What are you listening to?

Started by MURP, September 17, 2004, 12:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanshin

Quote from: Diomedes on January 24, 2007, 03:20:49 PM
You and Demon have no shame.  It's embarrassing.

I don't disagree.  But I'm also not sure what you mean...unless it's the usual, "I can't believe your breeding again" stuff; in which case, I more surprised than you-- personally, I think Santa did it.  If it wasn't that, I must have missed another thread with you and Demon.

Diomedes

Quote from: PhillyPhaninDC on January 24, 2007, 04:10:40 PM
Quote from: Diomedes on January 20, 2007, 10:41:22 AM
Just ripped Tool's Opiate from a friend's library.  Unfortunately, that's all he had.  But it's a start.
Duh. Gosh.

OHHH!  That.  I thought you meant a band named Opiate.   I'm a dumbass.   
Yeah, I dig it.  It's one of those...'how did I miss this band?' things.  I've got a kid at work bringing in their other albums for me to rip.  I'll be listening to a lot of Tool after that, I reckon.  I'm not so big on the vocals--perhaps they'll grow on me--but the music is excellent.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Diomedes

Quote from: Zanshin on January 24, 2007, 04:13:56 PMI don't disagree.  But I'm also not sure what you mean...unless it's the usual, "I can't believe your breeding again" stuff; in which case, I more surprised than you-- personally, I think Santa did it.  If it wasn't that, I must have missed another thread with you and Demon.

The latter.  Demon also made an exceptionally bad joke today, when he was talking about catching one of his son's fugitive mice.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: Diomedes on January 24, 2007, 04:27:45 PM
OHHH!  That.  I thought you meant a band named Opiate.   I'm a dumbass.  
Yeah, I dig it.  It's one of those...'how did I miss this band?' things.  I've got a kid at work bringing in their other albums for me to rip.  I'll be listening to a lot of Tool after that, I reckon.  I'm not so big on the vocals--perhaps they'll grow on me--but the music is excellent.

Opiate was really the first studio album, the lyrics hadn't really caught up with the sound yet. Undertow, the second album, to me, is really where it all came together. It's amazing to me that a person with views such as your's wouldn't have heard of this band. Especially with lyrics like this (Aenema):

Some say the end is near
Some say we'll see armageddeon soon.
I certainly hope we will.
I sure could use a vacation from this
Bullshtein three ring circus sideshow of
Freaks

Here in this hopeless farging hole we call LA
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
Any farging time. Any farging day.
Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay.

Fret for your figure and
Fret for your latte and
Fret for you hairpiece and
Fret for your lawsuit and
Fret for your prozac and
Fret for your pilot and
Fret for your contract and
Fret for your car

It's a bullshtein three ring circus sideshow of
Freaks

Here in this hopeless farging hole we call LA
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away
Any farging time. Any farging day.
Learn to swin, I'll see you down in Arizona bay.

Some say a comet will fall from the sky.
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.
Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipshteins

Some say the end is near.
Some say we'll see armageddeon soon.
I certainly hope we will cuz
I sure could use a vacation from this
Silly shtein......stupid shtein.......

One great big festering neon distraction.
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.

Learn to swim

Mom's gonna fix it all soon.
Mom's coming round to put it back the way it ought to be.

Learn to swim

farg L Ron Hubbard and
farg all his clones
farg all these gun-toting
hip gangsta wannabes.

Learn to swim

farg retro anything
farg your tattoos
farg all you junkies and
farg your short memory

Learn to swim

farg smiley glad-hands
with hidden agendas.
farg these dysfunctional,
insecure actresses

Learn to swim

Cuz I'm praying for rain
I'm praying for tidal waves
I wanna see the ground give way
I wanna watch it all go down
Mom please flush it all away
I wanna watch it go right in and down
I wanna watch it go right in
Watch you flush it all away

Time to bring it down again.
Don't just call me pessimist
Try and read between the lines

I can't imagine why you wouldn't
welcome any change my friend

I wanna see it all come down
suck it down
Flush it down.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

SD_Eagle5

I'm not so big on the vocals--perhaps they'll grow on me--but the music is excellent.

