Thread for Hippos to mock Penn State

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, February 02, 2006, 09:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

What Bill O'Brien did with this program is impressive.

I wonder if he will stick around?

SD

PSU was respectable this season. I doubt O'brien sticks around and I can't blame him. I'm fine with the fines, the taking away scholarships, the wins they took away etc. But I hate that they're not bowl eligible. You're directly punishing the kids and the fans who had nothing to do with what happened. If they were bowl eligible O'brien probably sticks around.

PhillyPhreak54

Yeah I have a big problem with any sanctions that punish the players who had nothing to do with whatever scandal caused it. I know the bowl ban is designed to hurt the program monetarily but it kills the guys who bust their asses to play college ball.

I have a feeling that O'Brien may end up in the Eagles HC discussions

SD

I wouldn't mind O'brien as a candidate. NE's other coordinators haven't amounted to shtein but O'brien really made the best out of a zesty situation with PSU and the team overperformed.

Geowhizzer

He made Matt McGloin look like an actual quarterback.  That alone was impressive.

PoopyfaceMcGee

When the bowl ban got put into effect, his contract officially became a 9-year Johnson at over $3m a year. The buyout alone would make it tricky to leave, and he has a disabled son or something.

Probably just wishful thinking, but I think he's staying put.

ice grillin you

i have never heard of a buyout clause for a coach that wanted to go pro?....does his contract really have one where HE would have to pay penn state to leave?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

It's common. Pro teams gladly pay the money when they really want a guy.

ice grillin you

so then how would that make it difficult to leave

Quote from: FastFreddie on November 26, 2012, 06:18:44 AM
The buyout alone would make it tricky to leave

Quote from: FastFreddie on November 26, 2012, 01:26:33 PM
Pro teams gladly pay the money when they really want a guy.

PoopyfaceMcGee

It's uncommon for a guy to have 8 years left on his contract when pro teams come calling. So his $$$ amount is a bit bigger.

rjs246

Penn State actually gets the head coach decision right on the first try and now he's likely to leave? I farging hate being a sports fan more and more with each passing minute.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

hes been a head coach for three months of his entire life and did OK in a disgustingly bad big ten....i wouldnt quite annoint him yet and would not lose any sleep over him leaving....seriously who the farg is bill obrien

rjs246

I think the job he did under adverse circumstances was pretty farging remarkable. The Big Ten sucked, granted, but by all rights this team should have had a losing record. All of their top talent left and they were an embarrassing mess on special teams all year. McGloin was their farging QB for christ's sake and they went 8-4. I'd say he did a farging brilliant job with what he had to work with.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

and if the big ten gets a little better (which it almost has to) or penn state gets a little worse then hes 5-7 or 4-8....

he did a commendable job im not saying he didnt.....but him leaving wouldnt cause me to hate sports...it would obviously be preferable if he did stay just from a continuity standpoint....i mean they def dont need need  to lose their head coach at this point after what they have been thru.....at the same time they are going to be anywhere from irrelevant to zesty for at least the next six years no matter who the coach is

from a coaching phenom/genius standpoint i just dont see what he did this year thats makes him special...the improvment in mcgloin i would put as much on the paterno regime NOT being there than that obrien turned everything around...i mean the offense had to get better just by imporving the playbook and playcalling which was atrociously bad under the paternos....like division III bad....maybe i will be proved wrong and he is the next belichek...but as of now i have no idea who he is and just dont see getting upset if he left

PoopyfaceMcGee

I really don't think he's likely to leave.

From the "Where are they now?" file:
Gyasi Cline-Heard