I hate my job!

Started by TexasEagle, March 12, 2006, 02:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munson

Those types of jobs are few and far between anymore...companies want people with college degrees, they don't just hire scrubs off the street and promote them within the company like they used to
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

SD

Quote from: Munson on July 26, 2012, 08:09:13 PM
Those types of jobs are few and far between anymore...companies want people with college degrees, they don't just hire scrubs off the street and promote them within the company like they used to

Used to be you could show up to a job with a college degree and have a fighting chance, those days are over. Now everyone applying for a semi-decent position has a college degree. I've applied for 5 jobs over the past 2 months and haven't had a call back as of yet.

ice grillin you

once you have been in the job market for a significant amount of time a degree means little....its primarily based on your resume - experience...last review...reccommendations....ect - in other words your skill set experience and past performance

a degree only really matters when you are 21 or 22...at that point it would certainly give you an advantage over a person who doesnt have a degree
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 27, 2012, 07:23:41 AM
once you have been in the job market for a significant amount of time a degree means little....its primarily based on your resume - experience...last review...reccommendations....ect - in other words your skill set experience and past performance

a degree only really matters when you are 21 or 22...at that point it would certainly give you an advantage over a person who doesnt have a degree

This is all true but if you were competing against someone with a similar resume and they had a degree and you didn't they'd most likely hire the person with the degree.

ice grillin you

Quote from: SD on July 27, 2012, 07:49:48 AM

This is all true but if you were competing against someone with a similar resume and they had a degree and you didn't they'd most likely hire the person with the degree.

this certainly happens but even in an example like this an interview would carry more weight than a degree...in jobs where a degree isnt required a degree is way down the list

obviously where the degree really helps you is if the job is listed as "must have degree"
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

methdeez

Quote from: SD on July 26, 2012, 08:35:09 PM
Quote from: Munson on July 26, 2012, 08:09:13 PM

Used to be you could show up to a job with a college degree and have a fighting chance, those days are over. Now everyone applying for a semi-decent position has a college degree. I've applied for 5 jobs over the past 2 months and haven't had a call back as of yet.
5 jobs in two months is not really much at all. Last time I was unemployed I think I applied for 200 jobs the first week and 50 a week after that.

SD

I'm not desperate freeloader

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 27, 2012, 08:12:42 AM
Quote from: SD on July 27, 2012, 07:49:48 AM

this certainly happens but even in an example like this an interview would carry more weight than a degree...in jobs where a degree isnt required a degree is way down the list

obviously where the degree really helps you is if the job is listed as "must have degree"
That's why I went to the University of Making Money
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Sgt PSN

Got an email about one of the fed jobs I applied for today.....recruiter job with the Peace Corps.  Didn't get it.  Another email I received a couple days ago said that my application has been forwarded to the hiring official.  I assume that there's still several (maybe even dozens) of candidates being looked at by this individual, but this would be a legit job if I get hired.  The application tracker says that I've been qualified as a GS-9 and tentatively passed quals for 11.  Not sure how it works on the gubment side, but I kind of hope that I don't qual as an 11.  I wonder if they wouldn't hire a 7 or 9 in order to save money.     

Sgt PSN

From a job posting I read today:

QuoteStarting with job offers dated February 1, 2012 and after, XXX Hospital will no longer hire applicants who use tobacco products, including cigarettes, cigars and chewing or smokeless tobacco. Applicants will be screened for nicotine as part of the pre-employment physical process. Nicotine will be part of the urine drug screen. Applicants who test positive for nicotine will not be offered employment. Applicants who test positive may re-apply for jobs with XXX Hospital in six months.

How is that even legal? 

MDS

probably not, though i guess they could argue "cigarette stench" cant help but makes its way into the work place and that is something they obviously want, which might make it OK

in the least its a good way to weed out white trash
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

methdeez

It is legal I think, you have no legal right to smoke and I know that employers have to make no allowances for smokers at all. I read about 1 place that didn't allow smoking on the premises, even though they were some kind of resort that took a 15 minute short-bus ride to get in and out of.
I used to work for a company in DC that had as a policy no smoking by employees. Not like, no smoking in the building, but "we are a non-smoking company". I actually smoked at the time and just ignored the rule totally.

Sgt PSN

It's one thing to not allow smoking on the property.  If a business doesn't want to provide a designated smoking area, that's fine.  Or even if they don't want to allow smoke breaks during the day and limit all employee breaks to a common area break room or something.  That's cool too.  I know when I come back in from smoking I probably stink up the office.  But I do have a legal right to smoke at home.  Smoking is not illegal.  Just like eating at McDonald's isn't illegal.  We know that both are unhealthy for you, but I don't see any companies not hiring people because they test positive for Big Macs and McNuggets. 

Rome

The sheriff's dept. doesn't hire smokers here either.  It's absurd.

Diomedes

It is perfectly legal--ours is an "at will" employment system--and a rapidly growing trend.   The anti-smoker witch hunt has been one of the most wildly successful public policy campaigns in modern history.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger