What are you listening to?

Started by MURP, September 17, 2004, 12:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mussa

Rome,

Yo Wolfmother is touring now. Might be able to check them out. I know they are in philly next week.  I might go.
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Diomedes on May 25, 2006, 02:57:22 PM
All hail Frank Zappa!

Zappa on Crossfire, circa '84.  Worth the time to watch.  Lofton is a real scumbag.

I actually remember watching that as a kid.  I was about 10 and had no clue what it was really about.  The only reason I even watched it in the first place is because Frank Zappa looked like one of my uncles and at first I thought that's who it was. 

Diomedes

I admire the hell out of Zappa.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Diomedes on May 25, 2006, 08:54:27 PM
I admire the hell out of Zappa.

I do too after seeing it for the second time.  And I definately would have beat the living crap out of Lofton.  "I love it when you froth like that."  :-D  Classic. 

Rome

Listening to "Wave of Mutilation - The Best of The Pixies" right now.

Kick-ass CD for late nighters like this one.   :yay

PS: Re - the Zappa thing... does anyone else remember him on Saturday Night Live with the Coneheads?  One of the funniest skits I've ever seen.  I can't wrap my brain around the amounts of cocaine that got snorted during that week.

Diomedes

You're a blow fan.  We get it.  Zappa was not.  But you knew that.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

Quote from: Diomedes on May 25, 2006, 10:09:01 PM
You're a blow fan.  We get it.  Zappa was not.  But you knew that.

I meant the cast, Dio, not necessarily Zappa himself.

And I can't believe he wasn't heavily medicated during that show.  If you ever catch it, you'll see what I mean.

And didn't he write "Cocaine Decisions" in part because of what happened to Belushi?  I think I remember hearing something about that.

mcnabbmvp

when i'm in my car the new TOOL album. awesome. and after work dabums on xm radio.
"One thing in the NFL, it's not the team with the best players (that wins). It's the team that plays the best as a team." - Corey Simon,DT EAGLES

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on May 25, 2006, 11:20:49 PMAnd I can't believe he wasn't heavily medicated during that show.  If you ever catch it, you'll see what I mean.

I'll have check that out. But Frank was definitely an anti-drug guy. So it's probably just his usual unusualness coming through in the skit.

In honor of the topic, I'm going through my Shut Up 'N Play Your Guitar double CD, start to finish. Then maybe I'll jump into Sheik Yerbouti.

Two performers I really miss are Frank and Michael Hedges.

Diomedes

I'm no Zappa scholar, so perhaps I'm mistaken, but my impression was that Zappa wasn't exactly anti-drug.  That is, he didn't get into your shtein if you liked getting high.  He just didn't do it himself, and he didn't have much tolerance for the craziness that drug heads trail behind them. 

Susquehanna Birder

I'd say he was pretty much tolerant of others, unless they were working with him. He was definitely (and strictly) anti drug and alcohol with anybody he collaborated with.

I saw a BBC interview with him once, and he was asked how he could take that stand considering how much he smoked. He response was that to him cigarettes weren't a drug...they were food.   :paranoid

Diomedes

I know for a fact that Ike Willis did a lot of coke--I've actually partied with him--not to mention other drugs. 

mussa

Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on May 26, 2006, 10:30:09 AM
I'd say he was pretty much tolerant of others, unless they were working with him. He was definitely (and strictly) anti drug and alcohol with anybody he collaborated with.

I saw a BBC interview with him once, and he was asked how he could take that stand considering how much he smoked. He response was that to him cigarettes weren't a drug...they were food.   :paranoid

:-D :-D :-D :-D

watching the video now. its fargin hilarious.
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: Diomedes on May 26, 2006, 10:41:01 AM
I know for a fact that Ike Willis did a lot of coke--I've actually partied with him--not to mention other drugs. 

All I can say is that's what I've read, and what I've heard from Frank. I don't doubt that some of his collaborators didn't totally respect his wishes. He did have quite a love-hate relationship with a lot of them.

Diomedes

It's clear that Frank himself didn't partake, and I also know he didn't brook any stupid drug related behaviour.  But by the same token, he was no narc.  Ike could snort blow on his own time all he wanted, was Franks atttitude I think.

Farg, what do I know?