DeSean Jackson, Philadelphia Eagle (PIMP)

Started by PhillyPhreak54, April 26, 2008, 07:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shorebird

Even though Bennett was probably the top tight end in the draft, you really can't compare the two. I guarantee you that jackson scores more than Bennett, and has more of an impact. Just because he will be on the field a lot more. Bennett is behind one of the best TE's in the game. He's not going to see the field much. So far this preseason, he has three recepts. Jackson had that many in the first half of his first game.

I have to say, like everyone else, I love what I saw from him on Friday. I don't want to get too excited, but man, he looks good. Good enough that I snatched him up with a homer pick in the 10th round of one of my fantasy leagues last night.

shorebird

The Eagles depth chart from the official site is useless. They don't even have Jackson on it at WR as of this morning.

QB Eagles

Quote from: shorebird on August 24, 2008, 09:18:12 AM
The Eagles depth chart from the official site is useless.

This has always been true and I wonder why people still expect otherwise.

Seabiscuit36

QuoteTwo rookies help Eagles burn Patriots

By Tim Panaccio

Inquirer Staff Writer
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - DeSean Jackson admits he got a little jealous after watching Quintin Demps' 101-yard kickoff return for the Eagles in last night's preseason game against New England at Gillette Stadium.

"I definitely thought about that he scored one before I did," Jackson said. "It went through my mind. I thought, 'The next time I get out, I've got to take it the distance, because he did.' It's a very competitive game."

Soon after Demps' return, Jackson, the electrifying Smurf from California, returned a punt 76 yards for another touchdown as the Eagles beat the Patriots, 27-17.

A week earlier, the Eagles had all kinds of issues with their return teams - failing to hold blocks, fumbling catches, and returners' being unable to quickly spot lanes ahead of them.

All of that changed dramatically last night, thanks to the two Eagles rookies.

"They're both explosive players and different in their games," coach Andy Reid said. "They're young and have a lot of energy. They love to play. Veteran players love watching them."

It was a hollow victory, however. Starting free safety Brian Dawkins suffered a right-ankle injury in the second quarter and was carted off the field. X-rays were negative, but an MRI exam was planned for today.

The Eagles improved to 2-1 in the preseason, with a final exhibition game set for Thursday night at home against Brett Favre and the New York Jets.

"I thought it was a good game in some spots and in others where we need to pick up and do some work," Reid said. "I was glad to see we tackled better and caught the ball better than last week."

Demps had to break just one tackle, brushing aside kicker Stephen Gostkowski. "You have to have a mentality that every time you have a shot, to return it," Demps said. "My blockers, I just trusted them so I could get going. I took advantage of my opportunity."

Jackson took the ball off the far left sideline, cut through a gaping hole in the wedge, then outsprinted three defenders in returning the punt for a touchdown. He had predicted he was "close" to breaking one.

"It was a beautiful punt return," Jackson said. "I felt the punter got a good kick on it and kind of outkicked his coverage. I just did a great job of catching the ball and making two moves to the side, hitting the seam, and getting right up the middle. From there, it was nothing but daylight."

The Eagles had a red-zone touchdown and field goal in the first half; another red-zone TD was called back. Donovan McNabb looked sharp, completing 13 of 17 passes for 180 yards and a touchdown in the half. Jackson had four catches for 67 yards, and L.J. Smith had three for 44. Jason Avant had the lone TD reception.

Because of Kevin Curtis' sports hernia, the receiving game is still up in the air, but Jackson's sizzling catches and runs after the catch could be the X-factor against opposing secondaries.

"I felt great," McNabb said. "We are progressing week in and week out. . . . I think you have to give guys opportunities to make plays, and we did that."

Although the Eagles went 76 yards on 14 plays to open the game with a 24-yard field goal by David Akers, they could have had seven points.

McNabb used Brian Westbrook liberally during that drive, with the big play a 19-yard screen pass in the right flat that gave the Birds a first down at the Patriots' 18. From there, however, McNabb threw two incompletions in the end zone, with the second toss batted by Tedy Bruschi to Smith out of bounds.

The mystery surrounding Patriots quarterback Tom Brady continued. Bothered by a right-foot injury, which the club won't elaborate on, he has not yet taken an exhibition-game snap. It has been confirmed that the injury is unrelated to what bothered him near the end of last season.

Matt Cassell started for Brady and displayed some running ability with an 18-yard dash through the linebackers.

The offense got bottled up pretty good on the Eagles' second possession when Tra Thomas was nailed for holding, then Bruschi sneaked inside to sack McNabb, setting up third down and 23. McNabb completed a pass to Greg Lewis well short of the first down.

Jackson nearly broke a punt in the first quarter, settling for a 45-yard return that was nullified by two holding calls

Thats awesome, Freddie Mitchell's love for himself, except he has skill

oh, and Timmay P sucks ass, calling the GAWD a smurf
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Rome

It's comforting to see that Pinocchio knows less about football than he does about hockey. 

reese125

If this guy makes it past the 4th week without a sports hernia or a season ending injury it will be amazing...good praise from the other players regardless

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/99-08252008-1581070.html

Rome

Spadaro actually used Bobby Hoying as an example of why we shouldn't be overly excited about Jackson today.

I mean, how do you even respond to something like that?

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

reese125

"Hoy to the world"

As soon as we see a Jackson title like the Hoying one on the back of the Daily News, we know its downhill from there

Rome

Quote from: rjs246 on August 25, 2008, 04:42:07 PM
By firebombing his face and loved ones.

A little early to be nipping at the Absinthe wouldn't you say?

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

QB Eagles

Quote from: reese125 on August 25, 2008, 04:26:16 PM
If this guy makes it past the 4th week without a sports hernia or a season ending injury it will be amazing...good praise from the other players regardless

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/99-08252008-1581070.html

From that same article:

QuoteAfter intercepting Donovan McNabb while covering Jackson, Asante Samuel shouted out, "75 percent of the world is covered by water. The other 25 percent is covered by Zont," which is Samuel's nickname ... Lito Sheppard got into the act as well, yelling, "Get that (stuff) out of here" after batting down a McNabb pass while covering Bam Childress, then heaving the ball 40 yards back toward the offensive huddle and nearly hitting assistant coach Otis Smith in the head

Diomedes

Quote from: QB Eagles on August 25, 2008, 05:45:32 PM
QuoteAfter intercepting Donovan McNabb while covering Jackson, Asante Samuel shouted out, "75 percent of the world is covered by water. The other 25 percent is covered by Zont," which is Samuel's nickname ... Lito Sheppard got into the act as well, yelling, "Get that (stuff) out of here" after batting down a McNabb pass while covering Bam Childress, then heaving the ball 40 yards back toward the offensive huddle and nearly hitting assistant coach Otis Smith in the head

this is the kind of stuff I'd like to see in sports reporting..great copy
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

He jacked that line from Walt Harris who actually made t-shirts to say that,

Diomedes

^^
and this is why I love teh Intarwebs, because without you guys, I'd never know that.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger