I hate my job!

Started by TexasEagle, March 12, 2006, 02:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on October 24, 2013, 07:07:33 AM
Quote from: Tomahawk on October 23, 2013, 10:06:19 PM
How many weeks of vacation do you get? Instead of asking for more money like a greedy motherfarger maybe you could have gotten another week of vacay

I start out with a week (40 hrs), but don't get that until I've been with them for 1 year.

holy shtein is that awful.....is that sop in the private sector?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

Seems to be fairly standard in comparison to other jobs I interviewed for.  It definitely sucks, especially coming from the military where I had 30 days every year plus unlimited sick days. The time off with this company is called Paid Time Off (PTO) which means that I'm using it for any reason.....vacation, sick day, taking an hour off for a Dr appt, whatever.  It's in line with what most other jobs around here are offering.

I'm not crazy about it, but it's the best offer/opportunity I've got so far and I'm really just ready to get back to work.  I more or less milked the system for a year, so I'm good. 

ice grillin you

if im doing the math right that means any new employee will have one week of vacation over the next two years?

that seems ridiculous

Sgt PSN

Exactly, and yeah....it's ridiculous but I guess I gotta start somewhere.  And the civilian world sucks balls in comparison to the feds or even state gov't when it comes to benefits.  Any time I take off during the 1st year is considered unpaid time off, so if I've got a Dr appt or something, they just won't pay me for the time that I'm not at work. And this particular company only matches 10% of what you put into a 401K.  Luckily, that's not an issue for me because I've been sinking a shteinload of money over the last 10 years into retirement accounts on my own, but that's awful for Joe Schmoe who is relying on a 401K for retirement. 

ice grillin you

im not comparing it to the govt....thats obviously not fair

i even understand a probationary period before you accrue any leave but one week in two years seems agregious

Sgt PSN

It is.  But we're talking about an industry/company that primarily makes it's money on truck drivers, who, let's face it, aren't exactly the most intelligent people out there.  And when you consider that I'm starting out in a managment position and get pretty crappy vacation benefits, I can't even imagine how awful the benefits are for the drivers, who are paid also hourly wages instead of salary. 

ice grillin you

yeah for real if thats what management gets the drivers have to basically be modern day slaves

how many years do you have to work until you get two weeks a year......and can you carry over weeks?

PhillyPhreak54

My company is sort of the same except they didn't make us wait a year to get our 1wk vacation.

I just hit my 6yrs and got 3 weeks.

However they also try to pull the PTO scheme where if we need a sick day it should come from our vacation. Luckily I have a boss who doesn't hit us for that. Need a day or two - take a day or two and vacation stays intact.

Sgt PSN

I forget exactly how the progression goes, but for the position I've been hired for I can earn a max of 3 weeks/120 hrs per year within 4 years.  If I get promoted (to the position I actually applied for), there's additional time off that comes with it and I'll get 4 weeks/160 hrs per year within 4 years.  Had I been hired for the position I applied for, I'd have 1 week available to me after 6mo and a 2nd week after 1 year.

Rome

No sick time until the first year is up is laughable.

Keep looking Sassy.

SunMo

my vacation is capped at 3 weeks, but all new hires are being capped at 2 weeks which sucks.  in fact, the owner wanted to take a week from people who had 3 but thankfully he was talked out of it
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: SunMo on October 24, 2013, 09:45:16 AM
my vacation is capped at 3 weeks, but all new hires are being capped at 2 weeks which sucks.  in fact, the owner wanted to take a week from people who had 3 but thankfully he was talked out of it

Isn't your dad the owner?  Or does he hold some other high ranking position?

PhillyPhreak54

That's nutty.

I had a conversation with the cornerstore clerk this morning. He's from India and we were talking about how the US leads the world in people working for long periods without vacation. Other countries believe in vacations and not murdering their workers.

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on October 24, 2013, 10:10:47 AM
I had a conversation with the cornerstore clerk this morning. He's from India and we were talking about how the US leads the world in people working for long periods without vacation. Other countries believe in vacations and not murdering their workers.

lol...im pretty sure india shouldnt be held up as some beacon of workers rights....a factory collapses or burns to the ground every other month over there.....and theres a reason we farm out thousands of job to them....and its not because of the superior working conditions

SunMo

Quote from: Sgt PSN on October 24, 2013, 10:06:26 AM
Quote from: SunMo on October 24, 2013, 09:45:16 AM

Isn't your dad the owner?  Or does he hold some other high ranking position?

he's president.  he's one of the ones that helped talk the owner out of it
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.