Falcons cut blocking in question again

Started by MURP, August 23, 2005, 11:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MURP

Alex Gibbs techniques complained about once again.

QuoteCut it out:Titans rip cut blocks
Fisher files complaint to NFL about Falcons

By STEVE WYCHE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 08/23/05

Flowery Branch — Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher filed a formal complaint with the NFL on Monday claiming that some Falcons players violated rules by illegally cut-blocking defenders' legs in the Titans' 24-21 exhibition victory Friday, the NFL confirmed.

"He has filed a complaint, and we are looking into it," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said.

Fisher called the league office, where his concerns were noted then passed along to Gene Washington, the NFL's director of operations. If Washington feels discipline is in order, it will be levied by the end of this week, Aiello said.

Fisher cited unidentified, specific plays but did not make a sweeping indictment of the Falcons' practice of cut blocking — blocking a defender below his waist — along the line of scrimmage, Aiello said. Cut blocks are legal if the offensive player is within the tackle-to-tackle "box" and he blocks a forward-charging defender in the front of his body, not from the side.

No penalties for illegal cut blocks were called against the Falcons in the game.

"I've been around a lot of preseason games and never seen some of the things I saw out of their offensive line," Fisher told The Tennessean newspaper. "There are a couple things where player safety was really brought into question, and I want to make sure the league is aware of it."

Falcons coach Jim Mora, whom Fisher absolved of responsibility in his remarks to the Tennessean, was not aware of Fisher's complaint, but defended his team's blocking schemes, which include a heavy dose of cut-blocking.

"We play within the rules," Mora said. "Yes, we cut, but we emphasize and teach fair play. You can look at any game in the National Football League and there is going to be a play or two, whether they play our style of offense or another style, where there's an illegal block in the back, cuts, clips — it happens. We never, ever ask our guys to do anything illegal or to hurt anybody. We're not out to hurt anybody."

Alex Gibbs introduced the blocking scheme to the Falcons last season when he came from Denver to serve as offensive line coach. Gibbs is now a consultant to offensive line coach Jeff Jagodzinski, but remains actively involved in the day-to-day coaching of the offensive line.

With Denver, Gibbs's offensive line was regularly criticized for its quick-hitting, below-the-waist blocking techniques, which routinely produced 1,000-yard-plus rushers.

The Falcons led the NFL in rushing last season with 2,672 yards.

"I've sat in meetings with Alex and I've watched every installation he's done, and I've never, ever heard him talk about hurting a guy," Mora said. "He does not do that."

Fisher also said the Falcons were not called for holding as much as they should have.

"We forced a lot of hold situations," Fisher said. "Two or three were called and they could have called another five or six."

Falcons guard Kynan Forney took offense to Fisher's remarks.

"We only do what's legal," Forney said. "They tackle our backs, we're going to cut them. Nobody says anything when a running back gets tackled and they're holding him up and everybody is jumping on that pile.

"When we cut them, that's just how it goes. It's football. Whenever we cut block somebody, it's in front of them, it's legal.

"[The NFL] showed us a tape this year and we're doing what they showed us was legal. We're not taking any cheap shots. That's just people trying to find something to cry about. They're trying something to take away from what somebody does best, and that's one of the things we do well — cut-block people."

rjs246

I wish people would stop whining and crying about getting hit in a football game. Want to tackle someone by the collar? Fine. Want to block someone? Do it. It's farging tackle football for christ's sake.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Catapult

Something interesting about this...

The Falcons were cut blocking against the Eagles in the NFCCG.  But what I saw the Eagles do to the Falcons who did the cut blocks was rather interesting.

Anytime one of the Falcons engaged in a cut-block (there were at least 3 or 4 times they cut block in that game), I noticed the Eagles DTs and DEs they tried to knock down simply got slammed to the turf and the defensive man continued to his next target.  My guess is that the coaching staff took a long, hard look at that before the week and game-planned that in.

