What are you listening to?

Started by MURP, September 17, 2004, 12:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Geowhizzer

Wife has in the Colin Hay Band...

mussa

it took me a long time to even like toxicity just because the fact that the guitarist did back up vocals. he really annoyed me

their first cd is golden
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Seabiscuit36

M.I.A.- Kala.   Paper Planes is a bad ass song, and they have an awesome website
http://www.miauk.com/
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Diomedes

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing

yeah, M.I.A. is good
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Munson

Quote from: mussa on February 22, 2008, 08:43:23 PM
it took me a long time to even like toxicity just because the fact that the guitarist did back up vocals. he really annoyed me

their first cd is golden

I actually liked the way they used him on Toxicity. He had a few solo singing moments like in Prison Song, but mostly did back up harmonies and shtein. I can handle him sparingly like that. My beef was when he was doing at LEAST 50% of the vocals in songs like on Hypnotize. Your a good guitarist dude but you're voice aint cut out for singing that much on a song/CD. Tankian's one of the best voices in rock today and you're cutting him out? Bad move.

Self-titled is some of my favorite angry music 8)
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

mussa

he does have a very unique voice, which makes it stand out. saying its one of the best in rock today is not so true
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Munson

Honestly, who out there in todays pool of crap is better/has the same range?

Cornell has great range. Grohl's voice is pretty awesome....Most of the other guys out there don't have much range at all. Thom Yorke is good but he can't scream like the other guys can. Plus Radiohead is almost a completely different style.

The selection pool for singing voices in todays rock/hard rock scene is not good. There are some guys from the "punk" genre that have good voices but that's a whole different type of music.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Dillen

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on February 23, 2008, 03:19:00 PM
Paper Planes is a bad ass song
A buddy of mine told me about that song. No idea who the girl is and never heard of her before but you're right, it's awesome.

As far as voices and all that shtein, Jahred Shane of (hed) pe is ridiculous. Some of their songs are a complete 180 from each other. You'd never be able to tell it's the same band unless. Dude is like 46 years old too.

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: Dillen on February 24, 2008, 09:45:11 PM
Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on February 23, 2008, 03:19:00 PM
Paper Planes is a bad ass song
A buddy of mine told me about that song. No idea who the girl is and never heard of her before but you're right, it's awesome.

As far as voices and all that shtein, Jahred Shane of (hed) pe is ridiculous. Some of their songs are a complete 180 from each other. You'd never be able to tell it's the same band unless. Dude is like 46 years old too.

Paper Planes should be the Gang Anthem of the BrombreteField Bloods

and for those wondering what the hell this is...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7sei-eEjy4g
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

mussa

Quote from: Munson on February 24, 2008, 02:51:23 PM
Honestly, who out there in todays pool of crap is better/has the same range?

Cornell has great range. Grohl's voice is pretty awesome....Most of the other guys out there don't have much range at all. Thom Yorke is good but he can't scream like the other guys can. Plus Radiohead is almost a completely different style.

The selection pool for singing voices in todays rock/hard rock scene is not good. There are some guys from the "punk" genre that have good voices but that's a whole different type of music.

How about Maynard James Keenan from TOOL, APC and Pusicfer. He can hit them all. Plus his voice is unique and very good. Serj doesn't have a good voice, he has a unique voice unlike many and somehow works. By no means is it a good voice though, your kidding yourself. Dave Grohl does not have a good voice, jesus. I agree Cornell has always had a good voice, I put him and Maynard at the top. Eddie Vedder has a great voice and great range. Ben Harper, Lenny Kravitz...Caleb Followil of Kings of Leon...another unique but awesome voice. Another example of a Serj type voice is Layne Stanly from Alice in Chains. Not a good voice, but was so unique and gripping and totally fit the lyrics. Not traditionally known as a great voice otherwise. Still just as awesome.

mussa

new NIN instrumental album out for cheap. direct downloads. or other cool packages. listened to it all day yesterday and today at work...pretty cool

http://ghosts.nin.com/

got me pumped for NIN, i can't wait to see them live again. fargin great live performance. i can listen to downward spiral for days straight

Diomedes

Seabiscuit36

i just started downloading Sharpshooters-Choked Up.  I heard Analyze on the Wire a while ago, and had looked for it.  Finally finding it on the Wire cd makes me happy as hell

Diomedes