Slingbox or Hava

Started by Zanshin, February 16, 2009, 03:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanshin

Hey, anyone here use a Slingbox or a Hava? I'm going to get one and I'm just trying to get the right solution.  Right now, I'm leaning toward the Hava Titanium Wi-Fi....but I see that buy.com has the Hava Platinum for about $70. 

I decided to get rid of Sunday Ticket (too expensive for the amount I get to watch these days), so I'm planning on keeping the new device with relatives in So. NJ during football season to make sure I still get the Eagles games. Nice thing about the Hava is that I can link it to my xbox 360 using it's media center extender functionality to continue to watch it on the big screen.

Anyway, wondered if anyone here had any experience with these things.....

Diomedes

I don't even know what those things are.  If Hava is anything like havas I strongly advise against it.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Seabiscuit36

Havas dont know shtein about electronics
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Zanshin

With both of those the idea is that you hook it up to any TV/DVR anywhere in the world, and can watch it anywhere else in the world where you're connected to the internet.  So instead of spending hundreds every year for Sunday Ticket to watch the Eagles, I can get one of these for, say, $70, in a one time expenditure and watch them...then in the offseason use it while on vacation, on the deck, at the gym...whatever.

hbionic

Im still not following....

Lets say I buy this thing here in Cali...I can watch eagles games on my television? How? Don't I have to pay a service fee or subscription or something?
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

mussa

I love your idea, making relatives pay for the NFL ticket and you getting it for free. God damn what else are they for
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Geowhizzer

Quote from: hbionic on February 17, 2009, 01:32:26 PM

Lets say I buy this thing here in Cali...I can watch eagles games on my television? How? Don't I have to pay a service fee or subscription or something?

I don't know the details, but the general idea is:

1.  You have to hook the slingbox to a TV in the Philly area.
2.  You can watch the channels from the slingbox on a computer.  Don't know if there is an extra charge for the hookup.

Zanshin

Quote from: mussa on February 17, 2009, 01:38:02 PM
I love your idea, making relatives pay for the NFL ticket and you getting it for free. God damn what else are they for

They don't have Sunday Ticket...they just get the games locally.

Zanshin

Quote from: Geowhizzer on February 17, 2009, 02:59:27 PM
Quote from: hbionic on February 17, 2009, 01:32:26 PM

I don't know the details, but the general idea is:

1.  You have to hook the slingbox to a TV in the Philly area.
2.  You can watch the channels from the slingbox on a computer.  Don't know if there is an extra charge for the hookup.

Right. And there's no hookup charge. Basically set it up and you can control all of the functions of the TV or DVR from a remote source, like a laptop or a cellphone.

Seabiscuit36

If the Hava worked in HD on my TV i'd do it in a heartbeat. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

MadMarchHare

Are you stuck watching what they're watching (i.e. what if they change the channel at halftime)?  Or do you just have access to their cable/satellite feed and can watch anything they have access to?
Anyone but Reid.

Zanshin

Well, if they have one TV, you're watching what they watch...and vice versa since you can control their channels, too...assuming they have one TV. In my case, I'm going to connect it to a TV/Box that they use maybe once every couple of months, so it's pretty much dedicated to this.