It also didn't help the Falcs that the Eagles defense moved a whole lot faster than anyone on the Falcons thought possible.
Please select your blitz package:  Zone, Darth, Mad Tiger, Train Wreck, Monster, Kitchen Sink, Jail Break, or Bench Press (new!)

PhillyPhreak54

Speaking of the Falcons...

Their game against the Jags is coming on ESPN right now. I have my barf bucket ready to go for the Theisman/Maguire slurp-fest on Vick. You know its coming.

rjs246

I love watching Vick scramble in the preseason. I hope someone breaks his skull.

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: rjs246 on August 25, 2005, 08:25:11 PM
I love watching Vick scramble in the preseason. I hope someone breaks his skull.

Ever since he broke his leg, he plays total bitch in the preseason, sliding, jumping out of bounds, throwing the ball away. Theisman and CO. and slurping more so than they do Farve.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

PhillyPhanInDC

Holy shtein......Matt Jones just made one the best catches I've ever seen.  :o
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

rjs246

Yeah but did you see him on the play before that? Watching him run his routes makes my eyes bleed. TONS of talent, but jesus he's raw. Now they're talking about how he gets tired from all the running. Yeesh, work in progress.

Let them eat bootstraps.

shorebird

Quote from: PhillyPhaninDC on August 25, 2005, 08:50:50 PM
Holy shtein......Matt Jones just made one the best catches I've ever seen. :o

That was one hell of a catch! If he can pull them in like that, he's worth whatever they have to do to teach him.

rjs246

I just reread my post and I sound like a pompous shtein.

Let me try again...

Did you see him on the play before? He ran his route and looked like Phoebe from friends running through Central Park. It was ugly.

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyPhanInDC

At times he does look lost, but then again, this is his FIRST year ever playing WR......he's got buttloads of talent though. Should be a monster one day.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: rjs246 on August 25, 2005, 08:59:35 PM
I just reread my post and I sound like a pompous shtein.

Let me try again...

Did you see him on the play before? He ran his route and looked like Phoebe from friends running through Central Park. It was ugly.
'

rjs, you just became one of my favorite posters with that Phoebe comment. I was actually AT the taping of that episode (when I lived in LA) and its one of my favorites. LOL
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PhillyGirl

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 25, 2005, 08:02:01 PM

Their game against the Jags is coming on ESPN right now. I have my barf bucket ready to go for the Theisman/Maguire slurp-fest on Vick. You know its coming.

Phreak, after you said that, I turned on the TV. For FIVE straight minutes, all I heard was the 2 of them talk about Vick. The funniest was when they showed his stats over Douglass and Randall and how he rushed for more than both of them. Breakaleg then proceeded to say he wouldn't have to run like that this year because his super-duper QB skills would be in effect. Vick promptly ran 2 times in a row after he said that. I giggled.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: PhillyGirl on August 26, 2005, 07:53:17 AM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 25, 2005, 08:02:01 PM

Phreak, after you said that, I turned on the TV. For FIVE straight minutes, all I heard was the 2 of them talk about Vick. The funniest was when they showed his stats over Douglass and Randall and how he rushed for more than both of them. Breakaleg then proceeded to say he wouldn't have to run like that this year because his super-duper QB skills would be in effect. Vick promptly ran 2 times in a row after he said that. I giggled.

Vick really lit up the Jaguars last night. 5-10 for 44 yards, and 4 rushes for 30 yards, 1 TD.  ::) The kid they drafted from Virginia, Schaub, looked like a much better quarterback, better presence, better accuracy, touch, and smarts. They interviewed Vick on the sidelines like four times, while Leftwich, who had a great night, wasn't interviewed at all. Thiesman was talking about how with Warrick Dunn, Duckett, and Vick in the backfield, it's impossible to make them one dimensional. Guess they missed the entire NFCCG.

rjs246

Quote from: PhillyGirl on August 26, 2005, 07:51:45 AM
rjs, you just became one of my favorite posters with that Phoebe comment. I was actually AT the taping of that episode (when I lived in LA) and its one of my favorites. LOL

Oh god! I take it all back!

Let them eat bootstraps.