The 'Mass-Shooting In The US' thread

Started by Father Demon, February 14, 2008, 05:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillymic2000

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/report_cia_aware_ft_hood_shooter_LjsDA0q4t3i0Yfyi4svk9M

QuoteArmy massacre fiend Nidal Malik Hasan reportedly tried to make contact with al Qaeda terrorists, something intelligence agencies were aware of months ago.

It is not known whether the intelligence agencies informed the Army that Maj. Hasan, an Army shrink, was seeking to connect with suspected terrorists, ABC News reported today on its Web site.

shorebird

This is looking more and more like it could have been prevented.

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

fansince61

Quote from: shorebird on November 11, 2009, 11:25:18 AM
This is looking more and more like it could have been prevented.

"political correctness" strikes again.  To many intelligence workers protecting their pensions instead of their country

Sgt PSN

intel community has a tough job.  if they act on every potential red flag they see, they'll look stupid more often than not and will be accused of spreading uneccessary fear and panic along with wasting fed tax dollars, fear mongering, violating the constitution, etc, etc, etc. 

on the other hand, when they don't act and something like this comes up, we look at them and wonder wtf are they doing? 

it's a double edged sword and anything less than 100% success is going to make them look incompetent even though 100% is not attainable.  it's also a harsh reality, but the loss of a dozen american lives is probably not considered a failure in they eyes of the intel community, only in the eyes of the public.  as long as intel is holding off the major attacks that target american property or a large # of people (ie 9/11), that is their main concern.  a dozen dead people in texas really doesn't concern them very much. 

sad.  but true. 

fansince61

In war, indecision kills.  You have to be bias for your team ;)

Sgt PSN

nah, actually i don't care for the intel community that much at all.  i think the practice of spying on other countries or your own country is childish and unethical.  world leaders need to grow the farg up and stay out of each others business.  and my own government definitely needs to the farg out of my personal life.  but that just because i don't agree with having them around doesn't mean that their job isn't difficult. 

Eagaholic

Quote from: Sgt PSN on November 12, 2009, 12:59:23 PM
intel community has a tough job.  if they act on every potential red flag they see, they'll look stupid more often than not and will be accused of spreading uneccessary fear and panic along with wasting fed tax dollars, fear mongering, violating the constitution, etc, etc, etc.  

on the other hand, when they don't act and something like this comes up, we look at them and wonder wtf are they doing?  

it's a double edged sword and anything less than 100% success is going to make them look incompetent even though 100% is not attainable.  it's also a harsh reality, but the loss of a dozen american lives is probably not considered a failure in they eyes of the intel community, only in the eyes of the public.  as long as intel is holding off the major attacks that target american property or a large # of people (ie 9/11), that is their main concern.  a dozen dead people in texas really doesn't concern them very much.  

sad.  but true.  

But also, if military intelligence can't catch everything there is always Dept of Homeland Security to pick up the ball

Drunkmasterflex

I just found out that 6 of the victims from the shooting were part of my original battalion.  Most everybody I know from that unit is gone, but it is crazy to hear. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Drunkmasterflex

Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

shorebird

Getting even uglier. link

QuoteLevin also said he considers Hasan's shooting spree, which killed 13 and wounded more than 30, an act of terrorism.

"There are some who are reluctant to call it terrorism but there is significant evidence that is. I'm not at all uneasy saying it sure looks like that," he said.

Sgt PSN

of course it's an act of terrorism.  so is some jesus lover bombing an abortion clinic.  the word terrorism has such a broad meaning that it's actually disturbing how many people only use it when muslims be killing white people. 

but i get what the article is saying.  muslim+contacted al queda+mass shooting of soldiers and families=terrorist. 

i would just like to see the talking heads at the top of our government actually use the proper terminology. 

Susquehanna Birder

I wouldn't mind if they blew past the "terrorism" label, and just called it what it was: fundamentalist Muslim behavior.

Diomedes

so long as we agree to call abortion clinic bombings fundamentalist christian behavior, sounds good to me.

don't know what you'd call Timothy McVeigh or the Unibomber
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger