Tailgate Philly 101

Started by MURP, September 18, 2002, 02:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MURP

Decided to start a long term thread dedicated to Eagles tailgating.  Any links to do with hotels, bars, sightseeing, tailgating recipes, beer, accessories, blah, etc. can be posted here.

I have erased 90% of the thread in this forum that were useless now and will continue to remove threads when they become outdated. (dont worry, your post count stays the same after the threads are removed)

Any great information that will help others in tailgating Philly Style should be placed in this thread.  Any tailgating links are appreciated!  (I will remove the weaker links if better ones are provided)

A big thanks to all who help out with this "ultimate philly tailgate thread"  8)    (Sus birder, Eaglesfan30, etc.)

MURP

GoinLong

The house was built by players like  ,  [Joyner], [Brown], [Simmons]," he says. "They set that legacy of Eagles defense, then passed it on to us and we built from it. Now, it's their turn to uphold the reputation."- TV

Susquehanna Birder

Great. Competition for:

BTW...I have some serious problems with this picture:

First of all, couldn't they find a picture without Trotter in it? And what are he and Troy doing to that guy's ass?

Sgt PSN

That's where they get the special ingredient for their hot dogs.

henchmanUK

www.showmetickets.com
This is the company I used for my Eagles-taterskins ticket last year (thanks, PG). There's a markup, but it was worth it!
"The drunkenness, the violence, the nihilism: the Eagles should really be an English football team, not an American one." - Financial Times, London

dpierce

For the out of towners (like me), you can't leave out these places for before or after the game.
Crier of the week: Terrorists of all backgrounds. Tantrums are selfish acts by children; extortion and murder disguised as fervor for a cause are both selfish and just plain evil. "We're gonna blow up things and kill people until we get our way!" There's a convincing argument, huh?

Susquehanna Birder

General_Failure

You mean they don't have water ice anywhere else?

The man. The myth. The legend.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: General_Failure on May 28, 2003, 09:29:34 PM
You mean they don't have water ice anywhere else?

LOL, they sure don't.  I've had the opportunity to travel around the country and live on both coasts and now the Mid West and no one more than 100 miles outside Philly knows what water ice is.  And get this....those not familiar with Philly cuisine actually think a soft pretzel is supposed to be soft.  

Some other interesting things I've picked up in my travels:

1.  That news article was right, nobody else in the country knows what Scrapple is.  If I ask for it I'm told it's not polite to play board games while eating breakfast.  
2.  In Seattle, if you order a cheesesteak sandwich you will receive a boneless steak on white break with a slice of cheese on it.  
3.  I have yet to meet anyone outside of Philly who drinks "wudder".
4.  The rest of the country is not priviledged enough to eat Tastykakes.  Actually, that is sort of a lie because Tastykake has slowly started to expand to other parts of the country within the last couple years.  But I still haven't met a person outside Philly who could tell me what a Chocolate Junior is.
5.  You will get a very wierd look from the clerk at a 7-11 if you ask him/her where the Utz potato chips are.
6.  No one has a clue what "dippy" eggs are.
7.  Aside from the fact that Water Ice is the tastiest oxymoron known to man, the closest thing you will find to it anywhere is commonly known as a Sno Cone, but we have them too.  

Also, an interesting tailgating note.  I've been to a few Chiefs games since coming out here and I've noticed that there is a large number of people out here who cook breakfast during their tailgate.  Eggs, bacon, pancakes.  You name it, they cook it.  Most people still go with the traditional burgers and hot dogs and since this is KC, lot's of BBQ going on too.  I just thought is was a little odd that so many people would cook breakfast right before/after a football game.  Especially if it's a late game.  Weird people.  

MURP

Never knew that PSN.   The rest of the world clearly sucks.  ;)

Sgt PSN

Quote from: MURP on May 28, 2003, 10:34:31 PM
The rest of the world clearly sucks.  ;)

That it does Murp.  That it does.  

GoinLong

You're forgetting Peanut Chews and birch beer,hot and sweet cherry peppers, roast pork sandwiches with broccoli rabe and provolone and pork roll.Not to mention, there are no Wawa's.

Enjoy Dallas ;)
The house was built by players like  ,  [Joyner], [Brown], [Simmons]," he says. "They set that legacy of Eagles defense, then passed it on to us and we built from it. Now, it's their turn to uphold the reputation."- TV

Sgt PSN

Forgot about the WaWa's.  There's also no MAC machines.  They are strictly called ATM's.  Zeps are another food that I forgot too.  You definately won't find them anywhere else.

QuoteEnjoy Dallas

Funny you should mention that.  I just found out today that I'm still going, just not until after Jan 1.   >:(   This mean's I won't be down there during football season when the birds play there.   :cry:  I'm going to beg and whine a lot though so hopefully I can get this decision reversed and be down there 'round Sep.  

GoinLong

Good luck on your relocation's timing. Just stay away from those grassy knolls.