Computer Geeks Unite! And farging help me!

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2006, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seabiscuit36

most blurays now have Hulu built in, even Blockbuster online.  I really dont use my blu Ray player often, but when i do, its worth it. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

charlie

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 18, 2011, 01:52:08 PM
understood but whatever "and more" is im sure i wont be using it.....i cant recall the last time i watched a dvd at home other than the wire...its been years...so i wont even be using that part of it

but im open to having my mind changed....what is all the other stuff it does

even if you don't go bluray... something like the apple tv has the following:
netflix
mlb.tv
nba game time
nhl.tv
youtube

as well as a new release movie rental options for things that aren't on the netflix streaming.

the ruku sucks

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 18, 2011, 11:00:21 AM
i appreciate the love for home theaters and blu rays and the like but that stuff just doesnt do anything for me....i dont need anything more than regular hd television....i just would like to get netflix streamed to it...and really i only wanna do that because they changed their service a couple months ago and its not worth getting the mail order service anymore

also if the nba wasnt DOA this year i wouldnt be getting netflix at all but im gonna have a lot more free weeknights this year...in other words im not trying to reinvent my tv wheel...i just wanna stream netflix movies

Wow man.  Where to begin....

Netflix - The Netflix library for instant streaming is pretty bad unless you enjoy 80's tv shows and bad movies.  The only "good" movies they have are movies that everyone has seen 1000's of times because they're on tv so much and you can't not watch them.....like Roadhouse or Footloose.  Every now and then they put up a decent new movie, but if you don't log into Netflix every day, you probably won't even know about it.  They do have a deep list of docs though, so you'd probably enjoy that. 

Home Theater - Why don't you have one?  Granted, the sound quality that comes from a lot of tv speakers is great compared to 20 years ago, but surround sound is where it's at.  Especially considering how much you watch sports.  You know the difference in the picture quality between standard and hi-def, right?  Well that's what a decent home theater will do for your audio. 

Blu Ray - I've watched exactly 3 blu ray movies in the year+ that I've had a blu ray player.  And while I will say that the picture and sound is noticeably better than dvd, I agree that it's not dramatic enough to make me want to watch movies strictly on blu ray.  They also play standard DVD's, so buying one won't render your DVD collection as obsolete. 

Blu Ray Home Theater - In addition to getting awesome surround sound that you can use while watching tv, Netflix or discs, you also get some great built in apps like Netflix, Vudu (which is more like pay per view movies with a bigger library to choose from), YouTube, Pandora and MLB.tv.  If I'm not mistaken, you're a subscriber to that so rather than trying to hook your laptop up to the tv, just stream through your Blu Ray

It's crazy what these things can do now and you need to stop thinking like an old white republican and embrace change. 

But, if you're going to be stubborn and stick with no surround sound and no blu ray, then you might want to at least consider this.  It has all the same apps that a Blu Ray player would have without the disc reader.  Of course, it's about the same price as a blu ray player, so I'm not sure why anyone would buy it, but what do I know? 

SunMo

i bought a sony blu ray player almost exclusively because it offered Amazon VOD and because it had a USB port in the front that i could plug my thumb drive into to play all my downloaded torrent movies
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhanInDC on October 18, 2011, 02:02:39 PM
Blu-ray player, VieraCast, Netflix, Amazon VOD, YouTube, Pandora, Twitter, CinemaNow, Built-in Wi-Fi, Skype, Verizon FiOS.....and on and on.

i didnt look that close but im pretty sure the roku had most of that....what do you mean by the blu ray having verizon fios?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

Quote from: charlie on October 18, 2011, 02:20:46 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on October 18, 2011, 01:52:08 PM
understood but whatever "and more" is im sure i wont be using it.....i cant recall the last time i watched a dvd at home other than the wire...its been years...so i wont even be using that part of it

but im open to having my mind changed....what is all the other stuff it does

even if you don't go bluray... something like the apple tv has the following:
netflix
mlb.tv
nba game time
nhl.tv
youtube

as well as a new release movie rental options for things that aren't on the netflix streaming.

the ruku sucks

i get all the sports packages already...and i dont understand why it matters that the apple thing or roku (it gets the nhl) "get" sports packages...its not like i can not buy the center ice package for FIOS and instead get it free thru roku....right?

Sgt PSN

Yeah, you still have to pay for those services, so if you get them through your cable provider, then there wouldn't be any benefit to it.

I think I remember you complaining about mlb.tv because you don't like to watch games on your laptop.  This would be a way for you to get it on your tv.  If you already purchased it online, you don't have to purchase it again.  Just log in from your tv.   

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on October 18, 2011, 02:34:56 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on October 18, 2011, 11:00:21 AM
i appreciate the love for home theaters and blu rays and the like but that stuff just doesnt do anything for me....i dont need anything more than regular hd television....i just would like to get netflix streamed to it...and really i only wanna do that because they changed their service a couple months ago and its not worth getting the mail order service anymore

also if the nba wasnt DOA this year i wouldnt be getting netflix at all but im gonna have a lot more free weeknights this year...in other words im not trying to reinvent my tv wheel...i just wanna stream netflix movies

Wow man.  Where to begin....

Netflix - The Netflix library for instant streaming is pretty bad unless you enjoy 80's tv shows and bad movies.  The only "good" movies they have are movies that everyone has seen 1000's of times because they're on tv so much and you can't not watch them.....like Roadhouse or Footloose.  Every now and then they put up a decent new movie, but if you don't log into Netflix every day, you probably won't even know about it.  They do have a deep list of docs though, so you'd probably enjoy that. 

Home Theater - Why don't you have one?  Granted, the sound quality that comes from a lot of tv speakers is great compared to 20 years ago, but surround sound is where it's at.  Especially considering how much you watch sports.  You know the difference in the picture quality between standard and hi-def, right?  Well that's what a decent home theater will do for your audio. 

Blu Ray - I've watched exactly 3 blu ray movies in the year+ that I've had a blu ray player.  And while I will say that the picture and sound is noticeably better than dvd, I agree that it's not dramatic enough to make me want to watch movies strictly on blu ray.  They also play standard DVD's, so buying one won't render your DVD collection as obsolete. 

Blu Ray Home Theater - In addition to getting awesome surround sound that you can use while watching tv, Netflix or discs, you also get some great built in apps like Netflix, Vudu (which is more like pay per view movies with a bigger library to choose from), YouTube, Pandora and MLB.tv.  If I'm not mistaken, you're a subscriber to that so rather than trying to hook your laptop up to the tv, just stream through your Blu Ray

It's crazy what these things can do now and you need to stop thinking like an old white republican and embrace change. 

its not about embracing change its about me just not caring about stuff like that...it isnt as if ive never heard an awesome home theater i just dont care enough about it....hi def tv was an outrageous advancement so i got it and loved it....as you know i dont even have a cell phone not because im being stubborn because i dont like them and dont wanna pay for one...but its not like i wouldnt use my girls or a friends if i wanted to make a call...im not trying to make some sort of statement...i just dont need or want most technological advancements

Quote from: Sgt PSN on October 18, 2011, 03:03:36 PM
Yeah, you still have to pay for those services, so if you get them through your cable provider, then there wouldn't be any benefit to it.

I think I remember you complaining about mlb.tv because you don't like to watch games on your laptop.  This would be a way for you to get it on your tv.  If you already purchased it online, you don't have to purchase it again.  Just log in from your tv.   

now that is something id be interested in....in other words instead of buying extra innings for 200 bucks i could get the mlb.com package for 99 or whatever it is now and just run it to my tv thru the blu ray player??

Sgt PSN

Exactly.

But you still need surround sound.  If nothing else, you'll be able to hear crack whores giving off camera bj's in the alley when you're watching The Wire. 

ice grillin you

and it will be equivalent picture quality?

@ppdc....the link you posted is obviously a blu ray...if i were to get that instead is that the exact model i should get or were you just showing an example of a bluray player

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 18, 2011, 03:14:13 PM

@ppdc....the link you posted is obviously a blu ray...if i were to get that instead is that the exact model i should get or were you just showing an example of a bluray player

I love me some Panasonic stuff. That was just an example of a quality joint under a bill. The FiOS thing gives you access to a lot of the stuff they don't have in their OnDemand library. Most of them have HBO Go and shtein now too. There are just way to many of those deals to count anymore.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

ice grillin you

ok you sold me....so i should get the one in the link you posted and ill be fine?

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 18, 2011, 03:14:13 PM

That's the million dollar question.  When I stream MLB.tv through my blu ray, I don't get the "best" picture quality.  It's not bad either, but will get a little grainy sometimes.  I also sometimes have to deal with lag or buffering.  There have been times when watching a Phils game and posting on here that I find myself a half inning behind in the action by the time we get to the 5th or 6th inning.  That is probably more on my internet provider than anything else though.  My only choice for the interwebz is Charter and they suck balls.  I live in a small town, but everyone here is using the same provider so I'm sure that impacts things like video streaming.  If I lived in/near LA I would probably be much better off. 

PhillyPhanInDC

That Panasonic would be a good buy....not sure if it has the wi-fi....if your TV isn't near your router, you might want that.

To the picture quality, if you have FiOS, the picture quality should be the same.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

hbionic

I'm looking into buying an external drive...does it matter what brand it is?

I see at best buy, a 500GB external drive by Western Digital runs for $90.

Is that about right?
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05