2008 Philadelphia Phillies Season/Playoff Thread (Die Mets Die)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2008, 09:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingspan

Tonights game is going to have the timing of a video game. I am going to have to emplore my raid the beer men strategy, the beer men ignore the 2 beer at a time limit and will send down as many as you ask for.

This is just gonna be awesome.

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Seabiscuit36

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2008/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3670327
QuoteComplete euphoria, or worst nightmare awaits all Philadelphians
Stark

By Jayson Stark
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: October 29, 2008

PHILADELPHIA -- In Philadelphia, folks are used to seeing the sky fall on their greatest sports parades.

Just usually, it's not quite this literally.

In Philadelphia, a place I confess I've lived most of my life, they know stuff happens in sports. They just wonder why it's mostly bad stuff. Especially when things seem way too good -- by which we mean way too non-Philadelphian -- to be true.

So Game 5 of the 2008 World Series fits right in. It's so utterly Philadelphian, they should place a DVD of it in William Penn's hand, way up there on top of City Hall.

One day, these folks are pouring through the gates of a ballpark they love, certain they're about to watch a team they love do something they've witnessed once in their lives, their parents' lives, their grandparents' lives, the founding fathers' lives and, when you get right down to it, even the dinosaurs' lives:

Win a World Series.

Next thing they know, there's more water falling on their heads than flowing between the banks of the Schuylkill. Their sure-handed shortstop can't catch a pop-up. Their best pitcher can't grip the pitch that has made him what he is. And their happy little march to the parade floats has turned into an all-time weather debacle.

Only in Philadelphia.

Sooner or later -- hopefully as soon as 8:37 p.m ET Wednesday night -- Bud Selig will invite them all back to the ballpark to finish Game 5. And maybe it will all turn out fine for the Phillies and the millions of human beings whose mental health depends on them.

But that isn't what most of those humans are thinking right now. Ohhhhh no.

They're thinking: Even Mother Nature doesn't want them to win.

They're thinking: It's their meteorological Bartman Moment.

But above all, they're thinking: This could happen only in Philadelphia, a place where heartbreak in sports is the specialty of the house.

Well, if it means anything to these people, they should know that the team they've surgically attached their psyches to isn't thinking the way they're all thinking.

Asked Tuesday if he was worried about his players' ability to put this weird turn of events behind them, Phillies manager Charlie Manuel replied, confidently: "I don't think there's going to be any problem at all. I think we've been resilient now for the last couple of years. I think we know exactly where we're going and what we want to do. We're going to be ready."

Asked the night before what he would tell the fans who had shown up Monday at Citizens Bank Park believing they were about to see their team win the World Series, Phillies ace Cole Hamels retorted: "That's what we're believing. And that's what we still believe. Now it won't obviously be tonight. But tomorrow. That's what we really want to do. We want to do it in Philly, in front of the fans who have really been there for us all year."

Of course, every team says stuff like that about its fans this time of year. But this time, it's different. This time, it's those fans -- those weary, desperate, beaten-down, angst-ridden, broken dreamers -- who have become one of the most intriguing parts of this plot line.

These people have spent the last parade-free quarter-century walking around with such a profound, universal sense of dread that every one of them should have been assigned his or her own personal psychological counselor.

They weren't merely aware of all the natural sporting disasters that had befallen their teams through the years -- from Chico Ruiz to the Fog Bowl, from Black Friday to Smarty Jones. They'd spent much of their lives contemplating just how and when their next nightmare was about to demolish their spirit, with one swing of the big old sporting wrecking ball.

But then something amazing happened.

There was something about this Phillies team that gave them faith, gave them the courage to conquer that dread.

They'd just seen their team win one game on a 2 a.m. dribbler down the line and another on a mighty home run by a pitcher they'd never before confused with Mike Schmidt. They found their team leading this World Series, three games to one. And all of a sudden, for once in their lives, they were convinced this was their time, that it was finally safe to trust this team.

