2011 Philadelphia Phillies Season Thread (choking awful pos team, DIAF)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2011, 07:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

if they dont sweep then something is wrong

the cardinals are horrendous and they have a significant advantage in every pitching matchup
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Geowhizzer

MDS

roster

ruiz, howard, utley, jimmy, polanco, ibanez, vic, pence
schnieder, valdez, martinez, gload, mayberry, francisco

halladay, lee, hamels, oswalt
madson, ol dirty, lidge, stutes, worley, blanton, kendrick

no herndon (sigh of relief for irrational hatred people, indifference from everyone else)
orr and kratz will travel with them
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Don Ho

Quote from: BigEd76 on September 30, 2011, 02:54:03 PM
LaRussa just changed his rotation again.  Carpenter on 3 days rest on Sunday, then Garcia in game 3 and Jackson in game 4

He's already overmanaging.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Don Ho

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Don Ho on September 30, 2011, 05:54:30 PM
Quote from: BigEd76 on September 30, 2011, 02:54:03 PM
LaRussa just changed his rotation again.  Carpenter on 3 days rest on Sunday, then Garcia in game 3 and Jackson in game 4

He's already overmanaging.

anyone who knows anything about larussa knew he was gonna change up...i personally thought garcia would end up pitching game 1 but carpenter in game two makes sense as he can pitch a game 5 now if needed since there is an extra day off btwn 4 and 5...he knew what he was doing the whole time hes just being tony larussa....he did the same thing in 2000 with darryl kyle and rick ankiel

phillie career splits vs lohse

jimmy 5-27 .185
grit 4-24 .167
pence 13-41 .317
choke 8-16 .500
braindead 5-24 .208
polanco 10-28 .357
ibanez 9-33 .273
chooch 5-20 .250

btw i was up in the middle of the night last night couldnt sleep and was thinking about this....as much as we have all destroyed him over the last two years...lets give it up for ibanez....dooks is 39 years old and was still second on the team in rbi (pence doesnt count)....the guy is the ultimate professional never ever complains and is great for the clubhouse...i think its safe to say that grit or choke could only dream at 38 and 39 years old to be doing what raul has done

fyi - game 2 start time pushed back to 8.37
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

It's a shame they didn't have him in his prime.

And I think Pence is gonna be the difference in these Playoffs offensively.

PhillyPhreak54

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20111001_Danys_Baez_mentors_Antonio_basticho_-_again.html

QuoteFellow countryman Jose Contreras told Baez he thought it would be a good idea to contact basticho. Baez was hesitant to interfere, but reprised his role as mentor a week ago and texted the 25-year-old lefty.

"Are you tired?" Baez typed. "Are you fine?"

"My slider is not working right now," basticho responded.

So Baez started watching all the video he could find on basticho. He compared basticho's delivery at different points in the season. He took notes and relayed them to basticho.

"I saw him do a lot of things wrong with his mechanics," Baez said.

Baez, who posted a 5.81 ERA in two seasons as a Phillies reliever, pointed to basticho's hand and glove positioning before he began his motion. At first, his hands were slower than the rest of his body, and that forced him to rush at the most crucial moment. His slider was rendered useless.

"I remembered what he was doing before," Baez said. "Little things make him get in the right position."

basticho remains a shy figure in the Phillies clubhouse. With success, his confidence grew. But some teammates pointed to Baez's influence as a major factor in basticho's becoming comfortable with life as a major leaguer.

Now, Baez may have offered one final favor. Maybe all basticho needed was a familiar refrain from his mentor. Maybe it's all mental.

"He will be big for them in the playoffs," Baez said.

And he'll be watching from Miami with his two daughters, hoping his words play a small role in a championship for his former team.

MDS

its opening day, season finally getting underway

damn was spring training long this year

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on October 01, 2011, 01:20:16 PM
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20111001_Danys_Baez_mentors_Antonio_basticho_-_again.html

QuoteFellow countryman Jose Contreras told Baez he thought it would be a good idea to contact basticho. Baez was hesitant to interfere, but reprised his role as mentor a week ago and texted the 25-year-old lefty.

"Are you tired?" Baez typed. "Are you fine?"

"My slider is not working right now," basticho responded.

So Baez started watching all the video he could find on basticho. He compared basticho's delivery at different points in the season. He took notes and relayed them to basticho.

"I saw him do a lot of things wrong with his mechanics," Baez said.

Baez, who posted a 5.81 ERA in two seasons as a Phillies reliever, pointed to basticho's hand and glove positioning before he began his motion. At first, his hands were slower than the rest of his body, and that forced him to rush at the most crucial moment. His slider was rendered useless.

"I remembered what he was doing before," Baez said. "Little things make him get in the right position."

basticho remains a shy figure in the Phillies clubhouse. With success, his confidence grew. But some teammates pointed to Baez's influence as a major factor in basticho's becoming comfortable with life as a major leaguer.

Now, Baez may have offered one final favor. Maybe all basticho needed was a familiar refrain from his mentor. Maybe it's all mental.

"He will be big for them in the playoffs," Baez said.

And he'll be watching from Miami with his two daughters, hoping his words play a small role in a championship for his former team.

i had heard the main problem was not mechanics but that he was showing his pitches
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Hawk

MDS

OK if you wondering now you all have permission to go crazy

phreak out like its 2005 and jon lieber just walked the bases loaded. mike williams is coming in!

Geowhizzer

Quote from: MDS on October 01, 2011, 05:02:38 PM
OK if you wondering now you all have permission to go crazy

phreak out like its 2005 and jon lieber just walked the bases loaded. mike williams is coming in!

Omar Daal is our ace?