The Rest of the NHL

Started by BigEd76, August 01, 2005, 02:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phanatic

Suddenly the Guins are looking interesting. LeClair, Crosby, Palffy, Gonchar, and Recchi have all been added.
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

PhillyGirl

Quote from: Phanatic on August 15, 2005, 05:11:03 PM
Suddenly the Guins are looking interesting. LeClair, Crosby, Palffy, Gonchar, and Recchi have all been added.

LeClair won't help them much. He's pretty much done, IMO. Recchi is going to be good over there.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

BigEd76

Don't forget about Malkin, the #2 pick last year...

Phanatic

Quote from: PhillyGirl on August 15, 2005, 05:15:40 PM
Quote from: Phanatic on August 15, 2005, 05:11:03 PM

LeClair won't help them much. He's pretty much done, IMO. Recchi is going to be good over there.

I'm sure he has something to prove now, but he has lost a step over the years.

PhillyGirl

QuoteNHL TV Rights Decision Skates into Thursday
August 17, 2005
By John Consoli

The National Hockey League is expected to wait until Thursday morning to announce which network has been awarded the rights agreement to televise its games, as a result of confusion over the deadline for ESPN to file a matching bid to Comcast's Outdoor Life Network.

OLN bid a guaranteed $135 million for the first two years, and another $72.5 million for a third option year, according to sources, and OLN believed the deadline was 5 p.m. Wednesday, while ESPN believed the deadline was midnight. ESPN would not comment on whether it would make a bid, but earlier in the day, an ESPN representative had said, "We've been carrying hockey for a long time. Sure we're interested in continuing."

ESPN opted out of the final year of its TV rights deal that would have required it to pay the NHL $60 million for the right to air games the upcoming season, but retained its right to match any offer from another network. The NHL board of governors recently approved OLN's bid, should ESPN not match.

The OLN bid, according to sources, also includes a provision that Comcast offer NHL shoulder programming and some games On Demand to its 22 million subscribers, and would also include a broadband component, including possible video streaming of NHL games. Comcast officials said rumors that the company had included an offer to start a new NHL Network, distributed to all its subscribers, were not accurate, but other sources said Comcast had agreed to distribute an NHL owned network on its digital tier, and would be penalized under the agreement if it failed to do so. That particular provision is one that ESPN cannot match, since it does not own cable systems.

While ESPN would not comment on whether it will indeed submit a matching bid prior to the deadline, Comcast insiders aren't popping champagne corks just yet. For competitive reasons, ESPN might have no choice but to match the offer. Gaining TV rights for the NHL would give OLN a foot in the door toward becoming a full-fledged sports programming network competitor to ESPN. OLN has also bid on the new National Football League Thursday-Saturday TV rights package. Garnering both the NHL and NFL, along with the Tour de France TV rights which it already owns, would make OLN a legitimate rival to ESPN.

Ugh, ESPN could counter this offer. I sincerely hope that does NOT happen.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Seabiscuit36

Whatever happens i just hope i can watch flyers games from home.  I dont care if i have to pay the 139.00 for Center Ice
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

MDS

NHL offically goes to Comcast, who appears to be set to put it on OLN. Those ratings will soar!
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: MDS on August 18, 2005, 12:57:42 AM
NHL offically goes to Comcast, who appears to be set to put it on OLN. Those ratings will soar!

I can't wait. REAL hockey coverage, not sensationalized, overhyped, completely less than adequate coverage like ESPN gave us.

I hope its like the old school (1980s) ESPN games again.  :D

Phanatic

There's no garentee that OLN won't screw things up like ESPN does. Just don't let them hire that bad suit wearing, mullet hair-do sporten, dork named Barry Melrose.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: Phanatic on August 18, 2005, 11:37:00 AM
There's no garentee that OLN won't screw things up like ESPN does. Just don't let them hire that bad suit wearing, mullet hair-do sporten, dork named Barry Melrose.

No, no guarantee, but Comcast owning it and having a vested interest in the NHL (owning the Flyers) would show me that they are going to be going after teh GAME, not the sideshow shtein. ESPN had no care in the world. Hockey was insignificant to them and they acted as such.

MDS

Well seeing has the random junk they put on this year in hockeys place drew better ratings than the NHL, how could you blame them?

If Comcast is serious about their NHL coverage, they have to go HD with this.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: MDS on August 18, 2005, 11:51:45 AM
Well seeing has the random junk they put on this year in hockeys place drew better ratings than the NHL, how could you blame them?

IF they are serious? Of course they are. They are building new the new studio and everything. They'll get HD.

WEST is GOD

We won't even have to worry unless you watch a lot of national games because the Flyers games are still on CSN.
THIS SEASON IS OVER AND ANDY'S WORLD IS GRIDL

Offseason needs: 2 DEs, 1 DT, 1 OL, 2 LBs, 1 RB, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 KR.

MDS

Quote from: PhillyGirl on August 18, 2005, 11:53:18 AM
Quote from: MDS on August 18, 2005, 11:51:45 AM

IF they are serious? Of course they are. They are building new the new studio and everything. They'll get HD.

Ok, but let's see how they advertise and let the average joe know what channel OLN is on their cable listings. Most people dont even know they have it.