Reggie Brown...day one stud

Started by PhillyGirl, July 30, 2005, 04:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reidme

Quote from: PhillyGirl on July 31, 2005, 10:47:22 AM
::) Negadelphian much?

Guilty as charged.

I am hoping this guy will be the first quality WR we've drafted in decades, and I'm not discounting the possibility, but Reid hasn't even once shown the inclination to play a rookie WR in a real game. I am guessing TO will be back, with Pinky, and Lewis next in line. Barring injury or holdout, Reggie may not get a chance to play regardless of talent except in 4 WR sets late in the season. Personally, I am all for throwing rookie WRs & RBs in the mix early and often, especially when we have a comfortable lead. Reid does not agree with me. Then again, if I were the coach, we'd probably finish 0-16 this year, so what do i know.

We need some fodder during camp, so optimism over a promising WR is as good as it gets, but in reality, he probably will have minimal impact if any at all this season.
The NFL old standard.

TempleOwl

Quote from: Reidme on July 31, 2005, 12:57:55 PM
Quote from: PhillyGirl on July 31, 2005, 10:47:22 AM
::) Negadelphian much?

Guilty as charged.

I am hoping this guy will be the first quality WR we've drafted in decades, and I'm not discounting the possibility, but Reid hasn't even once shown the inclination to play a rookie WR in a real game. I am guessing TO will be back, with Pinky, and Lewis next in line. Barring injury or holdout, Reggie may not get a chance to play regardless of talent except in 4 WR sets late in the season. Personally, I am all for throwing rookie WRs & RBs in the mix early and often, especially when we have a comfortable lead. Reid does not agree with me. Then again, if I were the coach, we'd probably finish 0-16 this year, so what do i know.

We need some fodder during camp, so optimism over a promising WR is as good as it gets, but in reality, he probably will have minimal impact if any at all this season.

As his sponsor I'll say this...he was the first rookie WR (I think) to go to Arizona to work out with McNabb.  He has been working extremely hard to learn the playbook.  this is a much different start than Hollywood had.  All he wanted to do is find the next reporter to speak to.
"If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and swims like a duck...SHOOT IT!"

Eaglez

I'm impressed by his demeanor and the way he handles himself. He seems to have a similar personality to McNabb in that he's all business and carries himself well. He's willing to learn and seems like a bright young man.

I think that alone will serve him well in the NFL. He has the right type of head on his shoulders and the physical talent to match.

That being said I'm excited to see how he will produce in TC and in preseason games.

Diomedes

I'm happy he's on the field.  All the rest is premature.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

Quote from: Diomedes on July 31, 2005, 07:45:06 PM
I'm happy he's on the field.  All the rest is premature.

Nuh uh.

hunt

lemonade was a popular drink and it still is

Number1EaglesFan

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 31, 2005, 07:54:07 AM
I'll believe it when hes starting and making plays in games

or at least against sheldon and/or lito in practice
patience my man patience. He will this kid is for real :yay

I hope anyway :paranoid

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteBirds hope Brown can take the heat

By LES BOWEN
bowenl@phillynews.com

BETHLEHEM - The route-running and pass-catching part of it went just fine, Reggie Brown felt.

It was the "Arizona'' part of being invited to Arizona a few weeks ago to commune with Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb that the Eagles' second-round rookie wide receiver felt was a struggle.

"It was a different experience, going out there in that heat,'' Brown said yesterday, as rookies and select veterans navigated the second of 3 days of workouts, before the bulk of the team was to report to training camp this evening. "It just allowed me to get more familiar with him, in that kind of enviornment.''

Brown said the main thing he learned about his new QB is "that he likes to work.''

"You go out to Arizona to get work in, you must love to work,'' Brown said. "It was like, 118 degrees out there. I got up about 8:30 or 9, it was already 100 degrees outside.''

Of course, Arizona residents always say, "but it's a dry heat.''

"That doesn't help at all,'' said Brown, who was born, raised and then spent his college career in the much stickier warmth of Georgia. "It's really dry. When you breathe in, it dries your throat out immediately. You have to drink a lot of water.''

Brown said that was his first visit to Arizona, "and I don't know if I'll go back.''

Actually, a reporter pointed out, he pretty much has to, since the Eagles are scheduled to visit the Cardinals on Christmas Eve.

"Hopefully, it'll cool down by then,'' Brown said.

"Boy, you try to bring a guy into a new climate, a new area,'' McNabb said, smiling. "Those guys think down-South heat is tough... Good thing he didn't bring that up while we were out there.''

Weather aside, the rookie agreed it was "kind of flattering'' to be included in a group of Eagles getting together to work out with McNabb, including safety Brian Dawkins, running back Brian Westbrook and fellow wideouts Greg Lewis, Billy McMullen and Justin Jenkins.

Of course, Eagles fans will be quick to note that Terrell Owens was not among the teammates who found their way out to the desert this year, after a much-publicized precamp visit with McNabb a year ago. McNabb told reporters at the most recent minicamp that Owens was invited again; an Owens publicist has said T.O. and McNabb were unable to mesh their schedules.

