2011 Philadelphia Phillies Season Thread (choking awful pos team, DIAF)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2011, 07:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

hes on a pace for just under 10 wins

even you would admit thats unacceptable
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

wins are a meaningless stat so i honestly wouldnt care

hes not walking anybody and his ERA will probably settle in the low 3's which is exactly what you'd figure it would be

also lowe is dealing tonight. not exactly sure what they can do to stop it.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

MDS

lol wow a funny sb post. next thing you know donho isnt going to have brain damage
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

MDS

ice grillin you

im sure you dont have to worry about that

theres not many people in the world that wanna meet a south jersey phillie fan

Eagles_Legendz

Lee's statlines are bizarre.  Again tonight he has 10Ks through 5 innings but has given up 3 runs, and this is someone who is supposedly not a strikeout pitcher.

Regardless, wins mean jackshtein in baseball.  If he keeps up his K/BB rate I imagine his ERA will settle in around 3.25 or so for the season.

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 06, 2011, 08:29:15 PM
im sure you dont have to worry about that

theres not many people in the world that wanna meet a south jersey phillie fan

lol

i guess lee "blinked first" tonight, or something. i dont know. he gave up 1 run in 7 innings on sunday but didnt get the win because his offense was terrible. so i guess he sucks now.

ice grillin you

yeah who wants to actually win games

the phillies were 18-17 last year when nicole started...and he supposedly was incredible

believe it or not wins do matter for starters

Eagles_Legendz

MDS

ummmm no, they dont

why are you trying to have this debate again

ice grillin you

if a starter wins a game its 100% a win

if he doesnt win its what 50/50 at best whether the teams wins or not

ill take the first option

MDS

but a starter winning a game is entirely predicated on things out of his control

it made sense back in the day when pitchers didnt come out of games until they were over, something im sure rome and his fellow elders fondly remember as The Good Old Days.

but today when pitchers routinely max out at 100 pitches and are pulled for pinch hitters and rely on bullpens its a really pointless and arbitrary stat.

look at halladay in the opener...he was out dueled by myers but got a ND because the astros bullpen blew it. then look at lee on sunday. he pitched well enough to win but got no run support.

point. less.

Eagles_Legendz

that's a horrible argument.

you can't argue against a straw man that a win is better than a loss.

the point is, a lot of the time whether or not a pitcher wins a game is wholly dependent on things outside of how someone pitched.  A pitcher cannot control what his offense provides so basing a statistic on things where half the game is outside of his control is incredibly dumb.

Give me someone with a 13-12 record with a 2.27 ERA over someone who went 15-9 with a 4 era any day of the week.