2011 Philadelphia Phillies Season Thread (choking awful pos team, DIAF)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2011, 07:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geowhizzer

Latest from Stark (Per 97.5):

Phils offering Singleton, Cosart and Brown for Pence.  Houston wants a third team to spin Brown for more prospects.

Supposedly Braves offered a package, and were told to go pound sand.

MDS

i hope this is all a big play to drive down the market for upton

i dont like hof being offered in that deal
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Munson

Yeah that's a terrible deal. Their two top prospects and their bright future'd RF? No thank you.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

ice grillin you

how much better is pence going to hit in the playoffs versus mAAAberry or dom...is he a better player than either of them...no doubt he is...but that doesnt mean he is going to produce that much more and if he does is it cosart dom brown and singleton more...no farging way

yes the trade is not just about this october but also an outfield answer for the next couple years but if thats the case then just wait till the offseason and make a trade for an OF when the last second scramblings of the trading deadline arent driving the price thru the roof

and this is coming from a huge win now guy

i agree with the lil guy...take dom out and i do it....throw in another prospect even...cosart and singleton are overrrated and years away from the show if they ever even make it
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 29, 2011, 01:11:05 PM
how much better is pence going to hit in the playoffs versus mAAAberry or dom...is he a better player than either of them...no doubt he is...but that doesnt mean he is going to produce that much more and if he does is it cosart dom brown and singleton more...no farging way

yes the trade is not just about this october but also an outfield answer for the next couple years but if thats the case then just wait till the offseason and make a trade for an OF when the last second scramblings of the trading deadline arent driving the price thru the roof

i agree with the lil guy...take dom out and i do it....throw in another prospect even...cosart and singleton are overrrated and years away from the show if they ever even make it

He's Jayson Werth circa last year. I woudn't give up that ransom for Werth, why Pence?
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

PhillyPhreak54

I am ok with Cosart and Singleton and some other guy

But no HOF

MDS

hes not even close to werth

for one werth actually walked. secondly werth has or had 30 homer power. pence is more in the 15-20 range.

pence is nice little player, certainly better than ibanez and what hof is producing now. but mortgaging your future for him is asinine. he aint worth it. the only one on the block who is is kemp and hes not even really on the block.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhanInDC on July 29, 2011, 01:12:46 PM

He's Jayson Werth circa last year. I woudn't give up that ransom for Werth, why Pence?

if you could get werths phillie numbers in this lineup right now you wouldnt do it for some A ballers?

Hawk

Agree, as much as I'm in the "win now" boat, there's no way I include Dom Brown in the field.  His zesty outfielding with be masked by moving over to Left Field when Pence arrives.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: MDS on July 29, 2011, 01:15:39 PM

for one werth actually walked. secondly werth has or had 30 homer power. pence is more in the 15-20 range.

pence is nice little player, certainly better than ibanez and what hof is producing now. but mortgaging your future for him is asinine. he aint worth it. the only one on the block who is is kemp and hes not even really on the block.

Besides the fact that Pence has hit 25 each of the last three years, this is spot on.

Hawk

Quote from: Geowhizzer on July 29, 2011, 01:25:29 PM
Quote from: MDS on July 29, 2011, 01:15:39 PM

Besides the fact that Pence has hit 25 each of the last three years, this is spot on.

Boom roasted.

PhillyPhanInDC

I absolutely would add Werth's numbers for some "A ballers". That doesn't include Brown. Giving up all of those prospects + Brown is nuts.

Not a fast bat . . . Needs to cheat a lot and therefore strikes out a lot . . . Not a high OPS guy . . . Would not protect [Ryan] Howard in the batting order . . . Not a guy I would like to pay a lot over the next 3 years like you would have to in [arbitration] . . . Not a great defensive player either. Not a premium guy worth giving up premium cheap future-salaried young players . . . I would trade the young guys if it was a guy with an OPS of .950 or above, more athletic with higher upside with a faster bat.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

MDS

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhanInDC on July 29, 2011, 01:27:34 PM
I absolutely would add Werth's numbers for some "A ballers". That doesn't include Brown. Giving up all of those prospects + Brown is nuts.

yeah thats what i said

BigEd76

Anyone mention Choke's new house in Florida yet?

QuoteIt's 5,099 air miles from Tampa, Florida to Venice, Italy. But Ryan Howard found a much faster way to see the legendary Venetian canals: he's building one in his new home.

A town not far from Tampa is considering a major change to its housing code to allow the Phillies slugger to build a $23 million, 17,500-square-foot home nicknamed Casa Del Howard.

The Philadelphia Daily News reports (via the Tampa Bay Weekly) Howard's architect had to testify before a town commission about the ridiculous plans for the house. At issue is the length of construction. City code says all homes must be finished in 24 months; the Howard palace could take as long as 3 1/2 years to complete.

Dan Dawson says the gulf-front property, covering over an acre of land in Belleair, Florida, features a Venice-style lazy river running from the swimming pool underneath a series of bridges. In case you believe Howard could do without the Italian influence on his home, Dawson told the commission the river is "a fundamental part of the design." He claimed the whole Howard family was looking forward to seeing the canal, and won't consider dropping it from the plans.

If Howard gets bored with baseball, he can try the Pro Bowling Tour. His castle will include a bowling alley on the ground level with breakaway walls.

Belleair is considering its options. The town could amend the law, or the ordinance could be left as is, and the case appealed to the special magistrate when the six month deadline is not met.

Howard has earned $45,255,000 over the course of his big league career, which began in 2006. The St. Louis native will earn $115,000,000 in guaranteed money from 2012 through 2016 from the Phillies.