Computer Geeks Unite! And farging help me!

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2006, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on February 22, 2011, 08:29:01 PM
Give me your opinions on this lap-top please:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Pentium%26%23174%3B+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+320GB+Hard+Drive+-+Helios+Gray/1830082.p?id=1218296144574&skuId=1830082

I was just at Best Buy looking at a similar Toshiba, guy finally convinced me to buy it but they're out of stock. So I left. How is the Toshiba you bought holding up and do you have a link to it?

Rome

I had a Toshiba and had no issues with it.  My Sony Vaio is still going strong although it's getting a little obsolete now.  Probably time for an upgrade.

SD

Thanks for the feedback. I really just need something for surfing the web and doing minor office type stuff.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: SD on April 03, 2011, 07:11:29 PM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on February 22, 2011, 08:29:01 PM
Give me your opinions on this lap-top please:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Pentium%26%23174%3B+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+320GB+Hard+Drive+-+Helios+Gray/1830082.p?id=1218296144574&skuId=1830082

I was just at Best Buy looking at a similar Toshiba, guy finally convinced me to buy it but they're out of stock. So I left. How is the Toshiba you bought holding up and do you have a link to it?

Its worked pretty well, I only have two complaints and that is the speakers seem to have some distortion on occasion and the webcam is sometimes too dark. It works great 99% of the time in normal low level lighting but sometimes when I turn it on its dark and even the settings dont help brighten it up. I have to turn on an overhead light.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-C655-S5128-Satellite-Laptop/dp/B004QIKAA2

I bought it at best buy for $495 (plus $99 for Microsoft Office). All I use it for is internet and work spreadsheets and order entries on company software.

Sgt PSN

The speakers on Toshiba laptops are terrible.  Always have been, always will be I suspect.  Definitely want to get some sort of external speaker for it.  If you don't want a big multi piece set, try one of these clip on speakers that is usb powered. 

CLICK ME!

reese125

If anybody wants speakers for their home laptop, pc or mac I highly recommend these. Fantastic bass and clarity for the price. You'll thank me.

Creative GigaWorks T20 Series II 2.0 Multimedia Speaker System with BasXPort Technology

Sgt PSN

SD

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on April 03, 2011, 10:19:15 PM
Its worked pretty well, I only have two complaints and that is the speakers seem to have some distortion on occasion and the webcam is sometimes too dark. It works great 99% of the time in normal low level lighting but sometimes when I turn it on its dark and even the settings dont help brighten it up. I have to turn on an overhead light.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-C655-S5128-Satellite-Laptop/dp/B004QIKAA2

I bought it at best buy for $495 (plus $99 for Microsoft Office). All I use it for is internet and work spreadsheets and order entries on company software.

The speaker issue holds true with what I've been reading through customer feedback. The other complaint was the battery life is listed as 5 hours but people were saying they barely got 2.

Sgt PSN

Yeah, Toshiba batteries aren't that great either.  The one youre looking at is a newer version of mine.  For the money though, they aren't terrible and as far as computer functions go, they work well.

Sgt PSN

Maybe you caught the last day of a sale or something. 

I've got a problem now:

My desktop is an HP running Windows XP and over the last couple of days it would just shut off for no reason and then freeze during start up.  Then last night it simply refused to power on.  Is this a computer problem itself or maybe just a problem with the internal electrical components?  Or is my description/problem too vague for you nerds to be able to give me a sound opinion? 

reese125

A lot consistent freezes and shut down are due to a graphics card issue. Doesn't matter how long you had it either, the card can go or start to go at any time. When you say shut off do you mean it goes into sleep mode and you can get out or complete shut down with no green light?

I would take that puppy into geek squad and see if you fried an internal component. Hope you backed your data up too.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: reese125 on April 05, 2011, 11:56:43 AM
A lot consistent freezes and shut down are due to a graphics card issue. Doesn't matter how long you had it either, the card can go or start to go at any time. When you say shut off do you mean it goes into sleep mode and you can get out or complete shut down with no green light?

I would take that puppy into geek squad and see if you fried an internal component. Hope you backed your data up too.

Complete shut down, as in turned off.  And yeah, I've got mostly everything backed up.  Did a backup about 3 weeks ago so I might lose a few pics or something if the thing is dead. 

ice grillin you

anyone with comcast email (sus) know how to change the font size of email text...i know how to do it in an individual email by using the drop down font menu but is there a way to set it to a particular size where each time you write a new email that size will automatically be used
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Susquehanna Birder

If you're using the web client, look on the menu bar for Preferences. On the next page, click on Composing. Are you composing in HTML format?