Computer Geeks Unite! And farging help me!

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2006, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 13, 2013, 08:59:47 PM
i called best buy geek squad

Just so you know, Geek Squad guys are mostly ITT dropouts or people who just barely graduated but couldn't get a real job......because they're stupid.  Don't ever call them.  For anything.     

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on June 14, 2013, 08:21:15 AM
Quote from: ice grillin you on June 13, 2013, 08:59:47 PM
i called best buy geek squad

Just so you know, Geek Squad guys are mostly ITT dropouts or people who just barely graduated but couldn't get a real job......because they're stupid.  Don't ever call them.  For anything.     

what i needed done almost anyone could do with even a little bit of computer knowledge...in fact the last virus like this that i got i actually took it off the computer all by myself.....but this version was a little more difficult....i called strictly out of cost curiosity because i knew theyd charge and insane amount to do something super simple and i wanted to know exactly how much
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

Yeah, I know you're smart enough to not actually let them work on your stuff, but I like taking a jab at them anytime I can.  I hate them.  They are the Olive Garden of computers and electronics. 

SunMo

Quote from: phattymatty on June 13, 2013, 04:19:27 PM
Quote from: SunMo on June 13, 2013, 03:25:33 PM
2.  Because of this issue, I don't have access to my iTunes.  I got a new iPhone 5 yesterday and installed iTunes on my work computer so that I can put my music on my phone.  I brought in my external hard drive in which I have my updated music library (I did that occasionally by copying the itunes folder from my laptop and putting it on the external).  When I copy the backup itunes folder onto my work computer, the songs all pop up in my itunes library.  However, when I go to sync my phone or play a song, the little exclamation point pops up and says that the song cannot be located.  Any idea why this is happening and is there anything I can do to fix it?

are you actually copying the music files over or just the itunes folder? this happened to me once when i used an external too. wherever you synced them from your first time, itunes will look for them there every time after. so basically you just have to put all of the files on your work laptop and then add them to itunes from that location.

when i would back up onto the external, i would copy the entire itunes folder from my laptop to the external because that's all i thought i had to do from reading online.

i thought once you added files to itunes it added it to the itunes library file and thats what it referenced.  i didn't copy the actual songs from my laptop to my external because i didn't think i had to.

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Sgt PSN

I think I'm explaining this right.....

iTunes is set up to check a specific folder in your directory for music by default.  Something like:

Cdrive/MyMusic/iTunes/Music/Sunny/Artist/Album/filename, for example.

When you copy them to your external, their actual location now is Externalharddrive/Music/iTunes/Music/Sunny/Artist/Album/filename

So when you open iTunes to try to listen to music and you click a song, iTunes is programmed to check the C drive (or whatever your primary internal hard drive letter designation is) and then whatever folders and subfolders your music happens to fall under. 

1st thing you should do (if you haven't already) is copy your music folder and paste it to your work laptop. 

What you can do now is go into iTunes settings and then preferences and change the location that iTunes uses to find your music. 

That should do the trick. 

If not, then go directly to one of your song files, right click on it and select "open with" and then choose iTunes.  You should also be given the option to use iTunes whenever opening that type of file.  Click yes, or whatever the option is do approve that action. 

If none of that works, then you might want to try uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes and then trying the above step again. 

If that doesn't work, then the last option would be to do it manually, song by song.  Which sucks.  Basically, when you get the message saying that the song cannot be located, it should also ask you if you want to find the song.  If you click yes, it will bring up a window to your computer's directory.  Go to your music folder and find the specific song that you just tried to play through iTunes and double click on it.  Basically what you just did was give iTunes turn by turn directions to find that specific song.  Now you just have to do it for the rest of them. 

I've done all 3 of these in the past, depending on what the specific problem was.  Maybe there's another way to go about it, but if there is, I'm not aware of it. 

SunMo

i don't have the actual song files...i have the itunes library file (.itl).

i think i'm farged, basically. 

this is what i did to back up the file http://mp3.about.com/od/itunes/qt/How-to-Backup-Your-iTunes-Library-Copying-iTunes-Song-Files-to-Local-Storage.htm

this is what i am doing to restore:  http://ipod.about.com/od/restoreandreformatipod/ht/Restore-Itunes-From-Backup.htm

phattymatty

there is way too much writing going on here but if you add your library while attached to the external, it will be fine until the next time you sync your phone to itunes, because it will automatically look for the songs on your external again (or wherever they were originally pointed to). if you copy the actual files to your laptop, there won't be a problem. but i assume you don't want all that shtein on your work laptop.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: SunMo on June 14, 2013, 09:22:06 AM
i think i'm farged, basically. 

Sounds like it, unless you can actually get your original laptop to boot up again. 

Any song your purchased through iTunes I believe can be downloaded again.  Any song from other downloadable sources will also need to be downloaded again to the work laptop.  Obviously any cd's you ripped will have to be ripped again.  In short, don't make plans this weekend. 

SunMo

yeah, i basically have to download by entire library again.

hello torrents

ice grillin you

probably needed to start over and try again anyway

Sgt PSN

In case you (or anyone else) doesn't feel entirely right about using torrent sites for your music but you are equally against paying $1.29 per song through iTunes, there's a site out there I've been using for maybe a year or 2 called eMusic that isn't too bad.  (www.emusic.com) 

The pro(s) - Songs range from .49 - .99 each.  I've found A LOT of songs in the 49 cent range too.

It's compatible with iTunes and songs you purchase will automatically populate in your iTunes library.     

The con(s) - Doesn't have the greatest inventory.  If you're looking for well known songs by well known artists/groups, you should be ok.  If you're looking for some more obscure or less popular artists, then you may or may not find them on there.  It's really just hit or miss at this point. 

The site is kind of annoying because it's just difficult to navigate.  It doesn't seem to be exceptionally responsive to your pointing and clicking.  It's a minor hassle, but still a hassle none the less. 

It's subscription based rather than a la carte like iTunes.  I think I've got the cheapest plan which is $11.99/month.  So each month, my acct is credited with $11.99 for me to spend.  I think that small amounts of unspent money will roll over but if you still have like $8 left at the end of your cycle, you're not going to log on and find $20.00 sitting in your account during the next month. 

All in all though, it suits my needs for the most part.  It's a great alternative to iTunes for most of my music needs.  And I don't mind spending $12/month on music. 

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

Geowhizzer

Sounds like something from The Wild Wild West.

ice grillin you

anyone know why i have a spell check following me around the internet that i never had before

it could be a facebook IM...or a post on CF

but wherever i type now my lower case i is being auto corrected to I....its putting apostrophes in words like it's....and its putting a squiggly red line under any misspelled words

i hate it....is there anyway to turn it off whatever is doing it

General_Failure

Your browser is shaming you into learning English.

The man. The myth. The legend.