Yankees 2005 Season Thread

Started by hunt, April 08, 2005, 02:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

QuoteSteinbrenner Angry As Yanks Fall to 4-8

By DAVID GINSBURG, AP Sports Writer

BALTIMORE - George Steinbrenner is tired of waiting for his New York Yankees to get going. Now he's angry. Miguel Tejada hit his eighth career grand slam, and the Baltimore Orioles roughed up Kevin Brown and completed a three-game sweep of New York with an 8-4 victory Sunday. The last-place Yankees (4-8) have dropped four straight and eight of 10 overall.

"Enough is enough. I am bitterly disappointed as I'm sure all Yankee fans are by the lack of performance by our team," Steinbrenner said in a statement issued immediately after the game.

"It is unbelievable to me that the highest-paid team in baseball would start the season in such a deep funk. They are not playing like true Yankees. They have the talent to win and they are not winning. I expect Joe Torre, his complete coaching staff and the team to turn this around."

Melvin Mora also homered for the Orioles, who took a 6-0 lead in the second inning and coasted to their sixth win in seven games. Baltimore improved to 5-1 against New York this season after their first sweep of the Yankees since 2000.

Tejada went 3-for-4 with two doubles, raising his batting average to .375 and his AL-leading RBI total to 18. He went 6-for-12 with eight RBIs in the series.

Daniel Cabrera (1-1) gave up three runs and eight hits in six innings, and streaking Brian Roberts went 2-for-4 with a walk and scored a run. Roberts, who has a hit in all 12 games this season, is batting .449.

Ruben Sierra and Alex Rodriguez homered for the Yankees, whose four-game losing streak matches their longest skid of 2004. New York, which went 14-5 against Baltimore a year ago, has been outscored by the Orioles 47-26 this season.

Making his 2005 debut after spending the first two weeks on the disabled list with a strained back, Brown (0-1) allowed six runs and nine hits in six innings. The right-hander walked two and struck out three.

Brown retired the first two batters in the first inning before Mora hit his second homer. Tejada then doubled and scored on a single by Sammy Sosa, who went to third on a double by Rafael Palmeiro before Brown retired Gibbons on a fly ball.

In the second, Roberts drew a two-out walk, David Newhan singled and Mora walked before Tejada hit an 0-1 pitch an estimated 420 feet over the center-field wall. It was his third homer, and extended his run of games with at least one RBI to nine — one short of the team record held by Reggie Jackson (1976) and Doug DeCinces ('78).

Derek Jeter singled in a run in the fifth for the Yankees and Sierra hit a two-run shot in the sixth to make it 6-3.

The Orioles scored twice in the seventh against the New York bullpen. Paul Quantrill left with the bases loaded before Palmeiro drew a walk to force in a run and Luis Matos hit an RBI single.

Rodriguez hit his second home run in the eighth off Steve Reed.

Notes:@ Palmeiro's 2,931st hit moved him past Rogers Hornsby into sole possession of 31st place on the career list. ... The Yankees optioned INF Andy Phillips to Triple-A Columbus to make room for Brown on the 25-man roster. ... New York returns home after a 1-5 road trip. The Yankees also lost two of three to the Red Sox at Fenway Park. ... All three games in the series were sellouts, and the cumulative attendance of 144,542 was the third-largest for a three-game series in the 14-year history of Camden Yards.

:'( :-D

hunt

an owner who actually cares about winning...how refreshing. :yay
lemonade was a popular drink and it still is

Geowhizzer

Quote from: mhunt on April 18, 2005, 08:23:05 AM
an owner who actually cares about winning...how refreshing. :yay

But Hunt, you've gotta admit that it's just a tad early to be going out bemoaning the Fall of the Yankee Empire 12 games into the season.  Especially with the track record of the players on the Yanks.  Especially with the track record of Joe Torre with the Yankees.  They'll get straightened out, and they'll be in the thick of the race.

George is hilarious when he's upset, though!  :-D

hunt

he said that he's disappointed with their poor start...i don't think that's a bad thing.  everything he said is true.  i don't think he said anything off the wall.

anyway, he knows that the d-rays are coming into town & the yanks will rack up some wins...so he makes the statement to make it look like they're winning because his comments inspired them. :P

Diomedes

Quote from: mhunt on April 17, 2005, 11:09:33 AM
great...there's nothing like a nice drive through the bronx. :paranoid

Drive through my neighborhood broadcasting that kind of sentiment, see how far it gets you.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

hunt

Quote from: Diomedes on April 18, 2005, 08:41:22 AM
Quote from: mhunt on April 17, 2005, 11:09:33 AM
great...there's nothing like a nice drive through the bronx. :paranoid

Drive through my neighborhood broadcasting that kind of sentiment, see how far it gets you.

you're so street. :-D

the bronx is not a nice place for a stadium...well at least the area of the bronx where the stadium is currently located.
i took a bus trip to a yankees game 2 years ago.  when we went back to the bus after the game, there was a bullet hole in one of the windows.

Rome

I'd feel safer attending a soccer match at Baghdad Stadium than a Yankees game in the Bronx.

Diomedes

Quote from: mhunt on April 18, 2005, 08:45:43 AMyou're so street. :-D

I live in the Bronx.  Taking a bus here once hardly gives you authority to criticize, but somehow it makes sense to me that a self described Yankee fan would be both ignorant and critical of his team's home town.  After all, you're really nothing but a Cowboy fan, a Laker fan, a Duke fan.

I'm with the Boss.  His team is paid way to much to suck this badly, even with a hundred 40+ games left.  They look terrible.  Couldn't happen to a better group of people.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

hunt

Quote from: Diomedes on April 18, 2005, 12:40:39 PM
Quote from: mhunt on April 18, 2005, 08:45:43 AMyou're so street. :-D

I live in the Bronx.  Taking a bus here once hardly gives you authority to criticize, but somehow it makes sense to me that a self described Yankee fan would be both ignorant and critical of his team's home town.  After all, you're really nothing but a Cowboy fan, a Laker fan, a Duke fan.

I'm with the Boss.  His team is paid way to much to suck this badly, even with a hundred 40+ games left.  They look terrible.  Couldn't happen to a better group of people.

i really don't care where you live...but perhaps you're a bit biased in this situation. :-D  i've been to more than a few yankees games but i refuse to drive there because it's a hellhole...and i'm not the only one. 
you should move.

hunt

the boss' comments worked....the yanks housed the d-rays last night.  :P :-D

rjs246

Quote from: mhunt on April 19, 2005, 12:48:52 PM
the boss' comments worked....the yanks housed the d-rays last night.

Congrats on your team making such a strong statement.

Oh yeah and baseball sucks, you Duke fan.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

hunt

Quote from: rjs246 on April 19, 2005, 01:03:56 PM
Quote from: mhunt on April 19, 2005, 12:48:52 PM
the boss' comments worked....the yanks housed the d-rays last night.

Congrats on your team making such a strong statement.

Oh yeah and baseball sucks, you Duke fan.

well, at least you still rule at picking up on sarcasm.

Rome

Did you check into the MLB.TV package yet?

If you get it, get the "All Access" package for $99.  You get all 162 games (other than blackouts) on video and all 162 games on audio from both teams broadcast stations.  Plus, you get on-demand replays of entire games, highlights packages & condensed games too.

It really is a fricken steal if you're a baseball fan.

rjs246

Quote from: mhunt on April 19, 2005, 02:00:54 PM

well, at least you still rule at picking up on sarcasm.

Your face rules at picking up sarcasm! Yeah. Take that.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Nuh uh... his MOMMA rules at it!  SNAP!