2011 College Football Thread

Started by DH, May 30, 2011, 09:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

so you have no problem with coaches, administrators and other suit and tie motherfargers abusing the system and profiting off the hard work of other people while the people actually doing the labor get nothing? 

the system didnt break until your fat ass needed to watch every farging college football game on saturday. you want this product, youll pay for it and the money you pay is going into the wrong hands. but farg them idiots if they cant see the value of a good LSU edumacation amiright?
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

when did rush limbaugh join the board?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

Quote from: MDS on May 31, 2011, 07:20:03 PM
so you have no problem with coaches, administrators and other suit and tie motherfargers abusing the system and profiting off the hard work of other people while the people actually doing the labor get nothing? 

the system didnt break until your fat ass needed to watch every farging college football game on saturday. you want this product, youll pay for it and the money you pay is going into the wrong hands. but farg them idiots if they cant see the value of a good LSU edumacation amiright?

they get a college education.

although, you got a college education and you're an ignoramus of galactic proportions, so in this rare instance, i find myself agreeing with you even though every point you attempted to make is pure bullshtein.

well done, stupid.  you've entertained me for once.

Diomedes

When did scholarships become payments?

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

The moment they sign the scholarship agreements.

And FTR, I'm all for providing college athletes with stipends.  Hell, if an equitable system of payment could be established for all student athletes (not just the revenue producers) I'd be all for that as well.

That said, equating a student athlete scholarship with slavery is outlandishly hyperbolic and insulting to the institutions who provide them, even for these two buffoons.

MDS

Quote from: Rome on May 31, 2011, 08:18:24 PM

although, you got a college education and you're an ignoramus of galactic proportions, so in this rare instance, i find myself agreeing with you even though every point you attempted to make is pure bullshtein.

going down like a stubborn republican, i like it

look, old man. i dont know how to explain this any clearer: a college education is not a sufficient payment for many of the kids who are given it because socially and mentally they are not capable of processing the information. they are under educated and under prepared and being thrown into upper level classrooms and higher education isnt going to make things work.

to ignorantly say "take you education, young poor black child and entertain me with your athletic prowess" is about as close to indentured servitude as it gets. to not recognize is...well, you.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

not to mention the players that produce the most money are the least likely to finish their four years

but im sure we should all applaud the ncaa and the college presidents for diggin deep down into the bottom of their heart and offering these poor souls a college degree...because thats what its all about....definitely not the billions of dollars these kids are putting in their pockets

Sgt PSN

You've been in Mexico for so long that you must have forgot that that is exactly how every major business in this country works. 

I'm not saying it's acceptable, but if I'm going to argue on someone's behalf, it's going to be the American worker who spends 40 years working in a cell/cubicle for a meager salary while the execs get caked off with multi-million dollar bonuses, not some athlete who has to suck it up for a couple of years in college before he gets to sign his multi-million dollar contract. 

But like Rome said....if they can come up with a system that gives student-athletes some sort of stipend, then I'd be all for it.  Since these kids aren't allowed to get jobs, then the schools should do something to make sure they've got a little pocket change from week to week. 

Oh, so this is a new problem that's only been around for the last 10-15 years.  That's good to know. 

Diomedes

Quote from: Rome on May 31, 2011, 08:30:47 PM
The moment they sign the scholarship agreements.

Are math genius scholarships to be considered payment as well?

If scholarships are payments, shouldn't students be taxed on the value of the benefit? 

If a scholarship is a payment, then the only amateur players on the team are the ones who don't get scholarships.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MDS

im not sure of the exact time frame because smu and all those schools were going nuts in the 70s, but it was around the 80s or early 90s when the money really started rolling into these conferences because they started controlling how they were distributed, not the ncaa.

that made recruiting a nationwide battle, not a local one. it escalated coaches salary to the point where mack brown is the highest state-paid employee in texas (even though his actual salary is covered by boosters). it gave bowl games company tie ins so the money is just flowing everywhere to everyone to except for the players. when you take a step back and realize how much it is and how much hinges on these programs continuing to win and how little these kids get out of it, its insane.

not saying it's acceptable, but if I'm going to argue on someone's behalf, it's going to be the American worker who spends 40 years working in a cell/cubicle for a meager salary while the execs get caked off with multi-million dollar bonuses, not some athlete who has to suck it up for a couple of years in college before he gets to sign his multi-million dollar contract

this whole thing isnt about that athlete, really. no one was crying from tebow or cam newton, guys who were gonna get caked in the nfl. its the guys who arent good enough to get drafted and the guys who at best get 1-2 years of nfl service at the minimum before they are finished. those guys get nothing out of the deal. and that is the majority of basketball and football players.

come on, join the revolution sassy. itll be fun.

Sgt PSN

Like I said....I'm all for a stipend.  As for the guys who aren't going to sign big $ contracts, they may want to consider hitting the books a little harder. 

ice grillin you

what they oughta do is have different levels of stipends or whatever you wanna call it

each school gets x amount of grade I stipends that pay the most money then grade II then grade III then even a no pay slot

let the coaches determine who fits into what slots

MDS

Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 31, 2011, 09:27:43 PM
Like I said....I'm all for a stipend.  As for the guys who aren't going to sign big $ contracts, they may want to consider hitting the books a little harder. 

again, most of them these kids arent capable of that. they dont know how and were never taught how. so you can just say "study, work, do good" like youre mr. feeney or something.

@ igy

talk about a recipe for disaster. like players wont be fighting over who gets however much.

phillymic2000

Quote from: MDS on May 31, 2011, 08:35:08 PM
Quote from: Rome on May 31, 2011, 08:18:24 PM

going down like a stubborn republican, i like it

look, old man. i dont know how to explain this any clearer: a college education is not a sufficient payment for many of the kids who are given it because socially and mentally they are not capable of processing the information. they are under educated and under prepared and being thrown into upper level classrooms and higher education isnt going to make things work.

to ignorantly say "take you education, young poor black child and entertain me with your athletic prowess" is about as close to indentured servitude as it gets. to not recognize is...well, you.

So are the college's to blame? or the k-12 level? Maybe we should throw some of the blame on the enviroment where most of these athletes come from, since they are not prepared for college.

ice grillin you

players have no choice what they get the coach decides...you want more money play better....no different from any pro sport

the only negative would be that it may cause mass transfers of players who cant cut it at their current school trying to get to a lesser program to make more money...but that can easily be solved by saying anyone who transfers has their stipend frozen for two years