Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

Today my friend and I pulled the gearbox out of a '91 BMW R100 RT.  We had to detach the drive shaft, rear swing arm, rear (single side) shock, remove the carbs, battery, and battery cradle, loosen the rear brake adjuster, and other shtein I can't recall after three gin and tonics.   Finally got it out so we can send it off to be rebuilt.  When I pulled the drain plug we found the magnet covered in shards of metal shavings...looked like an oily chia pet.  Something weren't right inside.  We're doing the job for a friend, and to learn. 

I had a blast.  Never done that job before.  Listened to old Mudhoney and drank a couple (and only a couple) beers as we did it.  I farging love hanging out in the garage figuring shtein out.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Diomedes

here's what 267 mph looks like, from rear facing view

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKIx4_0KsvA
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

mussa

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Diomedes

hbionic

I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: Diomedes on February 19, 2007, 09:57:39 PM
Today my friend and I pulled the gearbox out of a '91 BMW R100 RT.  We had to detach the drive shaft, rear swing arm, rear (single side) shock, remove the carbs, battery, and battery cradle, loosen the rear brake adjuster, and other shtein I can't recall after three gin and tonics.   Finally got it out so we can send it off to be rebuilt.  When I pulled the drain plug we found the magnet covered in shards of metal shavings...looked like an oily chia pet.  Something weren't right inside.  We're doing the job for a friend, and to learn. 

Dio, the shavings on the drain plug are there for a reason. Doesn't mean something's wrong, only if you have chunks of metal. You find it in most cars, bikes, and trucks. As the trans breaks in, wears over it's life, the gears naturally wear down, and metal becomes suspended in the lubricant. The magnet just separates the fillings from the oil, which if not kept in check will act like sand paper, especially on the cylinder bores.

Question: After being emasculated while purchasing a CR-V for the wife and the new baby, I'm think of getting something to tinker on for myself, that won't ultimately lead me to high dollar speeding tickets and/or loss of my license. I was thinking of getting a Jeep Wrangler, or something similar. My older brother had one for a couple of years, and I drove it around a few times. With the top and doors off, it was a farging ball, just cruising around in it. Other than that, I know precisely dick about Jeeps, and for that matter, off roading. I'd like to get into rock crawling or just off road with it. Any thoughts? Any real alternatives to the Jeep?
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Diomedes

Yeah, I know it's normal to have some fragments, and I know why they happen/why the magnet is there, etc.  But there were a lot.  Too many.  I was taking it out for a rebuild afterall...

Also...get an old Rover!

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: Diomedes on March 27, 2007, 04:10:29 PM
Yeah, I know it's normal to have some fragments, and I know why they happen/why the magnet is there, etc.  But there were a lot.  Too many.  I was taking it out for a rebuild afterall...

Had the gear fluid ever been changed? Not that it matters, I'm just curious.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Diomedes

It had..relatively recently.  (1500 miles?? 2000 miles??)  dunno.  It certainly wasn't 10 years or anything like that.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: PPinDC on March 27, 2007, 03:55:07 PM
Question: After being emasculated while purchasing a CR-V for the wife and the new baby, I'm think of getting something to tinker on for myself, that won't ultimately lead me to high dollar speeding tickets and/or loss of my license. I was thinking of getting a Jeep Wrangler, or something similar. My older brother had one for a couple of years, and I drove it around a few times. With the top and doors off, it was a farging ball, just cruising around in it. Other than that, I know precisely dick about Jeeps, and for that matter, off roading. I'd like to get into rock crawling or just off road with it. Any thoughts? Any real alternatives to the Jeep?

A good friend of mine down here is a Jeep fanatic.  Dude's got like 35 inch wheels on it, made lots of mods himself and spends most of his weekends off roading with it.  I've been with him a few times and had a blast.   

As for Jeep alternatives, I agree with Dio.   Get yourself an old Rover or a Scout. 

PhillyPhanInDC

I'd like to do the Scout, or an old Bronco, but they are terrible rust buckets. I'm not about to do a frame off restoration just to go beat the shtein out of it against rocks.

This Rover you speak of. It intrigues me. Tell me more of this Rover.....

A Range Rover? Like an old one? Aren't they all boxy, ugly SUVs?

Susquehanna Birder

Diomedes

I spent the day today working on my friend's '89 Volvo 245 DL and my '92 Honda Accord LX.

On the Volvo we replaced the rear brake calipers, changed the oil, and rotated the summer wheels onto the car.  On the Honda, we replaced the front sway bar links, disabled the annoying car alarm horn (without making it inoperable--I can plug it back in whenever I happen to be in some shteinhole like Philly or the Bronx again), and removed all the crap that had been installed in '93 when a car phone was put in the car.  Also ordered a new front engine mount for the Honda because the one that there is failing.

Good day, saved ourselves a bunch of money, learned a bunch of shtein and had a fine time drinking beers in the garage.

Oh yeah...we also helped my buddy's wife till three raised garden beds, making her very happy.

Good times.

Sgt PSN

That part about working in a garden would probably be better served in the men should act like men thread.  Or atleast the random musings thread.  Definately not in the gearhead thread. 

Diomedes

You ever operate one of those self propelled gas powered, two wheel roto tillers?  Nothing womanly about using one of those things.