Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD_Eagle5

A little over a decade ago before my Navy days I worked in my Uncle's shop rebuilding Tranny's.

Event Horizon

Quote from: PhillyPhaninDC on January 25, 2007, 04:39:17 PM
Christ, I just wrote out a huge reply to this thread and internet connection timed out. Suckage.

Quote from: Event Horizon on January 25, 2007, 04:10:42 PM
Sounds like a guy who would like Nascar.  :-D
Nascar sucks balls. Dumbest event (I refuse to call it a sport) man has ever particpated in.

It is a sport whether you like it or not.

So you don't like motorsports. Building and racing machines is bigger than most sports. It's a man's sport. You are unable to appreciate the nuances of the great sport because you are an emasculated POS.

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: Event Horizon on January 25, 2007, 05:07:51 PM

So you don't like motorsports. Building and racing machines is bigger than most sports. It's a man's sport. You are unable to appreciate the nuances of the great sport because you are an emasculated POS.

Definition of the word Sport: Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

Have you ever driven a car/bike/boat that was prepped for racing? I doubt it. If you did, you would know the vehicle is the thing doing 99% of the physical work. There is some degree of intelligence or strategy on the part of the vehicle's operator that results in winning, but you would call a jockey or a NASCAR driver a great athlete?

Not that I feel I have to defend myself to the likes of you, but I have been racing cars since I was 16, have been a member of NHRA for over a decade, and understand more about the dynamics that affect your obviously favorite sport that you could even begin to imagine. I can tell you with great assurance, that drag racing, circle track racing, tractor pulls, monster truck rallys, etc., are most definately not sports in the true sense of the term.

All that said, how about you get back to chasing the "black folk" in your pick-up while running still illegal moonshine.

P.S. Thank your backwards granpappy for the "good libations" for me.

Redneck.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Wingspan

It once took me 7 hours to change a fuel filter with nothing but a screwdriver.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

BlueHeart

My brother and me changed the engine ourselves, in my Firebird, a few years back. We ended up snapping the brackets for my alternator, which were made for it since the modifications had to be done to put a Chevy 350 in it. I can't weld to save my life so they ended up snapping within a week. C'est la vie. It's a '79 and, obviously, there isn't a damn thing that's computerized, so, most of the repairs I can do myself.

My lil' gay '04 Elantra I won't even change the oil in.

It just doesn't instill the same love and devotion....
Maybe the voices aren't real, but, they've got some pretty good ideas...

Event Horizon

Quote from: PhillyPhaninDC on January 25, 2007, 05:15:54 PM
Quote from: Event Horizon on January 25, 2007, 05:07:51 PM

Definition of the word Sport: Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

Have you ever driven a car/bike/boat that was prepped for racing? I doubt it. If you did, you would know the vehicle is the thing doing 99% of the physical work. There is some degree of intelligence or strategy on the part of the vehicle's operator that results in winning, but you would call a jockey or a NASCAR driver a great athlete?

Not that I feel I have to defend myself to the likes of you, but I have been racing cars since I was 16, have been a member of NHRA for over a decade, and understand more about the dynamics that affect your obviously favorite sport that you could even begin to imagine. I can tell you with great assurance, that drag racing, circle track racing, tractor pulls, monster truck rallys, etc., are most definately not sports in the true sense of the term.

All that said, how about you get back to chasing the "black folk" in your pick-up while running still illegal moonshine.

Redneck.

Look, you pompous icehole. Driving a 750 hp machine for three hours, in competition with 42 others, is a physical activity governed by a set of rules. It's not surprising that northern jackasses show themselves to be the complete idiots they claim for southerners. There are all sorts of sports, you moron. It is not limited, as the definition you provided, to your own disgrace, to only physical, head to head, athletic competition.

By the way, shtein head, I'm black. So leave your redneck jokes aside. You'll have to think out of the box to tangle with me.

ice grillin you

Redneck.

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on January 25, 2007, 04:22:36 PM
Also - I suck at teh mechanical stuff too.  Wish I wasn't clueless about it, though.  Knowing how to work on your own car saves you mad cash.

Yep.  I'm in this same boat.  Totally clueless about cars. I'm the least handy man in America.

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: Event Horizon on January 25, 2007, 06:10:34 PM

Driving a 750 hp machine for three hours in circles, in competition with 42 others while going in circles, is a physical activity governed by a set of rules that state you must drive in circles..

Sure skippy.

pompous icehole
jackasses
complete idiots
you moron.

You'll have to think out of the box to tangle with me.

Think outside the box? As in, say, calling people names on an internet message board? I'll pass, take the more mature road, and act like you don't exist.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Diomedes

Good idea.  Now, tell me about your cars.  And post some pics if you got 'em, would love to see 'em.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Event Horizon

Quote from: PhillyPhaninDC on January 25, 2007, 08:41:41 PM

Driving a 750 hp machine for three hours in circles, in competition with 42 others while going in circles, is a physical activity governed by a set of rules that state you must drive in circles..

Sure skippy.

pompous icehole
jackasses
complete idiots
you moron.

You'll have to think out of the box to tangle with me.

Think outside the box? As in, say, calling people names on an internet message board? I'll pass, take the more mature road, and act like you don't exist.

Good. Stay where your weak mental constitution has a shot- outside my presence.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Diomedes on January 25, 2007, 08:44:13 PM
Good idea.  Now, tell me about your cars.  And post some pics if you got 'em, would love to see 'em.

Won't post pics because they're too large, but my late Grandfather and Uncle have been drag racing their whole life, here's a page with the cars they've raced and a little history.

Some more pictures and history.

Diomedes

That's farging awesome, SD.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Drunkmasterflex

I have always wanted to get involved with cars more, I just find that I don't have enough time and there are things that are more interesting to me.  About the only mechanical shtein I do is the maintenance we perform on our vehicles in the Army.  Right now the Bradley Fighting Vehicle is currently consuming my life. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell