Computer Geeks Unite! And farging help me!

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2006, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_Failure

They're easy to replace, as you can see in this handy YouTube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rEWhySei08

You'll probably have to just install Windows on the new drive, so be prepared for an entire day of running Windows Update.

The man. The myth. The legend.

PhillyPhanInDC

You can use the recovery disks you already have to restore Windows once you replace the drive.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

SunMo

two issues i'm having.

1.  My 5 year old HP laptop doesn't boot up.  When I start it, it goes through normal boot up process but when the desktop screen is supposed to load I get a message that says, "No bootbable disk available, Insert bootbable disk and press any key to continue"  Any key I press keeps repeating that same message.  I re-started it in safe mode and attempted to self-fix it and it says that self-repair is not available and that it's a hard disk problem.  Anything I can do here?

2.  Because of this issue, I don't have access to my iTunes.  I got a new iPhone 5 yesterday and installed iTunes on my work computer so that I can put my music on my phone.  I brought in my external hard drive in which I have my updated music library (I did that occasionally by copying the itunes folder from my laptop and putting it on the external).  When I copy the backup itunes folder onto my work computer, the songs all pop up in my itunes library.  However, when I go to sync my phone or play a song, the little exclamation point pops up and says that the song cannot be located.  Any idea why this is happening and is there anything I can do to fix it?

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Zanshin

1) Sounds like you need a new hard drive. If you can get it going enough, you might be able to work around the bad parts of it enough to transfer your data...if not, you'd need a new drive and some recovery discs. Happened to mine last year. After a couple of tries, I was able to get it going enough to fix the disk and save my data.

2) I hate iTunes. The files are there, but they're encrypted. There are a couple of workarounds for this, but it's a pain in the ass. Do a google search about restoring iTunes from a backup drive. I'm sure you'll find something that works.

General_Failure

You definitely need a new hard drive. At five years old, that's probably to be expected. On the plus side, you get to do a fresh install without all the stuff you may have installed and forgot about over the years.

phattymatty

Quote from: SunMo on June 13, 2013, 03:25:33 PM
2.  Because of this issue, I don't have access to my iTunes.  I got a new iPhone 5 yesterday and installed iTunes on my work computer so that I can put my music on my phone.  I brought in my external hard drive in which I have my updated music library (I did that occasionally by copying the itunes folder from my laptop and putting it on the external).  When I copy the backup itunes folder onto my work computer, the songs all pop up in my itunes library.  However, when I go to sync my phone or play a song, the little exclamation point pops up and says that the song cannot be located.  Any idea why this is happening and is there anything I can do to fix it?

are you actually copying the music files over or just the itunes folder? this happened to me once when i used an external too. wherever you synced them from your first time, itunes will look for them there every time after. so basically you just have to put all of the files on your work laptop and then add them to itunes from that location.

PhillyPhreak54

Same thing happened with my two year old Toshiba, Sunny. Except I never got the chance to retrieve anything - it just died and the recovery disks didn't do anything.

General_Failure

Don't rely on recovery discs. Back up to DVDs, thumb drives, and/or online file storage dealies like DropBox.

PhillyPhreak54

I should say that all of my pics were on a thumb drive...but programs and shtein..no.

ice grillin you

when a hard drive dies do you buy a new hard drive and install it or is it not worth it and do you just buy a new computer
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

Depends on who "you" is.  I replace the hard drive.  You buy a new computer.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

i would buy a new computer but not cause i stack chedder....because i cant put the drive in myself so after i paid someone to do it it would probably be cheaper to get a new machine

seems computers are so cheap these days that it would always be more monetarily advantageous to just buy new

PhillyPhreak54

I haven't priced the labor of repairing mine yet because I've been using my work laptop instead...but i will probably fix it. I think the hard drives were about $60.

General_Failure

Laptop hard drives are easier to replace than desktop hard drives. Desktop cases can be goofy sometimes, but for whatever machine you've got there's a dork on youtube with a video showing you how to change the hard drive.

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on June 13, 2013, 07:59:18 PM
I haven't priced the labor of repairing mine yet because I've been using my work laptop instead...but i will probably fix it. I think the hard drives were about $60.

i got a virus on my computer last week....i have a friend who fixed it for me for free...but before i called him i called best buy geek squad just out of curiosity and they said it would be $250.00....lol