Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanshin

Lord of the Flies is a pretty good book, though I disagree with Goldman's "man is inherently evil" theme...at least I did at the time I read it; considering recent events, I may have to reconsider my position :undee: .

stillupfront

I am in the process of reading Red Rabbit by Tom Clancy. It occurs after Patriot games and before Red October.

1/9/06

Very proud sponsor of DarWIN Walker BSSE

Proud to be sponsored by HBionic

Fan_Since_64

Always nice to see this thread return to the top.  :)

Oh, and I'm reading "The Fifties", by David Halberstam. Lots of interesting stuff, and covering a very broad range.

Gene

Quote from: stillupfront on October 08, 2002, 11:36:13 AM
I am in the process of reading Red Rabbit by Tom Clancy. It occurs after Patriot games and before Red October.

If I remember my basic Tom Clancy correctly, "The Hunt For Red October" came before "Patriot Games".......didn't it ???

PSULions

That may be so, but as far as the main character, Jack Ryan goes, it goes in the previously stated order.  Clancy has Ryan aging and getting younger with each new book, you just never know.  I guess it's just whichever suits his purpose at the time....  I always liked the one where he gets it on with the homeless whore...... ;D
Hypocrisy is in the eye of the Hypocrite...

RomeyRome

Like PG I am a Dan Koontz fan.

Must reads are the series Fear Nothing and Sieze the Night, it is the first 2 parts of a 3 part series, which the next book is coming out soon.  PHENOMENOL reading, GREAT characters and great story lines.
Here is news of newest book:
What's Next:
Dean's next novel will be "Ride The Storm," a third novel in the Christopher Snow series! (first was Fear Nothing then Seize the Night.) Unfortunately, "Ride the Storm" won't be available for awhile, Dean said in recent interviews that he hopes it will be in bookstores in late 2002.

Here is other Dean Koontz books I've read, although I wouldn't recommend all of them:
The Bad Place
Cold Fire
Dark Rivers of the Heart
Hideaway
Intensity
Ice Bound
Lightning
Watchers
Shadowfires
Night Chills
Midnight
The Key to Midnight
One Door Away From Heavan
Phantoms
Sole Survivor
Strange Highways (a book with a few short stories)
The Voice of the Night
Winter Moon
False Memory (PG is right, that book is insane)
Demon Seed (weak book)
Dragon Tears
Mr. Murder
The Face of Fear
and of course my 2 favorites, Fear Nothing and Sieze the Night.

RomeyRome

Oh and I'm reading From the Corner of His Eye right now, so that will be my 26th Koontz book.
If I were to recommend any of them they'd be:
Fear Nothing & Sieze the Night
The Bad Place
Intensity
Shadowfires
Phantoms
The Voice of the Night
Winter Moon
Dragon Tears
The Face of Fear

I don't remember them all, but these are good ones.

PSULions

I agree with the "man is inherently evil" point, but I disagree with "Lord of the flies".  What a stupid book.  John Calvin theorized that Man is inherently evil and all his deeds are evil, unless those deeds are performed to bring glory to God.....  Try reading the "Five points of Calvinism" sometime.....  You might not agree with it, but it might cause you, nonspecific, to do some heavy thinking on the existence of God and His purpose....
Hypocrisy is in the eye of the Hypocrite...

stillupfront

Quote from: Gene on October 08, 2002, 06:35:49 PM
Quote from: stillupfront on October 08, 2002, 11:36:13 AM

If I remember my basic Tom Clancy correctly, "The Hunt For Red October" came before "Patriot Games".......didn't it ???

NO

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/nvdaydreamer/pers/jackryan.htm

1/9/06

Very proud sponsor of DarWIN Walker BSSE

Proud to be sponsored by HBionic

Butchers Bill

I just finished Sean Hannity's "Let Freedom Ring".

Dio, you may want to check it out.   ;)
I believe I've passed the age of consciousness and righteous rage
I found that just surviving was a noble fight.
I once believed in causes too,
I had my pointless point of view,
And life went on no matter who was wrong or right.

MURP

wooohooo... just finished my first Koontz book "Dark Rivers of the Heart"... it was good stuff.   :yay

satoshi

Diomedes

Quote from: Joel1972 on October 14, 2002, 09:33:11 AM
I just finished Sean Hannity's "Let Freedom Ring".

Dio, you may want to check it out.   ;)

Yeah, I read it.  Powerful stuff.  Went straight to the post office to change my registration to Republican.  Then, having seen the light, I went and posted some signs in the poor (black) neighborhoods which told the residents to make sure they pay all their parking tickets and their rent, and their child support, and their taxes, before voting, otherwise....
Sean would be proud.

Fan_Since_64

Always good to keep this thread going!  8)

My current selection is "Mayday: Eisenhower, Khruschev and the U-2 Affair" by Michael Beschloss. Very detailed, with lots of insight into that particular period of Cold War history.  

PhillyGirl

I'm in the middle of "One Door Away From Heaven" by Dean Koontz. Its one of his newer books. Read the first 250 pages in one day, that's how good it is!
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen