Computer Geeks Unite! And farging help me!

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2006, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

yeah im sure they dont exist i just wasnt sure if a conveter did more than convert the ac to dc or whatever it does
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Cerevant

Converting from DC to AC is less efficient than using DC - that's why the inverter gets hot.  Sadly enough, your laptop converts the DC back to AC...lots of wasted power.

For those playing this game, make sure the inverter has enough power output for your laptop.  If you look at the power brick it will have the voltage & current - my dell runs at 100-240V at 1.5 A.  Multiply the smallest voltage with the current and that gives you the minimum power needed - in my case, 150 watts.  Make sure your inverter has a rating higher than this, or it will shut down or burn out on you.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

Seabiscuit36

I need help wiring up a lan line.  I have 50ft of Cat5e RJ45 run.  I purchased a Philips Data/phone hookup wallplate.  I cant find wiring diagrams anywhere of which colors i need to hook up?  Is anyone familar with wiring these up?
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Susquehanna Birder

This doesn't address the wall plate specifically, but it should get you in the right direction:

http://www.netspec.com/helpdesk/wiredoc.html

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Susquehanna Birder

Here's something else that might help:

http://www.vpi.us/installation/assemble-cat5eshld.html

You can follow whatever standard you want, though. The important thing is that you're consistent at either end of the cable.

MDS

Ok, this is 6 guys living in a house, so which one do I need for internet connection from Verizon:

$15 a month at: 768 kbps/128 kbps
$25 a month at: 3.0 Mbps/768 Kbps

I don't know what those numbers mean, we just need an internet that works and isnt slow like Burrell
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

mussa

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

MDS

yes but will the $15 suffice or will be slow and painful like the turd i just deposited.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

Quit being a cheap freaking jew and anti up for some high quality internets. 

MDS

im the only jew, sas. none of the roomies have jew gold to fall back on.

Seabiscuit36

definitely spend the 25 MDS, If you have wireless or 4 of you are on at the same time the 768 will basically be dialup

Susquehanna Birder

Faster is better. Don't throttle your bandwidth, especially if there are several of you sharing the connection. With 6 people on a 768kb line, you might as well be running dial-up.

SunMo

in my opinion, 768 will basically be dial-up
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Diomedes

get the $15 dollar line for yourself and farg everyone else
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger