Bodybuilding/Workout/Diet thread

Started by SD_Eagle5, October 20, 2006, 09:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD_Eagle5

Just started lifting weights again after a 9 year layoff. Always been a big cardio/eliptical machine fan but had to stay away from weights because of a back issue. The back issue is still there but I'm dealing with it, although on days like today the pain is too much so I have to take off.

Anyways, I just started this stuff called Finigenx, so far this stuff is amazing. Its banned by the FDA, though. I'm also using Creatine CEE AKG from Met-Rx which I got on bodybuildingoutlet.com for $15. Same bottle was in GNC for $50 (no joke) I cut my cardio from 30-40 minutes a day to 5-10 minutes and upped my protein from 200 grams a day to 250-300 grams a day. I figure its the winter so even if I do put on a little extra weight its no big deal. I'm also taking Milk Thistle to keep the old liver clean, Flaxseed Oil for my joints, and a mulit-vitamin.
If anyone is looking for a cheap Whey protein that actually tastes pretty good and is of good quality I recommend (Optimum) ON Whey. If you search the net you can get 5 lbs. for about $25-$30, I've made great gains on this stuff.
My breakdown:
Monday - Chest/Forearms
Tuesday - Back/Abs
Wednsday- Bi's/Tri's
Thursday - Shoulders
Friday- Legs

I know a lot of people like to cruch all their workouts in 3 or 4 days but I've always had the best gains on a 5 day schedule.

My diet usually goes like this:
7AM Oatmeal/ Whey protein shake
9AM Protein Bar (have been using Met-Rx Protein Plus)
11AM Chicken/Steak/Beef/Fish/Turkey with Broccoli or Corn on the side
1PM Same as 11 PM
3PM Protein bar
5PM Same as 11 and 1
7PM Protein bar or shake (whatever I'm in the mood for)

My post-workout recovery meal is usually a Protein Bar and a Protein shake and some oatmeal. I usually take in 60-70 grams immediately after a workout.

Diomedes

Thread makes me want a donut and a nap.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

rjs246

SD, I have back problems too. Completely exasserbated by lifting. I went through physical therapy and  was taught a bunch of shtein you can do in the gym (weights) that can actually help. It's all low impact shtein, but it's better than doing nothing or lifting regularly and f'ing your shtein up.

Anyway, let me know if you're interested in hearing about them.

Also, weight gain powders are the worst shtein ever created. Kidney. Failure.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

SD_Eagle5

Thanks for the offer, I went through physical therapy for 2 years when I was in the Navy. It didn't help much. I'm seeing a Chiroropractor (Uncle is one so its free) and thats been helping a little. I have acute lower and upper back pain which basically means sometimes its really bad (can't walk) and sometimes its non-existant. I developed scoliosis while I was in the Navy. I've just learned how to deal with the pain and am extremely cautious when I lift.

Weight gain powders are junk. I only use powders/bars for added protein.

Zanshin

If you're looking for more information, I think that this is an excellent and comprehensive book on the subject:

Encyclopedia of Muscle & Strength

And I think this is an interesting site; there's some good informtion in the forums: www.johnstonefitness.com

SD_Eagle5

That site has some good info on it, I usually check out bodybuilding.com. when I have a question, they have a large online community there.

Check this guy out. That's pretty amazing.

Diomedes

AArrgh!  my eyes!   

pass the mind bleach, please
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

hbionic

He looks like he has a penis turtled into his righ forebow.

Anyways, my workout schedule is this:

Day 1 Legs/Shoulders
Day 2 Back/Triceps
Day 3 off
Day 4 Chest/Biceps
Day 5 Off

Repeat Cycle

I've noticed that so far, this has given me enough recovery time for my muscles, especially after doing squats, those kill. I'm still in the Hoyda weight stage...but if I stay consistent, I'll be doing decent weight in the next 6 to 12 months.

