Philadelphia

Started by Diomedes, October 19, 2006, 12:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

I mean, it's okay when monty python sings, or that kind of thing...

but dialogue?  that I'm supposed to take seriously in any way?  lol, no.  unbearable.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

General_Failure

The movie versions of Sweeney Todd, Grease, and Rocky Horror were all pretty good to great.

The man. The myth. The legend.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

national geographic came out with the top 25 places to visit in 2020....only two places in america made it and one was philly

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Why go now: Rediscover an American classic

What to know: There's a lot of glimmer in Philadelphia: vibrant murals and glinting metalworks, multihued mosaics and kaleidoscopic light installations, art collectives in garages, and a traditionally Italian neighborhood famous for cheesesteaks now sprouting vegan-punk-metal coffeehouses. Think of Detroit, Cleveland, and Cincinnati: resurgent, postindustrial American cities that are channeling creative forces to reinvent themselves for a new generation. Philly is like this but better. It's a scrappy underdog with a heart of gold and—who can resist the Rocky reference?—the eye of the tiger. Slowly but steadily Philly has changed from a city of industrial might in the first half of the past century to a city of ingenious makers. The evidence is everywhere, from buzzing BOK—a South Philly collective of small businesses and art spaces—to Bela Shehu's chic and cutting-edge fashion line NinoBrand, in Rittenhouse Square.

When to go: Year-round How to go: Base yourself at the Rittenhouse for old-school Philadelphia glamour or the new Notary Hotel, then head out to quirky culture spots the Mütter Museum and the Edgar Allan Poe House.

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

That's because it's a f'n great City.  I kinda hate to go there because it's so much like Baltimore in some ways, but so so much better.  Makes coming home a drag.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MDS

millcreek tavern in west philly hosted a proud boys party a few days ago. 2 years ago a nazi metal band played there. owner all over fb owning the libs.

penn and drexel frat boys just as racist as you thought
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Not shocking the mummers were loaded with MAGAts

MDS

the only thing less surprising than a racist mummers act is that the blackface dudes would unapologetically do an interview in blackface like its not a big deal

Rome

QuoteWhen asked what they would say to people who ask why put blackface on or why not put on any other color, Tomaszwski said, "What do I say to them? Don't worry about it, stay in your neighborhood. Don't worry about it. That's what I do."

Might as well be in farging Alabama. 

Christ what an embarrassing pos. 

MDS

never underestimate how racist big city republicans are. they are around different cultures and tons of diversity and they still come out kkk. its one thing for some hillbilly from alabama who has never seen a black person but these dudes live and work with people of different races and still are vile

Diomedes

I'm a white man in a work truck, doing jobs in Baltimore City, which in America means I'm like a perfectly bi-lingual person in a foreign country, taking it all in without anyone knowing yo comprendo.  The number of white dudes with racist views who think I'm in their club, and say things to me that they wouldn't say to a black dude, or to a white dude in a Subaru, is stupid high.

Earlier this week a near toothless boomer from the County working on a nearby house warned me the other day about my clients and their neighbors: "you know they're liberals, right?"  Yeah buddy, show your ass.  Dumb farg.  And no, I won't be moving my truck anytime soon, your help will have to go around to load your can.

PhillyPhreak54

That is accurate.

People here think I'm in the good ol boys club. I don't see it much from people within houston but it pops up from time to time. This city is one of the most diverse so every once in awhile I'll get a wink wink nudge nudge comment from some undercover racist thinking I share their views. I always tell them I don't subscribe to their bullshtein.

But where I run into it mostly is when I'm outside the city. Especially East Texas people. Unabashed full blown KKK shtein.

Munson

Driving through East Texas/West Louisiana was interesting, to say the least.

Of course we also made it a point to drive through the swamplands so maybe it's not all like that :-D

Jay I think I saw that Houston is still top 10 (maybe even top) in growing cities in the country this year. Do they have any Republican reps with a slice of the city left or were they all beat in 2018?
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds