Tech/Geek help

Started by Father Demon, July 07, 2006, 05:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Father Demon

So I am starting to work from home now, and the main problem I have is I can't print to my home printer when I'm VPN'd into my work network.  I'm sure I need a wireless print server, and I'm looking for any pros/cons from you smart people.

I only have one home PC, my work laptop, and one printer that needs to all be working together.  Well, both computers need to be able to print to the printer, anyway.

Any suggestions on which works best?
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

Phanatic

I currently have my PC downstairs hooked directly up to my printer. I then 'shared' that printer. I can add it with my work lap top and print to it whenever I want. I do have to add and readd it sometimes from my lap top but it works for me so far. No print server required...

This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

PoopyfaceMcGee

The best bet is to do what Phanatic did - the "print servers" they sell have a shteinload of configuration and setup issues and do not work universally as they advertise.

Hook up your home PC to the printer, and share it on your internal network through a router.  If you don't have a wireless router, get one.

Zanshin

Quote from: Phanatic on July 07, 2006, 05:18:59 PM
I currently have my PC downstairs hooked directly up to my printer. I then 'shared' that printer. I can add it with my work lap top and print to it whenever I want. I do have to add and readd it sometimes from my lap top but it works for me so far. No print server required...

That's how I do it.  Just remember to load the printer drivers on your laptop.

Father Demon

That did it.  You guys just saved me $75+.

I have an HP All-in-one cheapo printer, and the HP rep told me that they don't support networking that particular printer.  So, after much Googling, I found the cheat way to get it installed.  I'm now printing both on my personal stuff onmy laptop, and also when VPN'd into my office.

Sweet.....
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.