That's a phenomenon, you understand, that's more rare in this universe than the aurora borealis. So when it erupted over the last few weeks, it was so striking that even these players themselves noticed it.

"Even when we'd lose a game late in the season," said third baseman Greg Dobbs, "the stuff we'd hear was: 'That's OK, boys. Get 'em tomorrow.' Not: 'Boo, you suck.' We got none of that. So you know how people say you learn more about yourselves and others when you face adversity? I think that's something I learned from the fans. I realized that these fans have actually turned the corner."

But in Philadelphia, it's never a shock that, just when they least expect it, the corner is always waiting to turn on them. So now it has turned. One more time.

• Enlarge
    Jimmy Rollins

Doug Pensinger/Getty Images

Jimmy Rollins and the Phillies could be world champions by the end of tonight, or they could be headed for a Game 6 on Thursday night at Tropicana Field.
    And, naturally, it wouldn't even be the first time the weather gods did the turning.

It's now 31 years since another October monsoon washed away another Phillies team's dreams -- 31 years since the Phillies and Dodgers played an entire, LCS-ending game in conditions right out of the set of "A Perfect Storm." And of course, people in Philadelphia spent all day Tuesday reminiscing about that day -- because no good Philadelphia sports horror story deserves to be put out of its misery. Ever.

But at least, unlike that day, the commissioner of baseball didn't pretend that this time around it wasn't even raining. At least this time, the commish noticed those raindrops and placed this game in a state of suspended animation.

So at least this time -- with 3½ innings left to be played in Game 5 -- there's a chance for this Phillies team to rewrite this story.

Or not.

So that's the plot line hovering over this World Series whenever Game 5 resumes.

If, somehow, the Phillies don't go on to win, this World Series could wind up leaving a scar on their fan base the size of the King of Prussia Mall.

But if they do, they can turn this goofy weather mess into something to laugh about during every October deluge for the next thousand years.

So this is now more than a mere sporting event, friends. It's a life-altering event for an entire community. Do these people get their parade and release their demons? Or does one horrendously ill-timed act of nature drive them deeper into the Cuckoo's Nest?

It will all be played out on a soggy October baseball field. Only in Philadelphia
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

PoopyfaceMcGee

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

phillymic2000

The 8:37pm start wouldn't have anything to do with a politcal infomercial would it? Cause I know Selig would never bow to Fox and would rather look out for the safety of the teams and fans.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: phillymic2000 on October 29, 2008, 04:45:35 PM
The 8:37pm start wouldn't have anything to do with a politcal infomercial would it? Cause I know Selig would never bow to Fox and would rather look out for the safety of the teams and fans.

Did the other games start any earlier? I can't remember one game starting before 8:30.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: PhillyGirl on October 29, 2008, 05:11:00 PM

Did the other games start any earlier? I can't remember one game starting before 8:30.

They did not start any earlier at all.  It was frustrating that they were even listed at 8:00.

QB Eagles

phillymic2000

Quote from: PhillyGirl on October 29, 2008, 05:11:00 PM

No, and this is not a shot @ obama at all, I said earlier that it was a wow move by him to buy a time slot on national TV. I figure if weather is a concern, start the game at 7 or 7:30pm mainly so the party can start earlier!

PoopyfaceMcGee

Well, they should have started at 3pm on Monday if they gave a shtein about that.

Quote from: QB Eagles on October 29, 2008, 06:02:26 PM
Madson gets the "start".

Works for me.  He can go 2, and Lidge will close it out.

Tonight is the night.  NOT going back to Tampa.

PhillyPhreak54

I'm nervously excited.

I am glad Madson is the guy out there. Let him mow down the 7th and start the 8th, perhaps. That leaves Romero for the 8th and LOL for the 9th.

Geowhizzer

I'm excited, nauseous, heart in my throat, wishing Obama would shut the hell up so we can get this started already.

GO PHILLIES!

PoopyfaceMcGee

I just wanted to take this quick opportunity to say that as much as I hate all of you guys, I love all of you guys.

GO PHILS.

QB Eagles