Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Diomedes on November 16, 2007, 07:53:22 AM
The long range thought here is that when Spring rolls around and I can afford to have the Volvo off the road a bit, I'm going to have some fun with it.  There are all kinds of conversion kits.  The most common engine conversion in the US is to drop a Ford small block V8 into it.  I don't know if I'll do that, or some other engine..perhaps a Lexus?...but I'm def. going to turn this thing into a sleeper.

When I worked at my Uncle's shop I helped one of the builders drop the V-8 from his Lincoln into an old Hornet. It wouldn't fit so we wound up welding out part of the wheel well and using fitted 'wooden' mounts to support it. Thing ran but it was a dog. He took it to Atco but he didn't post well.

Diomedes

yeah, I'm not going to get anything super fast out of it..and certainly not without upgrading the suspension..but I'm game for both to see what I can do, and I get a boner thinking about laying rubber in a Volvo wagon

here's vid that I shot of the first time we started the Malibu.  didn't realize my friend had posted it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3bekgHM6RE
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SD_Eagle5

Nice. Ever take it to the track?

Plan is when I'm through with school I'm going to get a tubbed out 68' Camaro and restore it. My Uncle has a cherry picker, lifts and everything I'd need so I'll just have to buy the parts and do the work. I have a couple friends that are interested in helping out.

Diomedes

Yeah, he's tracked it.  low 13's iirc.  I don't know much about drag racing.  Whatever he ran, he said he could easily drop the time because he ran it with all kinds of crap in the car (say seventy pounds of stuff), and he hadn't removed any ancillary systems, like heating.  I know he removed the heater, but don't know what times he's getting now, or even if he's taken it back.

He's basically a street hooligan.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SD_Eagle5

Low 13's on a 1/4 mile track isn't bad. Dropping some weight he could probably get it down in the mid 12's. If it weren't for my Camaro infatuation I'd probably get an old Malibu.

Diomedes

Quote from: SD_Eagle on November 16, 2007, 05:08:53 PM
Low 13's on a 1/4 mile track isn't bad. Dropping some weight he could probably get it down in the mid 12's.

I think this is exactly what Steve told me.  I'll see him soon, and ask what time he's running now.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Diomedes on November 16, 2007, 05:40:38 PM
I'll see him soon

While you're out running errands? 

That car sounds nice though.  And keep us updated on your Volvo experiment. 

PhillyPhanInDC

The Volvo conversions are fun. A buddy of mine started on a 740 years ago, was going to put L98 out of a IROC-Z/Z-28/Vette in it. Don't think he ever finished it. Coincidentally he own a 1979 Malibu we chucked an aluminum headed 350 in. The farging thing was painted candy purple, and the exhaust consisted of headers.

The L-98 would be the best engine to go with in my opinion. Better than the 5.0. Gobs more torque, better drivability, and stronger factory bottom end.

L-98 (350 TPI)

I always wanted to put a small block in a Triumph TR-6, finding the motor to do it has alway been real easy, but most of the car's I've found are either pristine restorations worth tens of thousands or complete basket cases.

Miata's are option too. Gotta find one with a driveline that is shtein though...

Dio, you're up in Baltimore right?

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Sgt PSN

I don't care what you put under the hood of a Miata.  It's still a farging Miata and I don't think there's anything that you can do to it that will make it less gay. 

Good luck with the Triumph though.  Like you said, it's pretty much feast or famine with them.  There's not a lot of middle ground where you'll find one that's simply in servicable condition. 

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: Sgt PSN on November 19, 2007, 10:28:41 AM
I don't care what you put under the hood of a Miata.  It's still a farging Miata and I don't think there's anything that you can do to it that will make it less gay. 

That's why I like the idea so much. I've always been a huge fan of "sleepers". I love Dio's idea of putting a thumping V-8 into grandma's grocery getter, or a fag-esque Miata. That way when some tool pulls up next to me at a stop light in a newer Mustang, talking shtein, I can blow his doors off so bad that heavy amounts of gel flies out of his zesty haircut.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Sgt PSN

1.  Eat it.
2.  It's mousse, not gel.
3.  Well played. 

Diomedes

Miatas are good cars.  Ask any racer on a budget.  Macho men might have problems with them because they worry so much about what other people think of them, but that has nothing to do with the fact that they are flickable, moddable, inexpensive sportsters. 

Yeah, PPinDC, I'm in Baltimore.  What is the LD1?  I are ignant.

MURP

Sgt PSN

That's pretty cool and all but once they become standard on all cars just think about how it's going to affect the movie industry when they won't be able to have actors open their car doors to stop a bike messenger dead in their tracks.  Clearly no one thought this all the way through before proceeding with the whole thing.   

Diomedes

I'll believe that door is as safe as a b pillar when pigs fly