McNabb's remarks Saturday, when he indicated he plans to take a cordial but businesslike approach to his relationship with Owens if T.O. reports as expected today, probably shouldn't be interpreted as any sort of major shift in the tone of their interaction. All that best-buddy, odd-couple roommate stuff of a year ago was good PR for both players and for the team, but even though Owens bought a house near McNabb in Moorestown, N.J., he and McNabb didn't hang out that much. As long as they get along on the field, there shouldn't be much difference from before. They will not be roommates at this camp.

Other than McNabb, Brown might be the Eagle most affected by Owens' dispute with the Eagles. The Birds drafted him 35th overall, the highest they've taken a wideout since drafting first-rounder Freddie Mitchell 25th in 2001. Ever since his first minicamp, Brown has fielded questions about what Owens' unhappiness with the Birds' refusal to revise his contract might mean for a player who could be slated to be T.O.'s eventual replacement.

"I've been getting T.O. questions since I got drafted,'' Brown said on Friday, when he reported for camp. "I don't know him. I've never met him. I really can't say too much about him.''

Asked if he felt there were any comparisons between himself and Owens (a third-round pick of the 49ers in 1996), Brown smiled. "We're both receivers,'' he said. "They can compare you to anybody. I'm just going to go out there and play my game, and if he comes in, I'll be able to watch him and learn from him; he's a great receiver.''

Every story written about Brown this year will include the fact that under Andy Reid, rookie receivers don't tend to flourish. Mitchell's 21 catches for 283 yards are the rookie-wideout high of the Andy Era.

"We're 7 years into the offense, and it snowballs on you,'' Reid said yesterday. "There are a lot of things we just know our players know, and you can add new wrinkles in there on top of those base plays. For a young guy coming in, he's got to be pretty sharp to pick all that up and then go out and execute it against all the different defensive looks that defenses are throwing at you. [Brown] is doing a nice job with it. He studies, he's got a great work ethic.''

McNabb said Saturday that Brown "can turn a 6-yard route into a play that can go the distance.'' He also praised Brown as "a guy who is always open for advice and guidance, he's not a guy that thinks he knows it all.''

Yesterday, McNabb said it would be a mistake for anyone to put big expectations on Brown as a rookie, with all the weapons the Eagles have - if he catches 40 balls, great, but the important thing is for him to learn and grow.

Much has been made of how quickly Brown seems to be picking up the offense. Brown is wary of taking too much credit too soon there.

"The information they give you, I'm picking it up pretty good, I'm not making many mistakes, but there's so much more information to come,'' Brown said. "That's the problem; the offense, it can be basic in a sense, but once you start piling it on and on, it's hard to retain the information. I've just got to stay on top of it and try not to get overwhelmed.''

Wingspan

Quote from: Reidme on July 31, 2005, 09:15:43 AM
As much as I want to be optimistic, history says that the earliest this guy will see the field in live action is the second half of the season. Thats been the case with every rookie WR under Reid ... and thats best case.

actually, history says he'll drop a pass in the 4th quarter of a game early in the season...and then he'll be buried for the rest of the year :P
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

PhillyGirl

My "source", who rarely talks up players to me, told me today (after watching a few days of practice) that Reggie Brown is going to be really good. He believes he will be the first Eagles rookie WR to catch more than 21 passes since Victor Bailey in 1993.

FWIW.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

TempleOwl

Quote from: PhillyGirl on August 01, 2005, 12:58:07 PM
My "source", who rarely talks up players to me, told me today (after watching a few days of practice) that Reggie Brown is going to be really good. He believes he will be the first Eagles rookie WR to catch more than 21 passes since Victor Bailey in 1993.

FWIW.

I liked Victor Bailey.  He was the Illini wasn't he.  didn't he have some injury that ended his career?  I think Reggie is going to be productive in this offense early.  This is the first time that we have a quality WR rookie working in an offense that has TO to take some of the heat.  He'll catch passes in the beginning simply because he is overlooked.  As reggie's sponsor, I'm looking forward to seeing him light it up this season.  Working in Arizona with Donovan AND Darth will prove to be educational.
"If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and swims like a duck...SHOOT IT!"

MURP

im interested to see how he does against Lito and Sheldon.  Screw the 15th string CB's.  ;)

PhillyGirl

Quote from: MURP on August 01, 2005, 01:11:47 PM
im interested to see how he does against Lito and Sheldon.  Screw the 15th string CB's.  ;)

I said the same thing, but his response was that the route running and smarts was light years ahead of the other rookies (including Lewis/Pinkston/Freddie) that have come into camp in recent years. The fact that he's only been there for a few days and already knows where he is supposed to be on the field is a HUGE thing. McNabb throws and Brown is always where he should be.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

rjs246

Good. Let's cut TO. On his face.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

General_Failure

Or, and I know this is a crazy idea, we can have two good WRs on the field at the same time. Think about it.

The man. The myth. The legend.