2010-11 College Basketball Thread

Started by phattymatty, November 08, 2010, 04:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

i dont think he was heavily recruited unless you count miami seton hall and wake forest as powerhouses
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

DH

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 05, 2011, 05:51:31 PM
theres certain coaches at certain schools who dont get fired/asked to leave...gary is one of them

I completely disagree with this. Williams is one of the most overrated coaches in the country and the only reason people feel the way you do is because Maryland plays in the ACC and every now and then they beat a #1 team.

In 22 seasons, Williams won 1 championship - the only finals appearance he ever made. Nolan Richardson won more than him. Worse than that, he only made 7 sweet 16 appearances in his 22 seasons and hasn't seen the round of 16 since Juan Dixon won him his only title - that doesn't exactly scream untouchable to me.

ice grillin you

nolan richards cheated....gary to his own fault and because he was taking over a program coming off what was essentially the death penalty refused to cheat and then he refused to move forward with the times and would not associate himself with aau reps which really hurt his recruiting

gary williams is one of the best game coaches of all time and won an insane amount of games with less talent than most other big programs...and this is in the best conference in the country over the last 25 years...hes a lock hall of famer and to compare him to nolan richardson is embarrassing

all that aside all i was saying was that he was untouchable at maryland...he was a beloved alumnist who took his alma mater out of the dark ages and got them their only national championship...he was never getting fired or forced out there

DH

I wasnt comparing his body of work to richardsons, just saying they each won the same amount of titles - and nolan took his teams to more final fours.

Why would you give him a free pass for not going after recruits through the aau/adidas camps scene? If he chose against making his program better by refusing to go after guys "unconventionally", thats his fault and something that would be unforgivable if I were a bigtime Terrapin bball fan.

I just dont see how he can be considered untouchable. Since they won their title in 02', UNC has won 2, and Duke 1. In that same time, Maryland has only seen the sweet 16 once, and missed out on dancing 4 times. I dont care if he's an alum or not, built a the program the right way, whatever - he was at his expiration date and the program will be much better off for it.

ice grillin you

he was untouchable for the reasons i mentioned....took over after the bob wade scandal when the job was coaching ebola won a national championship at a place where it was never thought of was a money making machine...also you and i think its dumb not to cheat but lots of educators and fans think its honorable and because of that he was beloved by many in the terp community...especially rich elders and that brings up maybe the biggest reason he was never getting run out....the amount of big money doners he attracted will never be matched at the school again...

he literally is a GOD there and will have the court named after him soon...there are certain coaches who will never ever ben fired or forced out and he was on that short list

DH

ice grillin you

yeah at kentucky it is.....most sane programs have a different standard and realistic expectations and will keep as long as they can hall of fame coaches

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 17, 2011, 07:19:13 AM
i dont think he was heavily recruited unless you count miami seton hall and wake forest as powerhouses

Now you're just being cruel, lumping Wake in with Hall and Miami.  Since 2000, Wake has averaged the 9th best recruiting class in the country.  The problem hasn't been getting the players (it will become the problem now with Bzdelik), but doing anything with them.  0 trips beyond the Sweet 16 that entire time.   :poison

PhillyPhreak54

MDS

this isnt interesting to anyone except for me but temple is going to play texas in december in austin

and i might have to go to that
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

phattymatty

georgetown's doing a little china tour right now, playing some exhibition games, and got into a big brawl with one of the chinese teams today. like fans on the court, chairs being thrown brawl.

holla.

Sgt PSN

ice grillin you

Sgt PSN

Crips and Triads be warring

And lol @ dude getting jacked up in the first pic.

ice grillin you

i just noticed the one cat trying to stomp dood is wearing patterned shorts