What are you listening to?

Started by MURP, September 17, 2004, 12:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Zanshin

Truth in advertising: I'm trolling for a few YouTube hits. I mean what better place to get a few than a sports message board with a few regulars, right? But it makes the kid happy, so I'll post it.

Kid's been playing out with a band, and had a good time playing some improv blues last night. If you want to take a look, that would be great. If not, totally get it ;-).

https://youtu.be/QlUay93kKE4?t=1m47s

PhillyPhreak54

Excellent! He's pretty damn talented. Hopefully he keeps it up because he's on pace to be outstanding.

Zanshin

He'll appreciate that. He's pretty entrenched and having a great time right now, which is good. And he's making money, which is super cool for him. I'll support anything that gives him even a slim chance to do something he enjoys outside of a cubicle ;-).

Not sure if I said this, but the kid picked up the guitar a little less than two years ago, and learned on YouTube and Skype for the first year and a half. Then he played with this band and really hit it off with the other guitar guy, who's the lead guitarist for Blood, Sweat and Tears. So now that guy, who's flat out awesome, is giving him lessons.

The beauty of being 10 is that anything in the world is possible, right?

Geowhizzer

Pretty amazing for a 10 year old.  Good stuff.   :yay

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Zanshin on April 02, 2015, 03:48:23 PM
He'll appreciate that. He's pretty entrenched and having a great time right now, which is good. And he's making money, which is super cool for him. I'll support anything that gives him even a slim chance to do something he enjoys outside of a cubicle ;-).

Not sure if I said this, but the kid picked up the guitar a little less than two years ago, and learned on YouTube and Skype for the first year and a half. Then he played with this band and really hit it off with the other guitar guy, who's the lead guitarist for Blood, Sweat and Tears. So now that guy, who's flat out awesome, is giving him lessons.

The beauty of being 10 is that anything in the world is possible, right?

Yeah man that is awesome - he's a helluva quick learner. And you're right on if he can avoid the cubicle life more power to him! If he keeps this up he'll have no problem picking up good money gigs

Zanshin

For the record, I'm not talking him up as some great thing. He's got a ton to learn and I don't know a thing about it. But if he can make a few bucks over the summers doing something he likes, I'm on board. Just a cool skill he can carry with him no matter what he does.

He likes seeing the youtube hits go up and new subscribers for the channel, and I like to see him happy...so I share. I'm definitely proud of the kid for putting himself out there, but I'm under no illusions about his skill level at this point.

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Other than Petty what other guitarists does he like to listen to?

Zanshin

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on April 02, 2015, 10:27:31 PM
Other than Petty what other guitarists does he like to listen to?

Clapton, SRV, Harrison, Jonny Lang, BB King, Billy Gibbons. Page, some of Mayer's bluesy stuff, Albert King, JJ Cale. That sort of thing. He finds guys based on YouTube suggestions of what he's listening to and goes from there.

PhillyPhreak54

Nice range there.

Has he listened to any Hendrix?

Zanshin

He has, but he learns a lot of songs by watching, and Hendrix is tough because of the lefty guitar thing.