I hate my job!

Started by TexasEagle, March 12, 2006, 02:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drunkmasterflex

That CACO thing sounds like a pretty crappy deal there Sgt.  I also saw from a previous post that you will likely end up over here next year.  Don't worry its not too bad.  I am in the worst part and have one of the most dangerous jobs(route clearance team) and it still isn't that bad.  Of course the no booze and not gettting laid part is pretty terrible, but other than that..... Oh yeah getting shot at and blown up kind of sucks too.
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Drunkmasterflex

I actually love the Army, you have to put up with a lot of bullshtein but other than that it is the easiest job there is.  It is doubtful that I will make a career out of it but we will see.  A lot depends on the election for me, I don't really want to work for Hillary.  As long as she isn't in office, there is a good chance that I will do a term as an officer.  If not that I am looking at switching to EOD or Civil Affairs.  I doubt I will do the Civil Affairs thing because it is pogue as hell, but it is useful for when you get out.  The only thing about staying enlisted is I can't get promoted for at least 2 more years and the money kind of sucks.  I am an E-5 with just over two years of service so I don't make that much. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Father Demon

Joining the USAF was the best decision I ever made.  I did 10 years, and then decided that we were growing apart.  I got great training, saw half the world, and made great friends. 

Getting out was the second best decision I ever made.  I had done a good job in there, but it was time to move on.

I have zero regrets about getting in.
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

Sgt PSN

Obviously I'm still in and I still have days where I hate it and days where I love it.  The big thing with me right now is that I'm starting to feel like I'm not being challenged enough in my day to day routine.  Of course, that will change when I go out to Cali because I'll be doing something out there that I've never done before, which is work on the air side of things, so I think it will keep me interested for 6 mo to a year before I have it mastered and then I'll be bored again.  I've already got nearly 14 years in though so it would almost be a complete waste at this point if I didn't finish out my 20....especially when you consider that I've got 3 more years left on my current contract.  So the next time I'm even eligible to get out will be when I'm only about 3 years and some change away from retirement.  Too much time invested to throw it all away. 

In some ways though I do wish that I would have at least explored my options when I was sitting around 8-10 years in.  Just to see what was available to me in the civilian sector.  I don't regret staying in at all but I do regret not looking at what else I could have done. 

SD_Eagle5

Greatest decision I ever made was joining the Navy. Second greatest decision I ever made was getting out.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: SD_Eagle on March 07, 2008, 11:28:41 AM
Greatest decision I ever made was joining the Navy. Second greatest decision I ever made was getting out.

Well said SD.  Truer words have never been spoken.  

Quote from: Father Demon on March 07, 2008, 10:21:20 AM
Joining the USAF was the best decision I ever made.  Getting out was the second best decision I ever made. 

PoopyfaceMcGee

Not joining the military was the best decision I ever made, and as a bonus, it's better for our national defense not to have had me as part of it.

Then again, maybe I could be like Neil Patrick Harris in "Starship Troopers".  Only, less gay, I'd hope, but from what I hear that kind of stuff is difficult for you boys to avoid.

Speaking of which... Sarge, was Rob Riggle a kind lover?

Sgt PSN

Let's just say that after our "encounter" I prefer to call him Rob Wiggle. 

Father Demon

So, possible good news on the job search.  I've interviewed about 5 times (serious interviews, that is,plus a bunch of phone screens).  I've had two job offers, both of which I turned down.  The one was in Houston, but decided I didn't want to move there for a lateral job.  The second was here in St. Louis, but they expected me to do two full time jobs for a nice, fat pay cut from what I was making before.  No thanks.

About two weeks ago, I had a phone interview with Google for a position I had applied for.  It was an hour of pain, humility, and frustration.  I got off the phone, went to my wife and said "Well, that was fun.  Just bombed the shtein out of it.  At least I can say I made it to the phone interview."  After that, I pretty much forgot about it.

