What are you listening to?

Started by MURP, September 17, 2004, 12:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quasimoto

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Seabiscuit36

Kutmasta Kurt- Redneck Olympics  :yay
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

SD_Eagle5

IGN ranks the top 25 punk albums of all time. Aside from myself and rjs I don't know if there are many fans of punk here.

Not a bad list, can't say I totally agree with all their selections but they did use a wide variety of bands spanning 3 decades.

rjs246

Two SERIOUS problems with that list.

Green Day is on it.
Fugazi is not. = travesty. Margin Walker (or the dual album, 13 Songs) should be a no-brainer top-10.

Good to see Bad Brains and Minor Threat, but come on, no Fugazi? farging terrible.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

SD_Eagle5

I had the same problem, primarily with GD being on the list. Dookie really wasn't a bad album, not my cup of tea, but it was considered 'Punk' at the time it was released. Of course now when I think of them I think of all the annoying wannabe punk bands that followed their lead. What's worse is the new generation of kids who think they're punk because they listen to that shtein.
I thought Fugazi would be top 5 at the very least, maybe they felt they justified it by putting Minor Threat on there.

Did you see the HM list:
QuoteThe Damned - Damned Damned Damned
Siouxie & The Banshees - The Scream
The Germs - (GI)
Circle Jerks - Group Sex (thought they should have made it, but I'm biased in my opinion)
Fear - The Record
Fishbone - Fishbone
Red Hot Chili Peppers - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
TSOL - Dance With Me
Rancid - ...And Out Come The Wolves
Grinspoon - Guide to Better Living
Bodyjar - Plastic Skies
Blatz/Filth - Split LP
The Queers - Beat Off
X-Ray Spex - Germ Free Adolescent
The Decline Of Western Civilization Soundtrack
Leftöver Crack - Mediocre Generica
H20 - H20
Storm Troopers of Death - Speak English or Die
Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come
East West Blast Test - Popular Music for Unpopular People
The Nation of Ulysses - 13-Point Program to Destroy America
Murder City Devils - In Name and Blood
Johnny Thunders - So Alone

rjs246

The Circle Jerks, Fishbone, The Germs and a few others are worthy of a higher ranking. Wasn't really thrilled with the Ramones taking the top spot either. To me punk rock is loud and not really overly melodic (Bad Brains, Dead Kennedys) and the Ramones were the first sort of radio friendly punk, which is kind of weak.

Let them eat bootstraps.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: rjs246 on January 31, 2007, 11:45:54 PM
The Circle Jerks, Fishbone, The Germs and a few others are worthy of a higher ranking. Wasn't really thrilled with the Ramones taking the top spot either. To me punk rock is loud and not really overly melodic (Bad Brains, Dead Kennedys) and the Ramones were the first sort of radio friendly punk, which is kind of weak.
I've said that a million times but have never found anyone who agreed with me. (not in those exact words). I cringe every time I hear someone say The Ramones were the founders of Punk. To this day I don't think of 'The Clash' as punk.
Circle Jerks put on one of the best live shows I ever saw, which is why I am partial towards them. Thought Unknown Road or Full Circle from Pennywise should have made the list.

rjs246

Pennywise is borderline in my opinion. They were pretty radio friendly themselves, but they could certainly blow your speakers out.

Let them eat bootstraps.

mussa

Fugazi needs to be on there. No Descendants!  :boo
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: mussa on February 01, 2007, 12:13:35 AM
No Descendants!  :boo
They were #21

Quote from: rjs246 on February 01, 2007, 12:10:28 AM
Pennywise is borderline in my opinion. They were pretty radio friendly themselves, but they could certainly blow your speakers out.
Heard a couple of their songs on the radio when I lived in So Cal, but not often. Can't ever remember hearing them played on the East Coast. Never really liked them much until I saw them at the Warped Tour in 97.

Munson

Green Day isn't punk, but they are gods of "real" Pop-Punk. The problem is Pop-Punk gets a bad name from all the crap MTV tries to push as "pop-punk". Good Charolettgay isn't pop punk...it's pop, with guitars.

Punk is about being loud and noisy, rock the farg out on 3 chords, and screw the system.
Pop-Punk takes those same 3 chords, rocks out on them, but is more about melodies and lyrics (sometimes more heart-felt lyrics) then traditional punk is. Catchyness and such.
Bands like Good Charolette, and Sum41, bullshtein like that, go WAY too pop to have the word "punk" considered to describe them. But thank you MTV for creating a whole generation of Romes who think they are punk because they put on some black clothes and listen to those chodes.

Blink182 is kind of hard to describe, they seem(ed) to hover between being pop-punk and just being plain pop. THey probably broke up at the right time.

Without them around, Green Day still probably reigns as the pop-punk kings as far as how mainstream they are. Even though Ameriican Idiot was more of a rock album then a punk/pop-punk album.

Alkaline Trio, my personal favorites, are a pretty good example of Chicago Pop-Punk. Thier older albums were more punk, while lately they're a lot more pop-punk, with something else thrown in. Unfortunately, you can thank thier look and schtick for the accident that is My Chemical Romance. Still, good music, and most of what these guys name as influences in thier musical lives on that IGN list, especially The Misfits and The Damned as far as thier  look goes (dark, moody). I think even some of the names on that list are more "pop-punk" then they are punk. Descendants maybe fit that mold. Maybe.

But bands like Teenage Bottlerocket, The Vandels, shtein like that....It's not real, true punk....but it is what real pop-punk is. Pop-punk is a good genre if it's being done right. The roots of punk with some actual variety and talent in the music and lyrics. Well, sometimes talent....sometimes just annoying.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Diomedes

I don't understand how they could leave the Circle Jerks or Fugazi off the top 25 list.  And how could they overlook these bands for their honorable mentions?

Poison Idea
Wire
Mission of Burma
Lungfish
Patti Smith
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

At least the Descendants were in there somewhere.

:-\

BTW: I was shocked to see Husker Du on that list.  I think they were "punk" although I doubt many punk snobs would agree.

Quote19. Husker Du - New Day Rising (SST Records, 1985)

Minneapolis bred power trio Husker Du (Grant Hart, Bob Mould, and Greg Norton) are one of those band who straddle the genre divide. While in large part they probably are not considered Punk, like other bands of the time (Minutemen, Meat Puppets, for example) they began experimenting with pushing the boundaries of the genre and eventually broke free from its often constraining boundaries. Both Mould and Hart penned some incredibly catchy pop tunes, then proceeded to bury them deep under a rusting blitz of guitar shards and pummeling rhythms. Never mind that both would screech, wail, and growl on the vocal tip, as well. While earlier albums were indeed a bit more Punk, per se, this is the album where they began to formulate their more abrasive pop semantics into a fuller, richer sound and eventually veer away from the minimalism of Punk altogether.

Great farging band.

Also - leaving Fugazi off that list is a joke.   :-D

Diomedes

Punk snobs worship Hüsker Dü.