I hate my job!

Started by TexasEagle, March 12, 2006, 02:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

So, I don't really hate my job but I still might be out of one as early as January thanks to a laundry list of medical ailments I've accumulated over the years that have finally caught up to me.  So, since I'm new to this whole civilian job hunting thing I have questions.  Lots of them.  But I'll start with 3:

1.  Any of yous skilled in the art of resume writing?  Know any good websites that can assist?  Any of you have a kick ass resume to email to me (for template purposes of course)?

2.  Interview do's and don'ts - I know the basics like research the company before interviewing and make sure you wear pants and shtein like that.  I'm looking for info that some of you more.....uh, seasoned professional types might have to offer.

3.  Since there's a pretty diverse collection of nitwits here who work in various occupational fields, do you know anyone who is hiring (or who may be hiring) someone with the following skills:

Logistics Management/Supervision
Substance Abuse Control Officer (piss checker)
Recruiting/Sales/Communication/Public Speaking
Physical Security/Anti-Terrorism/Operational Security

I can get into specifics in regards to detailed experience, qualifications, accomplishments, etc if need be. 

Drunkmasterflex

Doesn't the Corp have people who help you transition out and help you with resumes and such? We had to attend stuff for that when getting out of the Army.  Do you have any college degrees? If not I would recommend using your GI Bill. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Sgt PSN

Yeah, they have the Transition Assistance Program.....same as what you went through.  It's a good program and there's a lot of good info and assistance but I'm also looking for knowledge from people actively working in the civilian job market, not some guy who got a gov't job 20 years ago and has been telling people how to write a resume ever since.   

Got the GI Bill to and definitely plan on using it, but I'm more interested in working full time than going to school full time. 

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PoopyfaceMcGee

MDS

you. are. a. stalker.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: KDS on August 28, 2010, 07:43:45 PM
usajobs.gov

Already registered and have an online resume, but I'm not limiting my job search to just them.

MDS

whatever you do make sure you highlight the military stuff

send it out to enough people youre gonna find some republican nut who will eat it up....play him along....CASH MONEY SON

Diomedes

no question, go to school.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: KDS on August 28, 2010, 07:54:39 PM
you. are. a. stalker.

that. is. the. most. punctuation. you've. ever. used.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SD

Sgt:
The payout on the chapter 33 G.I. Bill is based off the bah of your area...it's also tax free. Factor in what you'll get from disability and add in a part time job and you're not far from what you were making on active duty. Use the VA for any medical needs you may have. The above plan is what I did, I even had a kid along the way and have made out fine. Graduating this fall and will be working full time by January. As for the other stuff (resume's/interviews do's and don'ts) I have a ton of good stuff but I've had a long day and don't feel like getting into it. I'll post it when I get the chance.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Diomedes on August 28, 2010, 08:23:41 PM
no question, go to school.

I will, just not sure if I want to go full time to finish up.

SD, is Chapter 33 the new 9/11 GI Bill?  I haven't looked into it much yet because I didn't think I'd be needing it quite so soon but I heard it's a major upgrade from Montgomery.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: KDS on August 28, 2010, 08:11:45 PM

You mean I should tell prospective employers what I've been doing for the last 16 years?  You're in Browntown for a reason, ya know? 

MDS

Quote from: Sgt PSN on August 28, 2010, 09:29:41 PM
Quote from: KDS on August 28, 2010, 08:11:45 PM

You mean I should tell prospective employers what I've been doing for the last 16 years?  You're in Browntown for a reason, ya know? 

that one was a bit of a reach, sassy