Yesterday, Google calls me and asks if it's a good time to talk.  I figure it's the official brush-off, and asked if I could call them back in 15 minutes after I dropped my son off somewhere.  I call back, and the recruiter says "Have you ever visited our head quarters?"  My answer was "Nope.. never made it out there. It's a place I would love to see, but haven't had the opportunity."  He then says "We'd like to fly you out here for a couple days to meet with members of the team. We'll make sure you get to experience our four-star meals in our cafeterias, see the magic of Google, and spend a day with 5 or 6 team members."  SWEET!

So, it looks like I'll be visiting Cali in the next couple weeks.  I've done some research, and I know I can expect more humiliating and humbling conversations as they put me through the wringer, but I am psyched about it.  All I'm considering this right now is a fun little project, and I worry about the "What the hell do I do now??" questions if I actually get an offer. 

Cons:  Moving from a place where cost of living is 32% below the national average, to a place where it's more than double.  Moving away from family, but it's beginning to look as that might be the right move for me anyway, no matter where I find a job.  All the good things I've been finding have NOT been in St. Louis.

Pros:  Google on the resume.  Being able to learn a TON more stuff about my industry.  Hoping the move to Cali lasts only 3 to 5 years before I move on somewhere else.  As I told my wife, in my industry, this is the equivalent to playing semi-pro ball, and getting called up to the majors. 

But for now, I'm just looking forward to seeing everything out there I've always heard about.
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

Geowhizzer

Cerevant

That is frickin awesome.  Google only takes the best of the best - getting a second interview is almost something you can put on your resume.  Envy.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Father Demon on March 22, 2008, 11:33:37 PM
So, possible good news on the job search.  I've interviewed about 5 times (serious interviews, that is,plus a bunch of phone screens).  I've had two job offers, both of which I turned down.  The one was in Houston, but decided I didn't want to move there for a lateral job.  The second was here in St. Louis, but they expected me to do two full time jobs for a nice, fat pay cut from what I was making before.  No thanks.

About two weeks ago, I had a phone interview with Google for a position I had applied for.  It was an hour of pain, humility, and frustration.  I got off the phone, went to my wife and said "Well, that was fun.  Just bombed the shtein out of it.  At least I can say I made it to the phone interview."  After that, I pretty much forgot about it.

Yesterday, Google calls me and asks if it's a good time to talk.  I figure it's the official brush-off, and asked if I could call them back in 15 minutes after I dropped my son off somewhere.  I call back, and the recruiter says "Have you ever visited our head quarters?"  My answer was "Nope.. never made it out there. It's a place I would love to see, but haven't had the opportunity."  He then says "We'd like to fly you out here for a couple days to meet with members of the team. We'll make sure you get to experience our four-star meals in our cafeterias, see the magic of Google, and spend a day with 5 or 6 team members."  SWEET!

So, it looks like I'll be visiting Cali in the next couple weeks.  I've done some research, and I know I can expect more humiliating and humbling conversations as they put me through the wringer, but I am psyched about it.  All I'm considering this right now is a fun little project, and I worry about the "What the hell do I do now??" questions if I actually get an offer. 

Cons:  Moving from a place where cost of living is 32% below the national average, to a place where it's more than double.  Moving away from family, but it's beginning to look as that might be the right move for me anyway, no matter where I find a job.  All the good things I've been finding have NOT been in St. Louis.

Pros:  Google on the resume.  Being able to learn a TON more stuff about my industry.  Hoping the move to Cali lasts only 3 to 5 years before I move on somewhere else.  As I told my wife, in my industry, this is the equivalent to playing semi-pro ball, and getting called up to the majors. 

But for now, I'm just looking forward to seeing everything out there I've always heard about.

First Demon turns down the job in Houston because it would send him too far away from me.  Now that I've got orders to Cali, Demon "magically" gets a job interview out there and could possibly be moving. 

The beauty of message boards is that the evidence is readily available for when I file my restraining order. 

PoopyfaceMcGee

Google's headquarters are nowhere close to San Diego.  Nice try.

Sgt PSN

I won't be either.

Nicer try. 

PoopyfaceMcGee

You are carrying Chuggie's love child.

Nicest try.