Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mussa

I finished WWZ a few weeks ago and yes, I have to agree, awesome book. i want them to make a movie.

reading Scar Tissue, autobiography of Red Hot Chili Peppers lead singer.
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Diomedes

Farenheit 451 for the first time.  Halfway through, will finish after another day or two commuting.  Never had to read it as a kid, and it's such a simple idea I didn't really need to read the book to pick up what it is about, but I'm very happy to find the book more than compensates for it's rep and status.  Fine writing.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

phattymatty

because you're going to get to see an interview of one of your favorite authors?  sounds horrible.

PoopyfaceMcGee

It's not "cool" anymore if Oprah's viewers start reading it.

Wingspan

Probably because it's going to be those "once it's too popular, it's no longer cool" things.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

mussa

the book sounds good, in an particluar order for reading McCarthy?
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Wingspan on March 28, 2007, 01:17:27 PM
Probably because it's going to be those "once it's too popular, it's no longer cool" things.

<cartman>  That's what I said! </cartman>

rjs246

Oprah farging pisses me off. Who is she to tell people what to read? Who is she to pass judgement, favorably or not, upon any book? She's a farging talk show host but her 'Book Club' acts as judge and jury for books and novelists because so many mindless iceholes watch her show and listen to what she says. farg her. Go to college and get an education you farging hicks. Oprah isn't going to make you any less of an idiot.

Let them eat bootstraps.

phattymatty

i hope she goes to hell for getting people to read more.

Rome

Quote from: rjs246 on March 28, 2007, 01:27:36 PM
Oprah farging pisses me off. Who is she to tell people what to read? Who is she to pass judgement, favorably or not, upon any book? She's a farging talk show host but her 'Book Club' acts as judge and jury for books and novelists because so many mindless iceholes watch her show and listen to what she says. farg her. Go to college and get an education you farging hicks. Oprah isn't going to make you any less of an idiot.

LOL - rjs has him some jungle fever for Oprah.

rjs246

Quote from: phattymatty on March 28, 2007, 01:30:53 PM
i hope she goes to hell for getting people to read more.
That's the point, this power that she weilds to 'get people to read more' is disgusting. Why is it that these farging sheep didn't listen to their teachers, or parents, or professors, or friends, or anyone else who also probably told them repeatedly to read more? Why would anyone ever do something simply because Oprah told them to? She makes me sick because of what this shtein represents. People would rather listen to the advice of the talking head on their television than heed their teachers' suggestions to read. People would rather have their TV tell them what to do than decide on their own. farging people kill me.

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: rjs246 on March 28, 2007, 02:11:56 PM
me farging kill people.

That's what you meant to say. Take her out. You'll be immortal.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Diomedes

I love Oprah and I also love Cormac McCarthy.

Quote from: mussa on March 28, 2007, 01:20:46 PM
the book sounds good, in an particluar order for reading McCarthy?

I'd read the border trilogy first.  All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing, Cities of the Plain.  If you enjoy the first book, then you'll like all three.  If you like all three, then you'll be familiar enough with his style to tackle Blood Meridian, which is pretty dense.  It's one of the best American books I've ever read.

I'd leave the The Road for last.

meh...you asked.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

rjs246

Let them eat bootstraps.