The Weather Thread

Started by ice grillin you, January 17, 2009, 12:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munson

It's not a new concept....schools up in upstate NY and those other areas cancel for cold weather all the time, they're used to this shtein.

The reaction in my district has been half and half...a lot of parents saying "it's for the safety of the kids!", other saying "man up!"
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Rome

It was 77 degrees here at 10:30.  The low tonight will be 29.

MDS

there was light sleet around here today

LIGHT. SLEET.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: Rome on January 06, 2014, 10:24:14 PM
It was 77 degrees here at 10:30.  The low tonight will be 29.

It was 50 where I'm at yesterday, by midnight it was 5 degrees.  Its 3 degrees outside now. 

And wifes school district did close about 2 minutes after i posted last night. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Geowhizzer

We got all the way down to... 47.

... but there's a WIND CHILL (emphasis by the weather bunnies down here)... of 42!

ice grillin you

its unbelievable to me that schools would close for this shtein.....im proud to say that no real maryland counties did....meanwhile just about all of virginia shut down....

virginia is for bitches
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

panhandle and kkk counties
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Seabiscuit36

Dookie doesn't have winter clothes

SunMo

i mean, do schools in minnesota and north dakota close for cold?  i would find it hard to believe.  put an extra layer on little johnnie and make sure he wears his hat and gloves and send his ass to school
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Seabiscuit36

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/422850/

Apparently they do, but its when the Governor declares an emergency.  My wifes school district was resolute they would be open, but they had to bow down to sissy ass parents who were saying they would not be sending their kids to school.  Bottom line, people are soft.  My coworker lives just outside Kennesaw, GA and his kids are off because of concerns of the windchill and the buses not being able to maintain heat. 

SunMo

yeah, so like when it's -30 and -60 windchill they cancel.  i get that.  no need to cancel for 0 degrees and -20 windchill imo.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Munson

-20 windchill can cause frostbite pretty fast.

I have a friend who grew up in Syracuse NY and he said they got off for extreme cold more often than they did for snow
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Geowhizzer

I have no students today.  This 50 degree weather it too cold!

... or it's a teacher duty day...

Rome