Diet:

I'm not strict, but I do try to eat 6 times a day. I'll eat stuff like:

Cereal w/non-fat milk
Yogurt
Oatmeal
Sandwich
Trail-Mix

That is the bulk of what I eat...

But, I still haven't found a way not to drink beer. I'm also not looking for one either.

I suck at cardio...but I have to throw it in or I'll be one of those dudes at the gym with a decent overall body w/ a gut. That is definitely not gangsta.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

mussa

your not a man unless you have a gut. sorry.
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Wingspan

Anyways, my workout schedule is this:

Day 1 Sometimes i carry 2 full loads of laundry up the stairs
Day 2 Poker Night
Day 3 Use two remote controls at once
Day 4 Exercise snoring muscles
Day 5 lifting 2x4s and carrying them while i finish projects around the house

Most days i walk the dog, and she pulls the leash alot. it's really difficult sometimes when i am carrying an umbrella, the poo bag, and carrying a lit cigarette. damn. tired just thinking about it.

Diet:

I'm not strict, but I do try to eat 6 times a day. I'll eat stuff like:

bagel, cinnamon roll, coffee
more coffee
ham or turkey sandwhich
dinner
scotch, neat
wife

That is the bulk of what I eat...

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Butchers Bill

Quote from: rjs246 on October 20, 2006, 10:35:36 AM
I went through physical therapy and  was taught a bunch of shtein you can do in the gym (weights) that can actually help. It's all low impact shtein, but it's better than doing nothing or lifting regularly and f'ing your shtein up.

Anyway, let me know if you're interested in hearing about them.

Please share.
I believe I've passed the age of consciousness and righteous rage
I found that just surviving was a noble fight.
I once believed in causes too,
I had my pointless point of view,
And life went on no matter who was wrong or right.

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: Diomedes on October 20, 2006, 10:54:52 AM
AArrgh!  my eyes!   

pass the mind bleach, please

Save some for me. Damn.

SD, I'm not a big fan of all the protein bars and such. Eat right (I don't), do a good workout schedule (I don't), and maybe add some spot nutrients (I do), and that should be good for the average person. Of course, if you're looking to put on weight faster, then the bars and the whey will help.

Be careful with the back. Take your time getting strength in the supporting musculature. You don't want to overdo it, then you'll be back to square one.

I have arthritis issues, so my routine of late is more core-based, and I'm doing a lot more flexibility work. Low impact things that still beat the hell out of me.

mussa

ive read before that people with back problems should lift weights, but specific exercises should be done. in time it can help your back. of course it all depends on the severity of your back proglems. so for what its worth....

i eat prob 2-4 times a day.

egg whites, wheat toast, sometimes breakfast meat, usually turkey bacon for breakfast plus coffee
tuna melt or ham=turkey sandwhich for lunch, chips or some sort of snack. or just soup
chicken, fish, or pork for dinner w/vegtable brocoli, asparagus, brussel sprouts for dinner. sometimes rice.

I recently gained back around 15 pounds that i lost from being on the atkins and cardio at gym. i gave up on diet and gym after vacation in september and havn't done shtein since.  i just can never get into a routine at the gym. i do not enjoy it at all.  I must have a super low metabolism because I know guys that eat way more and worse than me, yet they are skinny. I'm on the opposite end, I can afford to lose about 30-40 lbs.

atkins seemed to work great for me because I lost that weight quick, yet to me that diet is not healthy, mainly because of all the meat intake ala sodium/cholestoral. I guess its a quick way to lose it and when its off, change to a healthier diet and regular exercise.

Either way working out sucks. I'd much rather play basketball or something enjoyable than a gym.
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Don Ho

Best workout on the face of the earth.  The surfing part you sick perverts! 

I was lucky enough to surf the last three days.  Fricken off the charts!  Late off season south shore swell.  6-10 foot faces.  Few pluses.  I feel like I just spent all day in the gym.  By the end of this afternoons session I was spent.  Word is some more surf tomorrow but I am beat.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.