Philadelphia

Started by Diomedes, October 19, 2006, 12:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

I would usually interject something sarcastic and inappropriate here but that's a sad story.

RIP, kid.

Sgt PSN

I'm a little curious about this part of it......

QuoteJohnson, 23, was shot in 2003 while waiting for a trolley on a Southwest Philadelphia corner. Five teenagers - one of whom was a rival with Johnson over a teenage girl - approached him from behind and demanded that he "give it up," referring to the jersey.

Now, maybe this chick was 18 or 19 but still.....dude was 23.  What the hell was he messing with teenagers for anyway?  Everyone knows it's not cool to mess with teenage girls..............until you turn 30. 

Rome

^ Sarcastic and inappropriate.

Well done.

Sgt PSN

Who's being sarcastic?  I'm sick of these young punks stealing my teenage tang. 

SunMo

get a PS3, you'll be money for months
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Wingspan

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

SunMo

who cares, you'll have teenage snatch
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Wingspan

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Father Demon

Quote from: Sgt PSN on November 14, 2006, 04:13:06 PM
I'm a little curious about this part of it......

QuoteJohnson, 23, was shot in 2003 while waiting for a trolley on a Southwest Philadelphia corner. Five teenagers - one of whom was a rival with Johnson over a teenage girl - approached him from behind and demanded that he "give it up," referring to the jersey.

Now, maybe this chick was 18 or 19 but still.....dude was 23.  What the hell was he messing with teenagers for anyway?  Everyone knows it's not cool to mess with teenage girls..............until you turn 30. 

I was about to jump all over this until you identified your chronic helplessness with the bait...   
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

Sgt PSN

And I was going to throw a Mustang reference out there but I figured I'd save that part for you.  Poor form bro.  Poor form indeed. 

ice grillin you

Mayor Street's Brother Indicted In Fraud, Tax Probe

Mayor John Street's brother, Milton Street, is one of three people indicted by the U.S. attorney's office on fraud charges.

Milton Street, John Velardi Sr., and Matthias Schwabe were named in the complaint filed by Pat Meehan, United States Attorney for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.

The men are charged with mail fraud, wire fraud, honest services fraud and filing false tax returns.

The complaint says Milton Street began hiring self out in 2000 as highly paid consultant to people who believed the defendants could help obtain business with the city of Philadelphia.

The complaint also says Milton Street received more than $2 million in consulting and nonvending income from consulting he never paid taxes on.
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Seabiscuit36

an little more from teh mayor's brother indictment
QuoteHOME > Local
Philadelphia mayor's brother indicted on fraud, tax charges
By MARYCLAIRE DALE, Associated Press

Posted Wednesday, November 29, 2006 at 9:12 am

T. Milton Street Sr.
PHILADELPHIA -- The older brother of Mayor John F. Street was indicted Tuesday, accused of using his last name to convince companies he could get them lucrative city contracts and failing to pay taxes on $2 million of income.

Soon after Street took office in 2000, T. Milton Street Sr. began hiring himself out as a high-priced consultant to companies that thought he could help them get city contracts, the indictment charged. One firm paid Milton Street, who is a longtime hot dog vendor, a $30,000-a-month consulting fee and required him to do no work, authorities said.

He and two other businessmen face charges of mail and wire fraud, filing false tax returns and related counts.

"Milton Street wanted the IRS to believe he was a humble street vendor selling hot dogs and soda," U.S. Attorney Patrick Meehan said. "What he didn't tell them was that he was making millions on nothing more than his last name."

Milton Street, a state lawmaker in the 1980s, has long been a colorful character on the local scene. He made news in recent years with entrepreneurial efforts including a startup company that offers "Duck boat" tours, a venture that landed him in court in a fight with an established tour operator.

The 69-year-old vowed he would be vindicated of the charges and blamed any problems on poor record-keeping.

"I think, honestly, that I stayed in bounds (of the law)" Milton Street said as he arrived at a home in Moorestown, N.J., on Tuesday. "Now, I have to tell you, I am the worst record-keeper in the history of the modern man."

The mayor, who was not charged, said he did not know details of his brother's financial dealings but defended his right to pursue city contracts.

"My brother is allowed to do business with the city of Philadelphia just like any other person," Mayor Street said at a news conference. "As far as I know, he has played by the rules."

The indictment stemmed from an investigation into municipal corruption in Philadelphia.

The wide-ranging probe, which ensnared the former city treasurer and several businessmen, became public three years ago when an FBI listening device was discovered in the mayor's office. The mayor was never charged.

Federal prosecutors say Milton Street was awarded consulting contracts with companies doing business at two city-owned airports even though he had no experience in facilities maintenance work. His consulting firms contained the name Notlim, which is Milton spelled backward.

One company, General Asphalt Paving, paid him $8,000 a month -- and later $12,500 a month -- to get city business, including a contract for maintenance at Philadelphia International Airport and Northeast Philadelphia Airport, prosecutors said.

Milton Street also was accused of defrauding a prospective airport contractor, who gave him $80,000 on a promise from Milton Street that he could get them a $3.2 million contract that didn't exist, prosecutors said.
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Susquehanna Birder

Welcome to business as usual in City Hall.

ice grillin you

N.J. Says All Consumers Must Avoid Green Onions

New Jersey state health officials are telling consumers to avoid eating green
onions at home and at restaurants after an E-coli outbreak. Also, a huge food
center that serves 1,100 restaurants is throwing out all its food.
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Seabiscuit36

Awsome..i have a moldy GreenOnion in the fridge.  Time to cash in  :puke  :deion :deion :deion
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons