Computer Geeks Unite! And farging help me!

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2006, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Booted up my laptop today and got a message that says "Windows Explorer has stopped working."  Here's the problem details:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   explorer.exe
  Application Version:   6.0.6002.18005
  Application Timestamp:   49e01da5
  Fault Module Name:   QuickTime.qts_unloaded
  Fault Module Version:   0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:   4cf4536a
  Exception Code:   c0000005
  Exception Offset:   5d0bbb89
  OS Version:   6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
  Locale ID:   1033
  Additional Information 1:   fd00
  Additional Information 2:   ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
  Additional Information 3:   fd00
  Additional Information 4:   ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Clicked on the icon for Windows to resolve the problem but it didn't work. 

Rebooting didn't work. 

Googled the problem and tried several commonly suggested fixes like starting in safe mode, running sfc scan, and running memory diagnostics.  Also downloaded and ran a safety scanner direct from Microsoft.  None worked. 

Suggestions?

General_Failure

Would you terribly miss anything on it if you had to reformat?

The man. The myth. The legend.

Sgt PSN

That will wipe everything including the OS, right? 

General_Failure

Sgt PSN

Yeah, that's kind of a problem since my laptop didn't come with an install disk for Vista.  So I could try installing that copy of XP like I was talking about, but I'd really rather not to. 

Sgt PSN

I've been looking for solutions high and low online.  None of the different scans, diagnostics, or anything that were the most commonly recommended solutions did anything.  So I decided to try the simple approach, which probably should have been my 1st step all along (and I'm guessing GF assumed I already tried this).  I reinstalled QuickTime and rebooted.  Problem solved. 

ice grillin you

how easy is it to transfer your files from one laptop to another....i have a laptop whose motherboard died and i want to transfer my music word and excel files to another laptop...can you just plug one into another like you would an external drive or do i need to plug something into the hard drive itself of the busted computer and then into the good computer
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

General_Failure

Get one of these. It takes just a couple screws to get the bottom plate off your old laptop, a couple more to get the hard drive out. Put it in that case, turn a couple more screws to keep it from moving around. Transfer over your files, or just keep them on there. Whatever floats your boat.

ice grillin you

so essentially that thing becomes an external hard drive once you put the laptop hd into it?

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

ice grillin you

so i actually did this today
all by myself
without a single anything thrown across the room

thanks again gf

Seabiscuit36

I'm shocked you managed  to do this on new years day.  I figured your body would be going thru convulsions after the binge you've been on. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on January 02, 2014, 08:10:57 AM
I'm shocked you managed  to do this on new years day.  I figured your body would be going thru convulsions after the binge you've been on.

started again with the first bowl game so my nerves were calmed