2011 Philadelphia Phillies Season Thread (choking awful pos team, DIAF)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2011, 07:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on April 26, 2011, 12:43:15 PM
Grit needs to hurry the farg up and get back though. 

if he even comes back he isnt gonna be any good...at best you can hope hes the same as last year which left a lot to be desired

yes it may be slightly better than what they have now but GRIT will not be a difference maker much less the savoir some people wanna belive.....he should have has surgery last year
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

phattymatty

Munson

They lost one game after a 5 game win streak and IGY's back that night/the next morning to post more doom and gloom after not saying a word for days.. It's as predictable as day and night, must stop feeding the troll
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

charlie

Quote from: Sgt PSN on April 26, 2011, 12:43:15 PM
Lidge's injury really handcuffed Cholly and unfortunately, it happened in the spring when it's too late to do anything about it.  If you want to fault Rube for going into the spring thinking Lidge was going to be fine, then I guess you could knock him for that.  The middle relief Rube gets heat for because Herndon and Baez suck and we knew this from last year.  They probably should have kept Durbin.  Kendrick is too up and down imo.  At the same time though, when you've got 4 starters who are going to give you a minimum of 7 innings almost every night, I guess middle relief isn't going to be a priority.  Hell, even Fat Joe will go 7 in close to half of his starts (he averaged about 6 2/3 last year).    So yeah, I don't think middle relief was looked at as a major issue.  Best we can hope for right now is for the Phils to weather the storm so to speak for the first half of the season and that Rube will be able to pick up a quality arm before the deadline.  Hell, even with the terrible offense and bullpen, the Phils are still tied with Colorado for best record in all of baseball, so it's really not that bad.  Yet. 

Grit needs to hurry the farg up and get back though. 

Middle relief sucks by definition. They're not good enough to start, they're not good enough to set up or close...

ice grillin you

middle relief is the least of the worries on this team...with this staff if their season somehow comes down to how good the middle relief is then something went terribly wrong and they werent going to win the world series anyway...

middle relief was important in 2008
durbin was the unsung hero of that team
it should be meaningless this year

offense and the 8th/9th inning will be their downfall
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

i missed Houston J ripping this team to shreds. nice to see him back destroying a bullpen that, so far, i believe has lost them 1 game. but yes they are horrendous and awful and shoddy and amaro sucks for not stock piling rivera and heath bell as middle relievers. what a fleshpop.

this boils down to j's hatred of amaro. nothing more, nothing less.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

HOF Brown in extended spring training today:  4/5, 2hr

Start packing Raul. 

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: MDS on April 26, 2011, 01:47:01 PM
i missed Houston J ripping this team to shreds. nice to see him back destroying a bullpen that, so far, i believe has lost them 1 game. but yes they are horrendous and awful and shoddy and amaro sucks for not stock piling rivera and heath bell as middle relievers. what a fleshpop.

this boils down to j's hatred of amaro. nothing more, nothing less.

Bullshtein.

Defend him for that bullpen.

Rome

I'll defend B@stardo, Madson, Lidge, Contreras & Lidge.  The others are garbage but you can't have all-stars in every slot in the 25 man roster, Jay.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Rome on April 26, 2011, 04:27:03 PM
I'll defend B@stardo, Madson, Lidge, Contreras & Lidge.  The others are garbage but you can't have all-stars in every slot in the 25 man roster, Jay.

Lidge, Contreras & Lidge.  Sounds like a lawfirm. 

MDS

no problem

were over 20 games into the season and the middle relief has two losses to their name-- a blown lead in 1-run game against florida and a kendrick implosion in an extra inning game against milwaukee. youll take that. for reference, mo rivera already has 2 blown saves. so i mean...bullpens lose games from time to time. it happens.

also they spent 300 trillion dollars on starting pitching so they dont even need much of a bullpen. and  they spent a lot of money, rightfully so at the time, on lidge who is probably damaged goods at this point. injuries suck. hes gone after this year and at that point they will have money to spend on a closer.

and your core of contreras, madson and basticho is really kind of good. thing is they cant pitch every night. manuel probably used contreras too much too soon. so hes injured. however, since hes 45 years old, this is the type of thing that was going to happen anyway. as i said he was a ticking time bomb for a dl stint. it just so happened to come in april instead of may. there might be another one in july. big deal. get him healthy for october.

im not sure what youre looking for here. are you mad that chad durbin isnt around? that kendrick is the long man instead of andrew carpenteror eude brito? maybe take a long hard angry J look at the time offense and call them out. they cant score more than 3 runs a game. maybe thats why all these games are close and maybe thats why manuel has to use madson and contreras so much.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

Wow - awful on my part... meant Romero there, not Lidge part II.

Eagles_Legendz

Yes.

Quote from: MDS on April 26, 2011, 04:38:04 PM
no problem

were over 20 games into the season and the middle relief has two losses to their name-- a blown lead in 1-run game against florida and a kendrick implosion in an extra inning game against milwaukee. youll take that. for reference, mo rivera already has 2 blown saves. so i mean...bullpens lose games from time to time. it happens.

also they spent 300 trillion dollars on starting pitching so they dont even need much of a bullpen. and  they spent a lot of money, rightfully so at the time, on lidge who is probably damaged goods at this point. injuries suck. hes gone after this year and at that point they will have money to spend on a closer.

and your core of contreras, madson and basticho is really kind of good. thing is they cant pitch every night. manuel probably used contreras too much too soon. so hes injured. however, since hes 45 years old, this is the type of thing that was going to happen anyway. as i said he was a ticking time bomb for a dl stint. it just so happened to come in april instead of may. there might be another one in july. big deal. get him healthy for october.

im not sure what youre looking for here. are you mad that chad durbin isnt around? that kendrick is the long man instead of andrew carpenteror eude brito? maybe take a long hard angry J look at the time offense and call them out. they cant score more than 3 runs a game. maybe thats why all these games are close and maybe thats why manuel has to use madson and contreras so much.

Sgt PSN

Rome