There's a building called Peck Plaza here in Daytona.  It's the oldest high rise in east central Florida. It was closed after Hurricane Matthew precisely because of this issue. 50 yr-old buildings do NOT hold up against the salt and humidity down here.  They're building them much stronger now, but back then... they had no clue.

Also - if they were farging around with the infrastructure of the building by removing support columns during renovations, it was only a matter of time before the building collapsed.  Wouldn't surprise me if that was the case either.  People are really stupid.