Week One - 2020

Started by PhillyPhreak54, September 10, 2020, 08:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

Other than the Eagles abject failure agasint the Washington Football Team Established 1932, I watched about 30 minutes of the Bucs Saints game, and an hour or so of the Cowboys Rams games. 

Tom Brady is done.
The Cowboys are a much better team than the Eagles.
Jared Goff is nothing special.
The Saints were the best team I saw play football yesterday.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

QB Eagles

Marlon Mack done for the year.

I don't think Brady is done from what I saw (most of the game). I do think he needs a lot more reps with his teammates, and really suffered from having no preseason. I think he's used to a lot more basic competence around him. Gronk is done, though.

Other thoughts:
* Ravens were the best team I saw (though only during breaks in the Eagles action, plus highlights). It looks so easy for them. Only knock against them is that it was against the Browns.
* Colts and Lions joined the Eagles in the "massively deflating debut" category. Lions looked better than the Eagles but the way they lost was a nastier dagger, to a fanbase that is used to it.
* I don't think Patriots expectations should be lower than any previous year.
* Adam Gase is going to be fired many weeks before any other head coach.

General_Failure

I can't wait until next year when another team stupidly signs a Patriots coordinator to be their head coach.

The man. The myth. The legend.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: QB Eagles on September 14, 2020, 12:51:45 PM
Marlon Mack done for the year.

I don't think Brady is done from what I saw (most of the game). I do think he needs a lot more reps with his teammates, and really suffered from having no preseason. I think he's used to a lot more basic competence around him. Gronk is done, though.

Other thoughts:
* Ravens were the best team I saw (though only during breaks in the Eagles action, plus highlights). It looks so easy for them. Only knock against them is that it was against the Browns.
* Colts and Lions joined the Eagles in the "massively deflating debut" category. Lions looked better than the Eagles but the way they lost was a nastier dagger, to a fanbase that is used to it.
* I don't think Patriots expectations should be lower than any previous year.
* Adam Gase is going to be fired many weeks before any other head coach.

I agree with all of that.

Baltimore is loaded. Flat out loaded. And adding Dobbins? Good lord.

The Browns are trash again. New HC same story. I have never been a Mayfield fan and he's got ample weapons but he cannot get the ball to them. If you have Landry, OBJ, Hunt, Chubb and the TEs? You should be moving the football easily.

Newton going to NE was such a good move.

Swift dropping that TD for DET was painful to watch. I felt bad for him. I don't feel bad for a defense letting Trubisky come back on them.

It's a race between Gase and Quinn on who gets shteincanned first. The Falcons did what they always do.

Diomedes

Quote from: QB Eagles on September 14, 2020, 12:51:45 PMI don't think Brady is done from what I saw (most of the game). I do think he needs a lot more reps with his teammates, and really suffered from having no preseason. I think he's used to a lot more basic competence around him. Gronk is done, though.

I did not see most of the game so I'll defer.  Other than his first completion, which was gorgeous, I saw a lot of off-target throws and pissed-off captain attitude from a guy who wasn't delivering.  His INTs were every bit as bad as Wentz's were.  The miscommunication appears to be on him too, as Arians didn't hold back putting both on Brady.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

QB Eagles

Falcons just got rolled by peak Russ.

I think Quinn sucks (their SB run was all Shanahan) but I couldn't conclude too much about the state of their team. Gurley looked good, which was my main question mark going in.

QB Eagles

Quote from: Diomedes on September 14, 2020, 01:40:03 PM
Quote from: QB Eagles on September 14, 2020, 12:51:45 PMI don't think Brady is done from what I saw (most of the game). I do think he needs a lot more reps with his teammates, and really suffered from having no preseason. I think he's used to a lot more basic competence around him. Gronk is done, though.

I did not see most of the game so I'll defer.  Other than his first completion, which was gorgeous, I saw a lot of off-target throws and pissed-off captain attitude from a guy who wasn't delivering.  His INTs were every bit as bad as Wentz's were.  The miscommunication appears to be on him too, as Arians didn't hold back putting both on Brady.

The pick six was a really bad decision and throw, actually worse than Wentz's. But his arm strength looked fine and he drew a lot of downfield PI. To me he didn't look like a cooked old man, just a guy dropped into a new system (a system clearly inferior to what he's played in for 20 years). He's a whiny bitch when things aren't going his way, but that's not new.

I think Brees is closer to the end of his career. Wouldn't surprise me if he's running on fumes by December, like Manning near the end.

MDS

its 1 game and everything but looked like brees was apprehensive about throwing downfield. not a big day for thomas. lotta bradford throws. defense and that special teams play really helped them. and i took them -4 with the points.

brady to me was still making high level throws downfield. hes going to be a statue in the pocket but he can sling it, still.

ravens did their thing when they can bully a bad team and then steamroll downhill. need to see how they do when they get down or a higher level defense is on lamar.

really liked arizona. throwing them in some teasers this week against wash
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

General_Failure

The worst thing about the fake crowd noise is I have no idea when I have to actually pay attention to a game I'm not watching but have playing on another screen.

General_Failure

That was an amazing Giants drive until Jones Wentz'd it up at the end.

QB Eagles

I hate the crowd noise and the weirdest part to me was how different it was among different games on the same network. It's like they left it up to the individual producers.

Also I can't remember Ford Field ever being as loud as some of the fake noise in Sunday's game. The Eagles game volume seemed more restrained and appropriate for the lackluster matchup in that depressing stadium.

General_Failure

I appreciate that Washington played cricket noises when the Eagles came out.

PhillyPhreak54

Tennessee is cursed at the kicker position

Gostkowski has kinda gone downhills anyways but still. Missed one and had one blocked.

PhillyPhreak54

Motherfarger he missed another one. You shteintin me?!

My Titans -3 and ML bets aren't happy. 9 points left on the field.

MDS

i had no feel for this game but leaned DEN because tannehill stinks. turns out drew lock does too! think the titans will eventually cover you
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.