2005 CFFFL Playoffs stuff

Started by MURP, November 28, 2005, 05:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomahawk

Quote from: MURP on November 30, 2005, 12:28:21 PM
can any of you AFC guys get into your league?

I doubt it. The keeper league was farged as well as another league I'm in.

MDS

2 of my leagues are okay, 2 say im not in them. hmmm.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

I got in just fine.  It announced me as the winner.  Better luck next year suckaz. 

Diomedes

Quote from: MURP on November 30, 2005, 12:28:21 PM
can any of you AFC guys get into your league?

Quote from: Yahoo!We are currently performing server maintenance. Please try again shortly...
Sorry for the inconvenience.

-- Yahoo! Sports
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MDS

anywho, i desperatley want to win this week so i can knock diomedes out of the playoffs.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

QB Eagles

What about the following scenario?

Teams A, B, and C have identical records.
Team A has beaten team B.
Team B has beaten team C.
Team C has beaten team A.

This is a real possibility in the AFC. So are other similar variations. 6 teams might end up with the same record in our league, and the "best" of those teams would be the #4 seed.

Wingspan

i would guess that total points scored would prevail?
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Wingspan on December 03, 2005, 11:43:17 AM
i would guess that total points scored would prevail?

Yep. 

Quote from: MURP on November 28, 2005, 05:24:34 PM
Teams with the best record get in... if there are ties in record, tiebreaker goes by head to head record of the tied teams. If the teams played each other twice and split it goes to who has scored the most points overall in the entire season. read that again, not hard to follow.

QB Eagles

Quote from: Sgt PSN on December 03, 2005, 11:48:32 AM
read that again, not hard to follow.

Actually PSN, you should read that again.

QuoteTeams with the best record get in... if there are ties in record, tiebreaker goes by head to head record of the tied teams. If the teams played each other twice and split it goes to who has scored the most points overall in the entire season. read that again, not hard to follow.

It says absolutely nothing about the scenario I described.

Sgt PSN

I think what it means is when all else fails then it will come down to points.  It doesn't say that but I read between the lines and saw it there.  :P

QB Eagles

Well I propose that the rules be completely and explicitly defined before we play the games, leaving no ill-defined scenarios. Better to argue before the games than after them.

For example, this scenario looms large in the AFC:

Teams A, B, C, and D have identical records.
Team A beat team D.
Team B beat team A and team C.
Team C beat team A and team D.
Team D beat team B.

Should this be decided by the points of all 4 teams? The points of teams B and C (because both of them have the identical highest records within the group)? Or should B go to the playoffs because they have a head-to-head victory over C?

Wingspan

Quote from: QB Eagles on December 03, 2005, 12:04:48 PM
Well I propose that the rules be completely and explicitly defined before we play the games, leaving no ill-defined scenarios. Better to argue before the games than after them.

Team A beat team D.
Team D beat team B.

Should this be decided by the points of all 4 teams? The points of teams B and C (because both of them have the identical highest records within the group)? Or should B go to the playoffs because they have a head-to-head victory over C?

Team A would be 1-2 in that scenerio
B would be 2-1
C would be 2-1
D would be 1-2

my guess is A and D are out of luck.

then run tie breaker of B and C

B beat C

B is in the playoffs
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

MURP

If teams have the same record and have no win/loss head to head advantage over another team than total points scored in the season would determine who makes the playoffs.   So yeah, in this situation I would say that overall points when all else fails. 

QB Eagles

The interesting thing about it being set up (wingspan's) way is that B would actually be hoping for C to win its game this week because it would help them avoid a point playoff with A and D. :-D

Personally I wouldn't have secondary head-to-head tiebreakers. It would go by the record within the tied group and then by points. (Meaning it would go to either B or C depending on who has more points) Otherwise things can get pathological quickly, especially in the 6 team scenario.

But it's up for the commissioners to decide really. I'm just trying to make a playoff scenario chart for our league.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: QB Eagles on December 03, 2005, 12:04:48 PM

Team A beat team D.
Team D beat team B.

That's going to make my head explode so I propose that if that scenerio holds true then teams A, B, C and D be eliminated for not stepping up and team E be allowed in.  :D