2011 Philadelphia Phillies Season Thread (choking awful pos team, DIAF)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2011, 07:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Until he proves otherwise, Utley shall no longer be referred to as Grit.  His new name is The Free Pass.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: MDS on June 10, 2011, 12:30:20 AM
ps love see another excuse me half swing pop out to LF for grit. hes awesome at those.

Hmm....maybe Captain Checkswing?

MDS

he does that all the time, but hes actually got a terrific obp for someone who is so clearly not quite ready to be playing.

re-start the carlos queintin trade rumors NOW
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

I love how when he slaps at a bad ball and hits a routine fly ball he runs so hard to 1B - so gritty

Don Ho

Quote from: Sgt PSN on June 10, 2011, 12:31:38 AM
Until he proves otherwise, Utley shall no longer be referred to as Grit.  His new name is The Free Pass.

Fine with us, just explain it to lurking weirdo.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

ice grillin you

the whole origin of GRIT is facetious....hes never done anything wrong because hes so GRITty....his fielding went from awful to solid but you would have thought he was the best fielding second basemen in the majors because hes so GRITlicious...when he came back this year he might have started out 2-26 but his GRIT willed the offense to all of a sudden become good....

where are these farging dumbasses who credited him for bringin the offense alive because by nothing more than pure coincidence they scored a few runs right around the time he came back...well now he sucks and so has the offense for all but like two of the games since his return...where are those idiots now?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 10, 2011, 07:43:55 AM

the whole origin of GRIT is facetious....hes never done anything wrong because hes so GRITty....his fielding went from awful to solid but you would have thought he was the best fielding second basemen in the majors because hes so GRITlicious...when he came back this year he might have started out 2-26 but his GRIT willed the offense to all of a sudden become good....

where are these farging dumbasses who credited him for bringin the offense alive because by nothing more than pure coincidence they scored a few runs right around the time he came back...well now he sucks and so has the offense for all but like two of the games since his return...where are those idiots now?

not an utley apologist, and it doesn't really matter, but people who use defensive fielding statistics state pretty unequivocally that utley has been the best defensive 2B the last 5 or so years.

ice grillin you

Eagles_Legendz

Meh, I'm not going to pretend to know enough about someone's defensive capabilities beyond what I can see, but he has been one of the best fielders at any position according to them.  I think people who rely solely on anything related to sabermetrics are limiting themselves, but those who dismiss them out of hand are equally short sighted.  But I'm also pretty sure this conversation has been had around here before once or twice.

We'll agree that Utley has a crowd of apologists who refuse to cast criticism on him when it's deserved and that he's a good fielder.

PhillyPhreak54

Sabremetrics anger me.

farg a VORP and Zone Ranting and whatever other bullshtein the computer nerds come up with

ice grillin you

dont get me wrong i think hes a fine fielder and i give him credit for improving himself....but the adulation that got heaped on him for imporving himself and for how good a fielder he is in general was ridiculous

MDS

Tonight's lineup vs. CHI: Rollins SS, Victorino CF, Utley 2B, Howard 1B, Polanco 3B, Ibanez LF, Brown RF, Ruiz C, Halladay P.

chuckles finally listened to me and went with the lineup i suggest way back in april. watch this be the magical formula for success.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

LOL

Polly is if not the best 2-hole hitter in MLB he's top three, so sure, hitting him farging 5th is chollyriffic.

Munson

Yeah but he's also the only guy in the line up that can provide any protection for howard at this point. At least until dom brown becomes more consistent
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Sgt PSN

Yeah, I know I've thrown that lineup out there too.  Victorino batting 5th is a farging joke.