2011 Philadelphia Phillies Season Thread (choking awful pos team, DIAF)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2011, 07:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

you mean the 10k gang members that used to go arent going

just an all around travesty of a place
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

It's one of the nicest stadiums in the Majors, but you're right about the crowd being an ugly one.  It's a perfect representation of Los Angeles, though.  Extreme wealth surrounded by violent street thugs and crushing poverty.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on August 09, 2011, 07:32:26 AM
you mean the 10k gang members that used to go arent going

just an all around travesty of a place

Yeah, that's a good chunk of the "fanbase" that doesn't show up anymore...and good riddance to them.  But the fans are making a statement.  They want McCourt gone and they aren't going to games.  Former players are speaking out against him too.  It's actually pretty impressive if you consider that just 2 years ago, the Dodgers were in their 2nd straight NLCS.  So it's not like they haven't won under McCourt and the fans are fed up with watching a bad team.  They simply don't like the guy. 

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Rome on August 09, 2011, 07:46:43 AM
It's one of the nicest stadiums in the Majors

False.  Maybe it was nice in 1973 but I was there during the 09 NLCS and it was pretty meh. 

ice grillin you

i was there when i was a kid (and rode in planes) and from what i remember the surrounding area with the rolling hills and shtein seemed real nice but the stadium even back then seemed to be a dump

lurking wierdo

I live out of the area so I am stuck watching Phils games when I can get them. Last night they were on MLB network. What a pleasure it was listening to Vin Scully. That guy is amazing.

Sgt PSN

Vin is starting to slip a little.  Called Doc "Matt" a couple of times and misspoke on a few other occasions.  Still, he is the GOAT and he's forgotten more baseball than every single one of us combined will ever know.  Aside from the fact that he's literally got the most comforting voice I've ever heard from a commentator, he calls the game and you feel like you're sitting in the booth with him.  He's talking to you, not at you.  He does play by play, color and analysis all on his own.  No gimmicks, no made up or forced catch phrases during the game, although before every game he does say "It's tiiiiiiiime for Dodgers baseball" which admittedly gives me goosebumps when I hear it.  It's a shame that the Dodgers have been more bad than good over the last 25 years.  Why the networks don't use him for the WS is mind boggling.

Rome

Considering he's what, 116 years old, I'd say his slipping up on occasion is more than tolerable.  He was fantastic to listen to last night even if I was drifting in and out during the latter stages of the game.

And Dodger stadium is 50 years old.  Of course it's gonna show some wear, but it's still a baseball cathedral as far as I'm concerned.

lurking wierdo

My 17 year old son was amazed at how much personal info he had on every player. Ryan Howard's older brother is heavier than Ryan but his twin brother is taller. WTF? How does he know this? And he weaves it in to the play by play. It makes you really miss a pro like Harry, especially the old days with Whitey.

And I love Dodger Stadium. I haven't been there in about 5 years, but it's a great venue.

ice grillin you

harry fell off like a motherfarger the last few years as well...not quite but almost to emabarrassing levels...which is where scully has been for a couple years as well

happens to the best of us

Rome

He could announce the games using a Stephen Hawking voice and he'd still outclass 99% of the pbp guys working today.

lurking wierdo

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on August 09, 2011, 09:57:18 AM
He could announce the games using a Stephen Hawking voice and he'd still outclass 99% of the pbp guys working today.

better than most maybe...but in his current state he is nowhere near todays good ones

ill go 60%tile

lurking wierdo

Quote from: ice grillin you on August 09, 2011, 10:00:37 AM
Quote from: Rome on August 09, 2011, 09:57:18 AM

better than most maybe...but in his current state he is nowhere near todays good ones

ill go 60%tile
As I am stuck with MLB network, ESPN and Fox I am hearing a lot of different guys. The Cubs guys are good, the Giants guys are really good, the  Braves guys suck ass, the Marlins guys are below average.

MDS

The crowd wasn't awful considering the teams situation, but it had to be a qtr to a third phils fans there. The stadium again had a legit retro feel to it but was too big, open and the restrictions on getting to different levels was absurd.

Not a dump but not amazing either.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.