I hate my job!

Started by TexasEagle, March 12, 2006, 02:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomahawk

Quote from: Sgt PSN on August 14, 2012, 11:39:22 PM
Got approved for full severance today.  Gross is about 12k more than what I make in a year.  But after they tax the shtein out of it I get about 10k less than my annual salary.  I'm also selling back 45 vacation days which after taxes will come out to about 1 month salary.  And I'm doing a DITY move instead of having the govt pay for it.  Once you take off the cost of renting a UHaul truck and trailer, I'll get a check equal to approx 2-3 months of my salary. 

Also, farg work.  I'm heading east and staying in the apartment Ma Dukes has on the back of her farm house up near Bloomsburg.  Rent free.  Gonna farg around until after the holidays, maybe start working on that Willies finally, and collect unemployment.  So yeah, I'll def be looking to hit up a couple of Birds games this year, may even throw my hat into the New Orleans ring.

What's the T in DITY? You should mos def go to NOLA

Sgt PSN

Quote from: SD on August 15, 2012, 05:46:11 AM
Got approved for full severance today. 

File your VA claim immediately as well. But remember the VA won't pay you a dime until equal to your severance pay is paid back. So if the VA approves you for $500 per month compensation and you got $30k as severance you aren't getting a comp check for 60 months.

My understanding is that severance doesn't impact disability because I'm not getting medically separated.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Tomahawk on August 15, 2012, 09:12:03 AM
Got approved for full severance today.  Gross is about 12k more than what I make in a year.  But after they tax the shtein out of it I get about 10k less than my annual salary.  I'm also selling back 45 vacation days which after taxes will come out to about 1 month salary.  And I'm doing a DITY move instead of having the govt pay for it.  Once you take off the cost of renting a UHaul truck and trailer, I'll get a check equal to approx 2-3 months of my salary. 

Also, farg work.  I'm heading east and staying in the apartment Ma Dukes has on the back of her farm house up near Bloomsburg.  Rent free.  Gonna farg around until after the holidays, maybe start working on that Willies finally, and collect unemployment.  So yeah, I'll def be looking to hit up a couple of Birds games this year, may even throw my hat into the New Orleans ring.

What's the T in DITY? You should mos def go to NOLA

Do IT Yourself.

Rome

Believe it or not I like the "job" I have.  It's actually quite challenging and stimulating from an intellectual standpoint.  There isn't a day that goes by that I don't learn something new and that's really cool considering I've been doing this for a long time.

I don't like everything other than the job, though.  It's extremely difficult for me to bite my tongue and I've had to do that continually for what seems like the last six months or so.  I actually got "spoken to" by my supervisor today for questioning the wisdom of his decision even though he asked my opinion on the subject beforehand.   He's a short-timer with less than four months til he's out for good, but honestly, if you can't honestly respond to a question without fear of being chastised for doing so, I don't see the point of bothering to offer an answer.   My reply was fairly curt after being "spoken to."  I just said, no problem, sorry if you took it the wrong way, to which he replied, "it was very disrespectful".

Up the chain I go, I guess.

Yay meaningless government functionary bullshtein!

SD

Quote from: Sgt PSN on August 15, 2012, 10:21:57 AM
Quote from: SD on August 15, 2012, 05:46:11 AM
Got approved for full severance today. 

File your VA claim immediately as well. But remember the VA won't pay you a dime until equal to your severance pay is paid back. So if the VA approves you for $500 per month compensation and you got $30k as severance you aren't getting a comp check for 60 months.

Pretty sure it doesn't matter what kind of severance you get, they won't allow you to double dip.
My understanding is that severance doesn't impact disability because I'm not getting medically separated.

Sgt PSN

I asked about this today actually.  The way it explained to me is if you are getting medically separated and elect to take a "severance" then you are essentially borrowing against your disability (the money is paid by the VA and not the military) and you won't receive VA checks until you've paid back the amount that you were paid. 

My severance isn't medically related because I was denied reenlistment, so the money I'm paid is coming direct from Uncle Sam, not from the VA.

Guess I'll find out for certain when I file my claim.     