Maynard's vocals got better with time. Opiate was early 90's

Diomedes

Quote from: PhillyPhaninDC on January 24, 2007, 04:32:12 PMOpiate was really the first Studio album, the lyrics hadn't really caught up with the sound yet. Aenema, to me, is really where it all came together. It's amazing to me that a person with views such as your's wouldn't have heard of this band.

The lyrics are alright, and as your post shows, they obviously get better than what I've heard so far.  It's the actual vocals I'm not in love with.  But whatever...an obviously good band that I want to hear more of...and how I missed them, I dunno.

I've got a pretty broad footprint of tastes and a big, growing music catalog, but I suppose I'm bound to miss some things.  Like I said, FS64 introduced me to an album last year that I had never heard before, which was made in '72 by artists I have known and enjoyed for years, but somehow I missed it.  It has become one of my all time favorites.

PhillyPhanInDC

I'd put Maynard up there with the top ten rock vocalists of all time. He is also a pretty amazing song writer. His voice is a lot like Freddie Mercury's was, the dude could sing opera if he wanted, but at the same time can deliver some pretty vicseral vocals. Also, if you've never heard of A Perfect Circle, you should definately add it to your list of things to get. Maynard does the vocals and writing for the band, which is decidely more mellow  than TOOL, but still packs plenty of emotion into the songs. One of the songs they did, Judith, has always been a favorite of mine:

You're such an inspiration for the ways
That I'll never ever choose to be
Oh so many ways for me to show you
How the savior has abandoned you
farg your God
Your Lord and your Christ
He did this
Took all you had and
Left you this way
Still you pray, you never stray
Never taste of the fruit
You never thought to question why

It's not like you killed someone
It's not like you drove a hateful spear into his side
Praise the one who left you
Broken down and paralyzed
He did it all for you
He did it all for you

Oh so many many ways for me to show you
How your dogma has abandoned you
Pray to your Christ, to your god
Never taste of the fruit
Never stray, never break
Never---choke on a lie
Even though he's the one who did this to you
You never thought to question why

Not like you killed someone
It's Not like you drove a spiteful spear into his side
Talk to Jesus Christ
As if he knows the reasons why
He did it all for you
Did it all for you
He did it all for you
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

mussa

Quote from: SD_Eagle on January 24, 2007, 04:33:48 PM
  I'm not so big on the vocals--perhaps they'll grow on me--but the music is excellent.

Yea vocally and lyrically TOOL has progressed alot since Opiate/Undertow days. PPDC, did you know opiate and undertow were recorded at the same time
?
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: mussa on January 24, 2007, 04:45:23 PM
Quote from: SD_Eagle on January 24, 2007, 04:33:48 PM

Yea vocally and lyrically TOOL has progressed alot since Opiate/Undertow days. PPDC, did you know opiate and undertow were recorded at the same time
?

News to me. They sound completely different though.

Dio, another thing I forgot to mention is the TOOL videos. Something to be seen for sure. Here is the video for Anema:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdEtjYQyIvg

Schism

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4K6HBIStS0

Quasimoto

Quasimoto - The Further Adventures Of Lord Quas

Quasimoto

Belle and Sebastian - The Life Pursuit

Tomahawk

The Pissed Midgets - The Midgets Are Coming

Next up on the playlist: The Misfits

Wingspan

Quote from: Quasimoto on January 25, 2007, 11:42:19 AM

That should be in the Men Should Act Like Men, thread.

As well as what I am currently listening to...which is Jack Johnson.

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Seabiscuit36

Danger Doom..The Mouse and the Mask
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Quasimoto

Quote from: Wingspan on January 25, 2007, 11:57:09 AM
Quote from: Quasimoto on January 25, 2007, 11:42:19 AM

That should be in the Men Should Act Like Men, thread.

As well as what I am currently listening to...which is Jack Johnson.

:-D   :'(