SD

You could be right, I don't work with comp much although I did just apply for a VSR job in comp.

hbionic

Quote from: Rome on August 16, 2012, 06:04:20 PM
Believe it or not I like the "job" I have.  It's actually quite challenging and stimulating from an intellectual standpoint.  There isn't a day that goes by that I don't learn something new and that's really cool considering I've been doing this for a long time.

I don't like everything other than the job, though.  It's extremely difficult for me to bite my tongue and I've had to do that continually for what seems like the last six months or so.  I actually got "spoken to" by my supervisor today for questioning the wisdom of his decision even though he asked my opinion on the subject beforehand.   He's a short-timer with less than four months til he's out for good, but honestly, if you can't honestly respond to a question without fear of being chastised for doing so, I don't see the point of bothering to offer an answer.   My reply was fairly curt after being "spoken to."  I just said, no problem, sorry if you took it the wrong way, to which he replied, "it was very disrespectful".

Up the chain I go, I guess.

Yay meaningless government functionary bullshtein!

I thought you were an appraiser. Wrong person?
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

ice grillin you

i was doing next years work calendar and figured out i have 31 three day weekends in 2013
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Don Ho

farg you!  You need to become a surfer.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Sgt PSN

DD 214 in hand so I'm now officially a civilian.  Because of the way everything went down and my general bitterness right now towards the Marine Corps, and my CO specifically, I didn't wear my uniform for my final check out. Went into the CO's office for him to give me my "out brief" and he started giving me shtein about my lack of uniform.  Told him that dressing up like a Marine for 17 years didnt work out well for me and that I figured I'd try something new. Then he says that I'm on the verge of getting written up so I stood up, told him to write himself up, and walked out.  I'm sure he probably had some admin clerk write up a Page 11 which is the equivilant to a Letter of Reprimand and carries no weight in the grand scheme of things. Doesn't change the character of my discharge (honorable) and it doesn't impact my severance.  So yeah, farg him.

Sgt PSN

BTW...how do I go about buying some weed?

SD

Quote from: Sgt PSN on August 24, 2012, 03:35:33 PM
DD 214 in hand so I'm now officially a civilian.  Because of the way everything went down and my general bitterness right now towards the Marine Corps, and my CO specifically, I didn't wear my uniform for my final check out. Went into the CO's office for him to give me my "out brief" and he started giving me shtein about my lack of uniform.  Told him that dressing up like a Marine for 17 years didnt work out well for me and that I figured I'd try something new. Then he says that I'm on the verge of getting written up so I stood up, told him to write himself up, and walked out.  I'm sure he probably had some admin clerk write up a Page 11 which is the equivilant to a Letter of Reprimand and carries no weight in the grand scheme of things. Doesn't change the character of my discharge (honorable) and it doesn't impact my severance.  So yeah, farg him.

I'm calling bs but if you did tell him that bravo zulu. They try to punk you right up until the day you walk out the door. It's their little controlling tendencies that rub people the wrong way. They sent me to Beachdet while the ship was out to sea my last month. 2 days left and my Chief tells me one of the officers on Beachdet threw me under the bus because I had a "I don't give a shtein" attitude. I told my Chief straight up "he's right I don't give a shtein".

Be happy, you're free. The grass is greener on the other side.

"Tomorrow will be the most beautiful day of Anthony Miller's life. His breakfast will taste better than any meal you and I have ever tasted."

Sgt PSN

No bs at all. The day my reenlistment got denied back in April, I sat in the guys office for about an hour and told him how farged up this unit is and that it reflects a lot more on him than it does me. I didn't give a shtein then so I def didn't give a shtein today. I've got my severance and I've got my DD214. There's not a damn thing he can do to me at this point. If anything, I'm mad at myself for being as "tactful" as I was.

SD

Quote from: Sgt PSN on August 24, 2012, 05:58:43 PM
No bs at all. The day my reenlistment got denied back in April, I sat in the guys office for about an hour and told him how farged up this unit is and that it reflects a lot more on him than it does me. I didn't give a shtein then so I def didn't give a shtein today. I've got my severance and I've got my DD214. There's not a damn thing he can do to me at this point. If anything, I'm mad at myself for being as "tactful" as I was.

Down the line you'll be happy you stayed tactful. I hated my Chief but the day I got out I walked up to him and wished him luck in his future endeavors. He's still an icehole and last I heard he got booted and was in jail for beating his wife. So I win.